1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

yes, as LA county shows, it is not all political. It gets hot, and people are just sick (poor word choice) of all this. As I’ve said, we are mostly not a patient (ouch!) country that delays gratification.

mdrowe00, Ubiquitin, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Of course for the most part it isn't political. People seem to be rooting for disaster. Only feeding Trump support.

Opening up was risky but in Texas it it seems to be working out fine

3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

It’s really frustrating when I see pictures of all these maskless people in close proximity to each other, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the coronavirus is still a thing.

Living in Beijing has its fair share of problems, but one thing I notice is that while everything is already opened up, people are still adhering to basic social distancing rules and never going out without a mask (you get the LOOK from everyone if you don’t wear one).

I think opening up is good. Necessary, even. But people have got to stop being so ****ing selfish and sacrifice something. It’s not that hard. Whether it’s wearing a mask, giving up on beaches for a while, not hanging out with your bros for a few weeks, giving up a little bit of your fun could save somebody’s life. I don’t know why so many still can’t wrap their heads around that.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. body slam

body slam Member

I've noticed the same in NW Houston/Cypress area from last weekend to this weekend. If anything I would say the 16-25 y/o crowd not taking mask as serious as the others.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think the next coming months will really test our healthcare system unfortunately.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

As of May 24, Texas has 55,348 total cases of COVID-19. 49% percent of those cases (27,261) have occurred from May 1 - May 24. There have been 737 confirmed COVID-19 deaths in the first 24 days of May, which is 48.5% of Texas’ total (1,519).

#487 DVauthrin, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Most Americans like the easy way out. I'm not beyond cutting corners, except in this case, people around me might get sick or worse...

B-Bob, RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

And your point is? Testing also ramped up over that period.

10. bigtexxx

Lol. It hasn’t been tested so far! Maybe in certain areas of NYC, but not long at all.

11. Major

Major Member

Keep in mind that when we say "total cases", it really means "cases confirmed with testing", which we know was lacking badly in March/April. So we also have to look at what % of Texas' tests were conducted during that period?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Senator

Senator Member

Meh, church parking lots were empty today and I didn't see any partying in the Woodlands or Memorial.
    Employees wore masks, no one caused a scene, people were defnitely out, but you wouldn't have known it was memorial weekend outside of the flags.
    I would have some kind of free service or something volunteers like you and I can do where we check up on those susceptible to infection or make sure they have the supplies they need. The warm weather is going to slow down the transmission a lot and bail out a lot of those disobeying social distancing.
    October-November when things will get interesting..

13. Buck Turgidson

I am absolutely certain that you go to Church every Sunday

Or I hope you do.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

According to the COVID Tracking Project, in March, 42,991 tests were conducted, with 3,266 new cases.

As of April 29, Texas had conducted 314,790 tests, a 632% increase from March. According to the COVID Tracking Project, Texas conducted 271,798 tests in the first 29 days of April, and there were 23,788 new cases for those days.

As of May 23, Texas had conducted 751,120 total tests (800,433 total tests - 49,313 antibody tests). That’s 436,330 tests from April 30 through May 23, with 27,455 new cases during that time frame.

#494 DVauthrin, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

Today was another lowest daily death rate since March 29th...

16. Nook

Nook Member

The numbers reported always come out slow during a weekend and this is a 3-4 day weekend. The numbers still may ultimately be lower, but keep the reporting in mind.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

you might really learn a lot from a documentary about our country: It is called Idiocracy.

RayRay10 and Roomba like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem is that the stupid people who won't wear a mask or think this is like the flu or they will survive don't give a **** about anyone but themselves, so that causes those of us that are trying to help slow the curve to not have as much impact - if this disease would just kill the Covidiots, then great, but it doesn't it kills those that are trying to socially distance as well.

Our country has dropped significantly no longer leads in education, science, but it is picking up in people who believe in ghosts, UFOs and angels....

Those going to church are not only going to kill themselves, but take others with them.....tell you what though I would settle for that if we just start taxing them since they are now essential BUSINESSES!

WOOHOOO...USA...USA....US of ****ing A.

DD