1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Austin CC members work for Dell Financial Services?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GATER, Oct 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I'm not sure if this is an appropiate question to ask...I guess if the thread doesn't get locked or too far off topic, it was OK.

I am a professional with a degree and experience but have unfortunately been unemployed for a lengthy time in the currently poor job market. DFS has extended an interview to me in the near future and I was wondering if any of ya'all may by chance already be employed there?

(Yes, I already know they will work me hard for many hours...that's easier to deal with than having my home repossessed ;) ).

2. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Dell is the devil.
    - Love, Steve Jobs

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Sorry. The only person I know working at Dell is the daughter of one of the VP's. Somehow she got around the whole nepotism thing. I'm not sure exactly what department she work in though.

4. GATER

A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do... ;)

You got connection with Apple's Austin facility, "Steve"? :) :cool:

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Kettler?

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I seem to remember Brian Kagy worked for Dell.

7. Mulder

Got lots of friends in tech support. Starting out it sucks (being a phone monkey) and you wanna kill yourself but after awhile it is tolerable. It helps that you start to realize that they are a very innovative company.

8. Mulder

Damn this no edit. I wanted to add that you can usually contact Adecco who does their contract work, get on a 18 month contract. After 6 months you can be hired by Apple as a permanent employee. Starts out around $12 an hour with adecco and goes up from there. After about 1.5 years I was making around $35K as a Help Desk agent.

9. GATER

Mulder -
    I genuinely appreciate the advice. And I'm pretty Tech Support saavy having done that for SAP (software) for nearly 5 years.

Something you will encounter as you gain more career experience is that your pay level rises. Unless there is a substantial need or high employee turnover, it is highly probable that I will hear an "over qualified" comment for any job below $40k/yr. The logic on the employers side is that as soon as the economy recovers, I will be gone. And it's probably true.

I was already aware of Adecco's technical placement abilities, maybe I just need to "knock on their door" a little more often. (Unfortunately not many Austin businesses use SAP). But I'll wait until after the DFS interview. ;)

Thanks again!

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Gater -- email me at thumbs@mai.com. I may be able to help you or at least provide some options you may not have considered.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Drat! I meant mail.com (no edit).

12. GATER

On the way. Talk with you there!