1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you okay with the Rockets trading Parsons/Lin or Asik for a lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, May 21, 2014.

?

Are you okay with trading Parsons for a lottery pick?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2014.
  1. Yes. Parsons will demand a lot of next year anyways, and there is a hole at PG/PF.

138 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. No. Parsons is too important for this team.

93 vote(s)
    40.3%
  1. Swishh

Swishh Member

The Jazz at #5, and the Kings at #8 have both been mentioned as potential teams that are looking to trade their picks. The Celtics at #6 have been mentioned as well.

Would you be willing to part with Parsons/Jones/Lin or Asik,etc - or whatever it would take - in order to get a lottery pick and a chance to draft someone like Marcus Smart (PG) , or Randle/Vonleh for the PF spot?

I am. I feel that Parsons is due for a big pay day and will want a lot of money, due to his rookie contract being so low. I am not okay with paying Parsons the 10+ million that he will likely ask for, or get offered from other teams.

A glue guy like Parsons isn't that hard to replace, and for much less than 10+ million.

2. Orange

Orange Member

I would trade lin for an empty bag of chips so I dont know why his name is brought up. He has negative trade value

2 people like this.
  3. hooroo

hooroo Member

If those teams are willing to settle they would still want at the very least an All Star in return

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

lol at thinking that these players net a lottery pick...nice

5. rullrich

rullrich Member

I would...but not if we intend to actually keep the pick. We'd have to get real lucky with that pick to find a starter to take Parsons place. Just don't see that happening.

6. thething

thething Contributing Member

Yes--for the same reasons as the Lowry trade. A lottery pick is more attractive to a rebuilding team.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets are trying to win now, not trade away players for lottery picks/unknowns.

{Ohhhh, some of you want to trade those picks for an established 'star' like Kevin Love. But even if those trades did pan out{I don't think they would}, no guarantee Minnesota accepts.

I mean, if 6 or 7 was gonna get you Kevin Love, why wouldn't Boston do it themselves? Not as if they're lacking in the assets department.}

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

Parsons/Jones/ Asik and the Rockets first rounder may be able to.

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

depend on the player

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'm okay with giving Parsons a Nic Batum contract. They are almost identical players. However I am not okay with doing it before the Rockets acquire the third star using the Lin/Asik capspace.

Lin or Asik for a lotto pick? Yes

Parsons for #6-14 No

Parsons for # 5 maybe I believe this draft is 5 star players deep, Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Exum, and Randle.

Parsons in a package for Love? Yes

Ultimately I'm still wanting Lin, Asik, and our # 25 to the Celtics for their trade exception and then sign Melo.

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

I like reading your insight.

However, I think the Rockets can still be in win-now mode by trading anyone aside from Harden/Howard.

As to why the Celtics wouldn't trade for Love - I don't see Love signing long term with them - who knows how Rondo will hold up.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lin? Lottery pick? In a trade?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm not really ok with giving Parsons a KAHHHNNNN overpay, I'm not sure why anyone is.

The poll needs more options, if it was part of a greater trade, sure, if it was straight up, no

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would not do this unless there was already a deal in place to send draft picks for a 3rd star. I don't know why there's so much talk in the GARM lately about trading our guys for draft picks. We're in win now mode. Who cares about trading up in the draft.

15. joesr

joesr Member

hahahhaha

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

If that were the case, then Parsons wouldn't be getting the big contract he most certainly will get.

I want to get a third star and then keep Parsons. If Les has to pay luxury tax money to keep Parsons, I really don't care.

A draft pick in the 5-10 range is far from a sure thing. Many times it takes a young player several years to develop, and the Rockets are nearing a point where they will be in win now mode. I would not trade a sure thing for a player that may or may not develop in a few years. I also don't think trading Parsons for a draft pick would be very popular with Howard or Harden.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I think the idea was trade for a lotto pick to flip for Love.

Just like trading Lowry to Toronto and that pick for Harden.

Question is if you could somehow get into the top 5 by trading say Parsons, Jones, and # 25 would you keep the pick or flip it for Love if Minnesota agreed? Rookies the caliber of Wiggins and Parker help immediately and are cheaper and younger than Love.

We are in win now mode but c'mon Harden is 24 and Howard is what 28? That's not exactly old.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks.

I'd definitely trade {Lin or Asik} for a lottery pick if possible. Parsons, Lin, AND Asik? Or even 2 of the 3? No. You'd be trading your [player] assets for draft picks. What happens if you get stuck with those picks? Stuck with rookies on again, a win now team.

Not quite comparable but just a few years ago the Rockets had 14(traded up to 12), 16, and 18, and they were looking to do something big with those. They got stuck with them and had to choose players, although yes, one of those did help in acquiring James Harden.

I think the Celtics would take a chance. But say you're right and Boston isn't interested in taking that risk, why not LA at 7, if a lottery pick is good enough? I mean, they don't have much to offer outside of their current draft pick but they'd definitely be willing.

19. Swishh

Swishh Member

So you're okay with paying Parsons 10+ million to be the 4th option on the team (after getting the 3rd star) ?

20. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Morey won't trade Parsons, Lin, or Asik for a pick unless he has another deal in place. Cyberx said that Houston's most realistic target is Luol Deng. Dent can't defend fours thus eliminating the stretch four idea. Why else would we sign Deng unless we were planning to trade Parsons? Morey is already speaking with other teams about trading up.... I can feel it.