1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Animation] What are the BEST DC Animated Movies?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

What's the Red Superman one all about? I just happened to notice it at the Redbox the other night.

Full disclosure: not a DC or comic book guy at all, but I've seen some good stuff from their animation dept.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just guessing it's Russian Superman.

3. body slam

body slam Member

How is the content on the DC streaming service?

RKREBORN likes this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The best part of the service is the comic library they have anything that is available digitally and they have new comics once they are a year old.

They have all the animated series except the 68 Filmation Batman isn't on there yet for some reason.

They have all the old live action tv shows except Batman 66 and Smallville.

They switch out movies periodically but now they have Batman 89 and Returns and the first two Chris Reeve Superman films

New stuff like Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing (which was cancelled), and the new Stargirl series ( you can watch it commercial free 24hrs before it airs on CW on the service)

Doom Patrol season 2 starts in June and you can see it on the service or HBO Max.

The best part is really the comics because the service is cheaper than Marvel Unlimited and you have the added bonus of movies and series to watch.

RKREBORN and body slam like this.
  5. hooroo

hooroo Member

DC has the full Death short on their Youtube channel:

6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Very underrated. I prepay yearly it's only $72 or something like that. Good content, especially if you are trying to watch stuff you may have missed

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I agree, I signed up to watch the animated Harley show and have kept it.....I'm a DC guy so I love watching all the animated movies I've missed and rewatching older shows....

Their original stuff is pretty solid....

RKREBORN likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just watched Apokalips War out of boredom and was surprised DC execs okayed using the characters like that. Red Son was a better waste of time, but still worth a watch if you like DC.

BTW, I don't follow DC as much anymore...who was the new batman that replaced Wayne and killed the joker(wtf!)?

#48 Invisible Fan, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Apokolips War is the final one. It's the last of their animated universe. Being the last, they killed a lot of the characters. Still recommend, if not just for that circus.

For a while the animation quality dropped when they outsourced it to Korea. (gotham by gaslight - yeesh) There are still gems and being more adult; mile ahead of any Marvel straight to video.

WB/DC fired lot of people few weeks back. Gutting a good chunk of the comics division. And reducing some of the responsibilities of guys like Jim Lee. Even fired Lee's secretary (male executive assistant). Petty if you ask me. New head huncho came from esports. Movie division still priority, and they're keeping the gaming division. They will sunset the DC streaming service eventually, which I'm sad about. HBO max has some DC stuff, but eventually may have all things DC.

Animation is still good; outside of the Harley animated show, a reboot of some kind is coming, which probably means new voice actors and maybe new writers/directors.

#49 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Animated DC seems to be more fan oriented than newbie massmarket oriented like Marvel.

I made the mistake of hyping up Planet Hulk thinking it would be a straight comic adaptation I had read years ago. It was like a no brainer for a classic storyline only to be disappointed they only told the first half.

Sucks to hear they're cutting costs. I just found out that the business model for anime is mostly unprofitable to the point where they act like high end commercials that tie in the manga and more merchandising. (Kinda explains the excessive pervy fanservice and how no series manages to end well)

Maybe WB/DC should follow that mentality where the animation gives people who normally don't read comics a doorway into their sometimes convoluted universe that's definitely deeper and richer than what Marvel is currently selling.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.