1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona freshman center DeAndre Ayton will be a top 3 pick in 2018 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketsTruth, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Major

Major Member

Right now, there's a disincentive for boosters though. Billionaire booster is going to be banned from the school he loves if he gets caught right now. That's the worst thing for a guy like T. Boone Pickens because they are obsessed with their schools. If he can openly pay players, he'll spend a few million and just go get the 5 best basketball recruits in the country and try to openly buy a championship.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Fair enough, that's a good point. I guess that kind of just goes to show that it's a lot more complicated issue than simply a binary decision between compensating players up to fair market value and keeping the status quo.

I think we're just reaching a critical mass where something needs to change, and I wonder if this scandal in college basketball is the most impactful domino to fall.

3. TerenceC

TerenceC New Member

I hope this never happens. They should keep things as pure as possible at college level.

4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Ayton on defense reminds me WAY to much of KAT. Physical specimens without good instincts. Except KAT was far more polished on offense than Ayton. Ayton's size and length alone could make him a game-changing rebounder on both ends, If he even gets his defensive instincts to "average" then he could turn into an Andre Drummond type player, 13+ boards a game, two-ish bocks per game, but his ability to deny opponents possessions can make up for some suspect defensive effort/instinct. Ayton didn't shoot the three very well in college and was a mediocre free throw shooter, but his mid-range jumper is passable and he has shown some abilities off the dribble against slower bigs. I think realistically he will turn into a Drummond-Nene hybrid, an all star player for sure, but barring major improvement in either his defensive instincts or his shooting ability, I don't think he can be the #1 option on a contending team.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member