1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever lived in Alaska?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What's it like?

My wife and I are going to look into what it's like to live in Anchorage. Admittedly, it'd be kind of crazy,considering we've never been. It's something that both of us have always thought would be cool, and we are somewhat spontaneous. The only thing holding us back would be that we live close to her family now, and she would get a little homesick.

So, what's it like if anyone has ever lived there? Low taxes, lots of outdoors, awesome wildlife, wide open spaces, are among other things that have me interested.

I'm curious about the cost of living. I'm curious about the long summer days and long winter nights.

I want to hear the good and bad...

2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to Anchorage for work a couple of weeks ago...

Some observations...

It was rather surreal to buy beer at what felt like 5:30 pm only to look at my watch and realize that it was actually midnight.

As a newcomer to golf, I am blown away at the thought of being able to tee off at 8 pm and play an entire round.

Apparently, all residents of Alaska get annual kickbacks from the Oil companies that are currently raping the Northern Slope.

Cost of living is high. On par with Honolulu.

Everyone is experienced at evading Polar Bears. Seriously.

That's all I got for now, but I am going back in a few weeks so maybe I will accumulate a few more observations.

#2 crose, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't have anything to add, but I am curious as to why Anchorage specifically? You could have picked Juneau, or Honolulu or Boise, ID just to throw random cities out there that seem to have a spontaneity factor to them.

All that said, good for y'all. YOLO, right?

Although, don't underestimate being by family, especially if you ever plan to have kids.
    But if that's a bit off, and you want to do a 1-5 year thing, I think it sounds cool... I just woudl consdier a number of spots that interest you.

Oh, and you should check out the city data forums.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When it gets dark, the vampires terrorize the village.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I never personally lived there but my father was raised there.

From hix experiences as a kid, he loved it. He was an avid fisher and outdoorsmen when growing up and just couldn't get enough of the place. He did say that there are a lot of draw backs though. The brutal winters, the nearly non-stop day-light, and the total seclusion from the rest of the world. He felt that he was locked in a time warp once my grandmother and him moved to Texas. Depression and alcoholism are major issues in Alaska as well. Most of it due to previously said seclusion and the lack of a "true" body time clock driven by their being nearly no night for huge portions of the year.

He said he would love to go back for visits but he would never live there again. It's a great vacation destination, but unless you're born there it almost always won't be for you.

2 people like this.
  6. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Also, When the opposite takes hold and there is little day-light, the level of depression sky rockets there. It's a difficult place to live unless you have the right mindset.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I laughed hard at this.

8. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

(Sorry more thoughts keeping popping up)

Just for reference my father and our family originate from Norway and settled in Wis/Min areas. He lived in Nova Scotia, Canada before moving to Alaska with my grandmother. He loved his child hood experiences there, but has vehemently said that the place he calls home and is by far the greatest place he's ever lived was Texas.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Sarah Palin lives there.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:cool: They give you $1000 when you get there.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I lived in Eagle River (just outside of Anchorage) for about five years in the 1980's. As a young teenager, it was a great place to live. The fishing and wildlife were incredible. I skied (both downhill and cross-country) all of the time and played lots of sports. We lived on a mountain and I saw moose and bear regularly. I once saw a lynx while walking to school. For me, the long and short days you have in summer and winter were exciting, too. For other people, like my mother, the lack of sun can be difficult.
    Having said that, I am not sure how much I would enjoy the place as an adult. It might be a little boring. People tend to go a little stir crazy.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Never lived but spent two weeks working there. It's the most expensive place in the USA to buy anything.

13. underoverup

underoverup Member

You can see Russia!

14. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Everyone I met from Alaska either drank a ton or did a lot of drugs. They love the wild life there. It does get depressing when you don't have a lot of daylight through the year. I wanted to go because one buddy said you could go to the stream in this forest and just pick up Salmon that floated upstream.

15. Buck Turgidson

If you think the gulf coast has a mosquito problem, just wait until you get to Alaska, plus they have blackflies too!

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I had forgotten this tidbit; TC Boyle himself told me.

17. Buck Turgidson

Cousin of mine who works for me now lived in Alaska (Homer) for about 20 years, was a whitewater guide on the Matanuska River and owned and ran a bar/lodge. Lots of great stories. He said the blackflies can get so thick that they will suffocate a moose just by the sheer numbers of them congregating around the mouth and nose and being inhaled.

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

big ass mosquitoes

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Some very good friends of mine lived in Anchorage for a year due to work, and they said it was beautiful around there, lots of scenery to see, but that the mosquitos deserved the rep they have, and during the winter, it's generally freezing cold, and dark... for a very long time. And it's expensive. They enjoyed the experience, but wouldn't have gone if he'd not had the work thingy.

20. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

She can see Russia from her backyard.
    Really
    [​IMG]