1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Unimpressed by Online Classes, College Students Demand Refunds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, May 4, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think most parents/students footing the bill for college expect more than what online classes offer, especially at private universities. Students are also expecting the social aspect of university, which will be heavily curtailed in the fall.

College professors have deep experience with teaching in a classroom, but little to no experience on what makes online classes work. Thus, not only are the classes online, the students are riding the learning the learning curve with their professors.

I would not be surprise if a non-trivial number of the fall incoming freshman class decides to do a gap year next year. I do not blame them.

Needless to say but most colleges are not set up financially to deal with a significant loss of revenue. This could get ugly quick.

[AP] Unimpressed by Online Classes, College Students Demand Refunds

An anonymous reader quotes the Associated Press:

One student there complains that some classes are now taught almost entirely with recorded videos, while a legal action filed against the University of California at Berkeley "says some professors are simply uploading assignments, with no video instruction at all."

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm doing an online school right now and yeah it is not the same. Entirely self-taught just using books and videos from LinkedIn Learning.

But:

1) This was always an online school and I knew what I was getting into when I signed up;
    2) I'm not 18-22; I'm 33 and want to just do the course material and get the damn degree. I don't need or want the "social" aspect of it.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Throughout my life, I attended three universities and one community college. In only about 10% of my lecture classes were there any low-level personal interaction between the professors and students. The mass amount of teaching came through the professor regurgitating textbooks (usually their own) and myself alone and/or groups of other students working together as a team to piece the material together and learn it. Sounds like nothing has changed and I'm actually surprised at the uproar.

If it's the social aspect they're missing...go create an account on christianmingle.com and have at it. Jeesh.

Now my lab classes were always awesome. Lot's of low-level interaction between professors and/or teaching assistants.

Additionally...my daughter is graduating high school next month. She's wanting to go off to school...but if the environment is shaping up the way it looks, we may do the year or semester skip.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm teaching myself physics and all the parts of the body in 4 weeks. It's crazy stupid hard but yo boi getting 100s cause it's open book.

5. HTM

HTM Member

U.S. universities quickly getting up there with some of the most reviled institutions.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm glad there's an uproar. The price point on education doesn't make sense. It's not consumer friendly and needs disruption.

Buck Turgidson and boomboom like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I lacked respect for online classes before this
    Mainly core classes. . .they are useless and wastes of time and money
    Practical classes lack interaction sucks. . .you cannot do welding online
    Even instruction on how to use programs like Premiere Pro or some other specific programs
    fall short . .. because generally you using the book more than the prof

Classes that require more explaination are harder because there is no immediate conversation
    Emails are like hours between responses kind of shut down communications

USer of Zooms and conference calls helps but only in small classe
    30 people on a zoom is batshit crazy unless the Prof has a firm grasp of how to control the meeting

it really is not the same.
    Social interaction does NOT happen in the class room
    it is before and after class. . . . . if you kid goes to college
    The future maybe zoom classes while in the cafeteria or library of some location
    then leave and meetup with friends after

Rocket River

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Having an environment of young people getting together at the start of their lives is a great catalyst for personal development. You can do nothing but socialize and slowly understand how networking works. Or you can compete with others for a few spots, learn how to work together while secretly stab each other behind the back. Diversity quotas help our social progress by forcing kids who never mingled before for the first time and possibly understanding their perceived differences a bit more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's pretty much half of what people learn from their expensive MBAs.

These kids should rightfully demand a discount. There's plenty of free material w/ semi-supervised course work for people to learn adequately.
    https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey guys, I took a 3 hour course and now I are programmer. HELLO WORLD! Where's my 6 figures?!

boomboom likes this.