1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ANIME] What is the best anime ever?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

And what is currently the best anime?

I haven't watched anime for many years now, and I'm looking to get back into it. So I want to know if there are fellow bbsers here that watch anime and know whats the "it" nowadays meaning what's most popular or is considered a hit and everybody watches?

Another question would be what is the best anime in history? Is it DBZ since I see it basically everywhere and I don't think any other anime has come close to it in terms of marketing? Thanks.

2. tested911

tested911 Member

Oh man thats a toughy but the best TV series out right now is Bleach...
    Also Death Note is so damn sweet its a totally different type of Anime plot that I have ever known.. But its only up to 17 right now I think :( Bleach is at 114.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The one I don't have to watch.

4. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

big fan of both Bleach and Naruto. Except when they have filler episodes, that pisses me off.

AND KENSHIN (or Samurai X). That was a killer series.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i have never understood the appeal of anime.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

The appeal of anime, IMO, is the japanese humor and fantasy. It's very different and everything is exaggerating in anime which can be entertaining. But personally I'm interested in watching anime again to pass time.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Speed Racer

8. famicom

famicom Member

If you're looking to pass time Bleach and Naruto are awesome! Yea the fillers do suck and they each get to a great climax and tend to drag after...but the stories and fighting are good. Theres over 100 episodes in Bleach and probably near 200 on Naruto. I stopped cuz I'm catching up on LOST now.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Whew, loaded question. When I get a yen ( :p ) to watch some anime, I usually check out the Anime-Source.com rating list. They're rankings are pretty accurate, since they're voted on by anime fans.

I really like Anime set in contemporary Japan. I get to see modern Japananese culture as long as watch a good anime.

My all-time favorite is Hajime no Ippo. It's a story about a high school wimp who gets saved from being picked on by bullies by a Japanese boxer. Ippo ends up joining the boxing gym where his savior trains. It's a fun anime with great characters and awesome fights (boxing). Not only that, but it teaches you a ton about boxing. 75 episodes and a couple OVAs.

Another great anime set in modern-day Japan is Great Teacher Onizuka. It's about an ex-gang member who starts teaching High School so he can score with girls. He ends up taking over the 'bad' class. Good story, lots of laughs.

Cowboy Bebop was my all-time favorite until I saw the above two shows. It's about a group of space bounty-hunters a couple hundred years in the future. Awesome art, stories and music make it a can't miss.

You also can't go wrong with any Miyazaki movie. He's the 'Walt Disney' of Japan...but his stuff is far, far superior to anything Disney has ever put out, in my opinion. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle are just his most recent movies. Incredible art, music and stories in every single one.

DBZ has some great fight scenes, but I was never able to get into it for two reasons: it's size (hundreds and hundreds of episodes), and how every episode takes 10 minutes to catch the viewer up on what happened last episode. I wish someone would do a fan edit to take out all of the needless redundancy.

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

the guyver series or macross

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I've watch anime on and off since I was a kid, and imo I'd say that Cowboy Bebop has been my favorite.

As for what's popular now, it seems like you can't throw a rock at youtube without hitting a Naruto clip.

But the most surprisingly engrossing anime series I've seen recently is Hikaru No Go. It's about a kid who hooks up with a ghost who was an expert "Go" player from Feudal Japan. It's a lot less complicated than it sounds. It's basically a coming of age story that uses Go as a competitive backdrop. I could not stop watching this show. Even if there's some filler material and the ending was somewhat a disappointment, it's still one of the best anime show I've ever seen.

12. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the correct answer.

The best anime films are Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away.

14. coma

coma Contributing Member

Akira.

Duh.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

P.S. If you want to "sample" some of these shows online, there's a compiled list of what's available from online streaming sites like youtube and dailymotion http://www.tv-links.co.uk/

Samurai Champloo is also an anime that I watched recently and liked. It's by the same guy that did Cowboy Bebop and it's an anachronistic mash-up of a Feudal Japan setting with hip hop music. I thought it was pretty cool, but I can imagine that it's not for everyone.

16. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Neo Genesis Evangelion or Saint Seiya. I haven't watched too much anime after moving to the states.

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

The Super Milk Chan Show

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I watched this about a year ago, and it's a good anime (in modern Japan, no less). If you liked Hikaru No Go, you will love Hajime no Ippo.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have become a big fan of Naruto
    I like the writing .. the themes are pretty deep
    My son got me to watching it

I could not get into bleach [or One Peice - one of his favs]

The Macross Saga will always be best to me
    Vampire Hunter D
    Yoma
    SuperNatural Beastie City
    and
    Professional GoGol 13

Rocket RIver
    I like the Classics

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Best ever? I think Neon Genesis Evangelion or the Gundam series (I can't keep track of the 314 different versions of it) would probably get a lot of votes. As far as popularity and money grossed it's probably DBZ, Pokemon, or even Sailor Moon?

Personally it's either Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I prefer futuristic anything (in this case Bebop), but truthfully I find the Samurai Champloo stories more endearing. Lately I've been watching Trinity Blood, Speed Grapher, and Gundam Seed.