1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AL Batting Title Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Xercules, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Xercules

Xercules Member

I'm doing a more detailed track of Altuve's batting average for a different site, but I wanted to start one here as well for those who just want a quick update every day.

V-Mart is his only real challenger.

September 14th
    Altuve: .339
    Martinez: .331

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Ashby made a good point during the game today. You can tell by the way Altuve is carrying himself of late that the batting title race is wearing on him.

He's always been an intense guy, obviously, but lately it's been kicked up a notch. He's getting more irritated with himself (slamming his helmet, etc.) when he has a bad at-bat and when he has come through with hits, he has been a little more animated in celebration. Today, he got far more excited than you would think about a routine single late in a game that was largely decided.

If he's going to be a regular among the batting average leaders in the AL for the foreseeable future (fingers crossed!), I wonder if he'll be able to have a more relaxed approach in future seasons.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just sit him the rest of the year. Martinez would have to go 21-50 to catch him. :)

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm sure the smilie face means you're not serious.

go out and WIN it!! he's got this.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right...I am not serious. Altuve is the type of competitor who would pitch a fit if Lawless tried to sit him.

6. Buck Turgidson

No he didn't. He may have tried to, you may have thought you heard something, but he did not.

1 person likes this.
  7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Remaining Pitchers for Upcoming Games per BSPN.
    These are subject to change.

Altuve:
    [​IMG]

V-Mart:
    [​IMG]

Just because also for the Home Run Chase:

Chris Carter:
    [​IMG]

Nelson Cruz:
    [​IMG]

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Sucks Altuve will have to win the title on the road. Would have been nice to get a standing O at MMP

9. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

He basically locked it up tonight. Glad I am going to the game tomorrow to see him set the team record for hits!

10. Xercules

Xercules Member

I just got back from the game. MMP went crazy on that triple. Considering going tomorrow night as well to see the record!

Update after tonight:

Altuve:

3-4, .342

V-Mart

2-5, .331

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Nice. I was there tonight, too. Altuve was great tonight.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Will be impressive as hell if he breaks it tomorrow vs. Kluber. I bet you will have to go back Wednesday night too.

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

i don't agree with this. the guy finally has something to play for. whats wrong with intensity? i think that has the potential to make him better, not worse.

14. Xercules

Xercules Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Holy Toledo! Jose Altuve 1st player with 206+ hits, 42+ doubles and 52+ steals since Ty Cobb in 1917 (225 hits, 44 doubles, 55 steals).</p>&mdash; Richard Justice (@richardjustice) <a href="https://twitter.com/richardjustice/status/511615348697612289">September 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This stat has been applicable for a while. I can't remember the exact numbers when I read it. That said, I miss Justice. :(

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Too bad he hustled for that triple last night. I'd sure like to see 200-50-50.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Plus in baseball guys can play selfishly and there is basically no detrimental effect to the team.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Loving all of this + the record improvement. Hoping he gets the team record tonight.

A next feasible goal would be 220--would be more hits in a season than any active player not named Ichiro, more than Jeter ever had in a season, and more than anyone not named Ichiro since 2004. (222 would change that year to 2000)

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Makes you realize how insane Ichiro's record season was.

20. conquistador#11

you all know who you are..you guys need an apology thread for altuve. =)

haven't had this much fun watching, sorry, I mean LISTENING to astros' baseball since that little hurricane knocked out our energy supply. hope we can all watch the team on tv by next season.