1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Poor and Working Class People Represented Well by Major Network Television and Hollywood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 26, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It seems like every adult on television is a lawyer or well compensated sales exec, or etc. If you think poor and working class people aren't represented fairly do you think Hollywood and Major Network Television has a responsibility to represent them especially with the growing wealth disparity.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Two Broke Girls sucked and I do not want anymore of that

Big MAK and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Allyssa milano and harvey weinstein represent the libs.

IBTL and Cohete Rojo like this.
  4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

For the most part, people want to watch interesting people to interesting things, and if your characters have a means to do so, it'll be more interesting. There have been alternative cases, however. Heck, the Honeymooners was "working class"..."Married with Children", "Roseanne", "The Middle" etc. Right now, however, there seems to be a dearth of "working class" representation.

Even African American represented shows tend to be upper class, or at least upper middle. "Blackish" comes to mind.

Maybe "Shameless" is the best example right now? I'd say that its probably a satire of a "poor" family for the most part.

pgabriel likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell as not represented by Fox News or the other junk you're absorbing

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't watch Fox news and dont understand why you have to make ish personal other than you need some female companionship

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I doubt it. . . . .
    People in the fly over states are probably not well represented
    in terns of numbers or quality

Rocket River

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Come on now: it's far easier to try to list anything that IS well represented by networks and Hollywood:

national and local police
    military
    guns
    murder and autopsy
    cars
    rich people/vampires/zombies
    food

Anything else on TV?

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There seems to be plenty of shows about cops, firemen, nurses, EMTs, etc...

biff17 likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They'd show more but there was too much controversy about how Good Times wasn't an accurate representation of a family in the projects

biff17, conquistador#11 and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I guess i did forget the obvious first responder type programs

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

In all seriousness it seems shows in the seventies were a lot more about working class families definitely as far as sitcoms go.

The funny thing is it seems unique to the seventies as opposed to the sixties and eighties

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Do those shows count? I don't see that they have a very realistic view of their lives outside of their work in most shows.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Most people's lives are boring. If you're asking if they have a responsibility to represent the lives of boring people in an entertaining way, then the answer is no. News media is different.

JuanValdez likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't think it inherently means people's lives are more exciting even in television plot terms, they just never have money problems

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't watch a lot of the dramas on TV so I'm not sure what kind of jobs the people on shows like This is Us or Life in Pieces have.

But even in the recent sitcoms like New Girl, King of Queens, The Middle, etc., their economic situation wasn't essential to the ongoing story.

I personally have little desire to see dramas about folks struggling in their day to day lives. Too much of that in real life

pgabriel likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I didn't even know you were a woman all this time.

My point is why do you single out the Networks and Hollywood when it's something that can be asked more broadly.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im just asking if our entertainment industry could help people be more aware of the emerging disparity in income or even if it has a responsibility to do so.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Certainly it could play a role. But asking rich people to care about poor usually doesn't work very well. It's one thing when it's a perceived common threat (like Climate Change) or if it's something that pulls on people's heartstrings (like a natural disaster). But something like wealth disparity isn't really an issue especially since we are in a capitalist system.

Really this is an issue that common people have to recognize and demand change around. Currently, people's low income are falsely being blamed on globalization and immigration - but that's a distraction. The real reason is that corporations need to continually cut costs to raise shareholder value and salary increases for upper level executives.

Hard work is no longer a guarantee for a good life in America.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I wonder if the entertainment industry has a responsibility not to do this crap:

How many murders have you witnessed in real life? And on TV? Something is WAY out of whack in the entertainment industry.

pgabriel likes this.