1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Davis Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Oct 30, 2013.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

ESPN just published an article about how Lebron is having his most efficient start in his career days ago. I looked up the PER ranking today, and I see AD sits right above LBJ and Love at the top, and he's younger than a lot of rookies.

Pre draft, Hollinger's formula predicted AD to be better than Love by some margin and Morey repeatedly said what a transcendent player he would be...

I don't think anyone in 2014 draft would top him.

2. clippy

clippy Member

It is more likely someone will score 100 pts again.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

It's probably a little too early to say something like that, but there is no doubt the kid is special.

---------------------------------------------------
    What I wanted to show you guys is that, while his defense is widely celebrated, it is his offense that the Pelicans seem to rely on more often than not.

Every night, Davis has the ability to get a double-double simply by outworking his opponents and using his natural talent. And the truth is, the one-on-one matchup doesn't seem to have a bearing on Davis' output. He's had great games against traditional/lumbering centers (Pau game 1, Hibbert, Kanter, Biyombo?) and poor games (Marc w/o ZBo, Pau game 2). Great games against mobile bigs (Vucevic, Hawes) and poor games (Plumlee x2).

However, a pattern emerges when you give his opponent another shot at him.

Legend: Increased/Decreased/Negligible change

Pts/Reb/Ast/Blk/Stl/FG%/FGA/FTA

LAL Game 1(WIN): 32/12/3/6/1/67%/18/11
    ----Game 2(LOSS): 15/5/2/0/2/55%/11/4

PHX Game 1 (LOSS): 17/11/0/5/0/36%/14/8
    -----Game 2 (LOSS): 14/12/1/1/4/39%/13/5

It is interesting to note that, purely based on the numbers, the key to beating him is to limit his shot attempts (including FTA).

It makes a lot of sense if you think about it: Davis has a raw offensive game so most of his buckets come off of quick-hitting easy buckets, thus you can take him out of the game by denying him the ball and hustling to limit his fast break and 2nd chance opportunities. Thus NO has designed their offense around him, so they struggle a bit when he doesn't get going.

Basically, if Davis is denied his bread and butter, NO is forced into tougher shots and is more likely to lose.

ORtg in wins:134
    ------losses:113

Contrast that with his defense:
    DRtg in wins:82
    ------losses:108

Besides demonstrating the importance of Davis's offense (rather than defense) in wins, these numbers also illustrate Davis' innate ability to get himself involved on defense even if his shots are not falling. That is the hallmark of a star: the ability to influence the game in multiple ways.

Scary good.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

The ESPN article was talking about him shooting 60% from the field and 50% from threes, not so much PER... (IIRC). Those are some incredible percentages, and he has had back spasms early this year. Just incredible.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

22 Pts, 9 Reb, 4 Ast, 8 Blk, 9/12 shooting

6. Mr. Space City

watch out dwert. unibrow coming for that number 1 spot. :eek:

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

His numbers are insane for a 2nd year player, if he stays healthy he'll have one of the greatest careers in history.

8. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Thank you fantasy gods for this auto pick.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

no prob.

10. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Doesn't Davis remind you of a young Olajuwon?

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He reminds me more of a young Duncan.
    Young Olajuwon was almost more Shawn Kemp like. Pure explosion.
    Davis' game seems a little more fundamental, ala the Big Fundamental.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Kemp was nothing like a rookie Akeem. But at 19 yrs old like Davis, I'd agree with that.

A 19 yr old Duncan. Can't recall. I stopped watching college by then

I think the Bill Russell comparison still works better than others Davis surely would have one multiple NCAA chips like Russell did

13. what

what Member

Unibrow is 20 years old and he already is posting a 29 per. The kid is so legit, like a young Zo Mourning in my opinion.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Did he just discover Pierre the Pelican?

Give me your soul!!! [​IMG]

Edit:
    Yes, yes he did
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Bump in lieu of new thread but lebron should be looking at teaming with Anthony Davis

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Talk about a horrible assessment and prediction.

Just horrible, and I do remember this convo and knew I would have to face it at some point.

I think Davis is great. I still question how much he contributes to actual winning and success.

Although, this year once cousins went down he seemed to finally take a step towards being a dominant force that could attribute to victories.

red5rocket, malakas and Vivi like this.
  18. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

That’s okay. I thought Brandon Jennings was going to be a superstar.

BigMaloe and arabrocket like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

KD & AD to LA! :eek:;)

Jalen Rose: Anthony Davis Will Be On Lakers By 19-20 Season

Anthony Davis signed with Rich Paul of Klutch Sports and it has ramped up speculation over his future with the New Orleans Pelicans.

Davis will be eligible to sign a supermax contract in 2019 and his willingness to sign that deal or not will be an indicator of how he feels about his future with the Pelicans.

"I am predicting that Anthony Davis ends up in Los Angeles with LeBron James (next season) and they will be another dynamic duo trying to put together a squad to take down, potentially, the Golden State Warriors," said Jalen Rose.

Davis cannot become a free agent until 2020, which means the Lakers would have to trade for him.

Vivi likes this.
  20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think Davis will end up in Boston, Ainge is saving the goods for him imo.