1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona freshman center DeAndre Ayton will be a top 3 pick in 2018 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketsTruth, Nov 2, 2017.

1. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Is it me or does he remind anyone else of David Robinson, i like how the video showed his mistakes too

the top 3 picks will be betwee porter, ayton and doncic

#1 RocketsTruth, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. Normalus

Normalus Member

The way he runs the floor makes me wonder how many games he would miss due knee injuries in his career.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  3. omgTHEpotential

I'm impressed. Dude already seems like a bigger, more polished version of Capela.

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Just watched the SMU-Arizona game (go Ponies) and Ayton looks legit. Could definitely see him being one of the next great big-men, his defense/explosiveness/athletecism/length/strength is all off the charts, and he can apparently shoot too. He doesn't look extremely polished at this point, but he clearly has good instincts.

BigMaloe and The Stig like this.
  5. The Stig

The Stig Member

His Defense was what impressed me the most. But, I'm not sure if yesterday's game was a good indicator of how good he was on offense since we (Go Ponies too!) ran a 5 guard lineup against Zona. The tallest guy on our roster is 6'8 (Chargois) and Foster (6'6) guarded him most of the time. Must've been a weird a game for Ayton. Game plan was to run him out to the perimeter to neutralize his interior presence hence the crazy amount of rebounds for the Ponies despite the major gap in height.

6. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

Brandon McCoy scored 33 on him tho.

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dude is legit.

9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Hes a big guy. Skills of Myles Turner with the body of Deandre Jordan

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think whoever nabs him top 5 will be drafting the next Lamarcus Aldridge.

I think Doncic is a risk at one.

This kid has some nastiness to him as well.

@Codman

I know you follow the younger guys. What do you think of this kid?

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

5-10 years ago this guy is a NO BRAINER #1 franchise guy.

It doesn't mean he still can't be. He can be a better KAT, or a better Embiid... potentially. Now, it should be noted he is so dominant size/athleticism wise relative to his competition generally in the NCAA. And in today's NBA, you'd take a future Steph over a future KAT 10 times out of 10... if you knew both would pan out that way.

I just can't pinpoint where Trae Young ends up either. And regarding Doncic, the athleticism ceiling continues to be his bugaboo. Otherwise, he'd be the clear cut #1 even above everyone in this great class. But he has that issue.

Porter hasn't played yet. And Bagley might be the best of all of them all said and done...

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You were spot on re. Ayton and no doubt he'll be a top 3 pick but I think either Porter or Doncic will fall and Jaren Jackson or Bagley will take that spot.

I think Jaren Jackson Jr is outstanding and I'm surprised there's no thread on him here or on the two top small forwards- the Bridges- Miles and Mykal.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

14. Nook

Nook Member

So at what point do we stop with the bullshit that these fine institutions and coaches and the NCAA are helping turn these poor black kids into fine men. This is about older (mostly white) men exploiting and profiting off 18 year olds (mostly black) and making millions while throwing crumbs at the players under the table.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Free education.
    Free training for a very very lucrative career

That seems like there is some monetary value there. Also,if they start paying the players, the competitive balance will be tilted big time. Can UH afford to pay salaries to it’s players? How many schools can? And how much?

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Will it? Balance isn't there now. Best players go to the top schools.

Sean Miller is done at AZ. Probably will have to go NBA assistant route or broadcasting for a couple of years.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

There is value there, to be sure, but just not equal to the value that the players bring in to the universities in the cases of the biggest programs in the country.

I don't think the endgame is going to be schools paying salaries to players. I think what we end up with is a system whether student-athletes can:

1. Hire representation and make money off of their likeness
    2. Use financial aid dollars in any way they choose, similar to the way it works in NAIA athletics.

Or both.

Neither option really costs the schools any more money, at least not directly. The former option might create some headaches for coaches who would then have to deal with players who would become bigger celebrities than they already would have been and who also might be making pretty good money in endorsements, but that seems like a fair trade-off for the players who make it possible for the coaches to make the salaries that they do.

18. Major

Major Member

This will basically just turn into boosters paying athletes to come to their schools. It would be even worse than salaries by schools because it would just be a handful of billionaire boosters running all of college basketball.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

But that kind of already happens to a certain degree, and I don't think it would make inequity in college basketball (or football) any worse. I'm actually not all that worried about that.

I'm FOR the players making money, however that happens. If that's from a booster, OK. If that's from the campus bookstore having shirts made with his number and name on the back, great. If that's because he does commercials for a local car dealership, awesome. For that matter, let them make a living off of an agent simply saying "Sign with my agency, and I'll pay you X dollars every year until you sign a pro contract."

To me, the amateurism model is an unsustainable dinosaur of a system that the NCAA clings to because it's the only way they stay relevant as an organization, and it needs to go.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No one wants boosters in college ball. If a booster can pay someone to attend a college that booster can also pay players to lose games on purpose in order to make money on bets. If NCAA is to start paying players, they need to do it officially.