1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice for proper job interview attire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GATER, Aug 13, 2003.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This inquiry is probably more geared for the "seasoned vets" around here but...

After 20 months of being unemployed, I have finally gotten my first substantial job interview next Tuesday. But during the prior 5 years of employment, I only had to interface with customers over the phone (Technical Support Consultant for SAP) so I wore jeans to work almost every day. In the years before SAP, I worked for IBM so I do have some apparrel that's more professional...but it's somewhat dated.

The e-mail for the interview specifically stated "business casual" for the interview. Given that, I am not going to run out and buy a suit. The Pierre Cardin stuff I wore at IBM is a little thread bare and I don't think there is enough time to get fitted for dress slacks by next Tuesday. My question is this...

I plan on wearing a dress shirt with a button down collar and a tie and possibly a sports coat . My understanding is that slacks such as Dockers should not be worn (professionally) with a shirt and tie. Has this changed in the past 5 or 6 years? Should I make a mad dash to a men's wear department and see if I can get some dress slacks by Monday evening or...?

I should probably say that the job is technical, professional, and computer related...(think Dell but it's not with Dell).

Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

IMHO, for any job interview, you want to put your best foot forward...

i just dropped a few clams on a new shirt, tie, belt and shoes for the job interview i had today...
    hmmm.. i did however wear some nice, black, docker type pants... i probably won't get the job now!
    :mad:

3. no_answer

no_answer Member

docker type pants... OH NO!!! haha

I think you should wear some really really tight plastic pants.

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

20 months of unemployment? Who are you George Costanza?;)

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd wear casual slacks, shirt and tie. The sport coat would be good as well. If you have the chance, go by the office and see what folks are wearing.

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Sorry, but everytime I glance at the title, it looks like a thread Baqui would have started. ;)

7. GATER

bobreck -
    I will definitely have time to swing by their office. The casual slacks not being worn with a dress shirt and tie was laid on me by a salesperson years ago. I know that what is considered in good taste can change over time, but I could not get that piece of advice out of my mind. Thanks.

8. GATER

rH - I think it varies from industry to industry. Aren't you into graphics or something like that? Usually the creative companies are very forgiving about dress codes. If bobreck is correct, I will use your same formula.

Isn't that the short, overweight guy from "Seinfeld"? Sorry, but I've never watched more than 15 total minutes of "Seinfield" in my life. I'm older..to me it was stupid. Well, if he worked his arse off and didn't live from pay to pay...that's me. Except I'm not short, nor fat. :)

We must have miscommunicated, the goal is to be employed. :D

9. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Business casual implies no suit. So the selection of some nice pants, a button up shirt, and a quiet tie would be a good combo. A blazer could be worn but is not necessary. But like some of the others have mentioned, I always want to make a good first impression so I would wear probably a suit with a light blue shirt so it isn't too formal, but looks very neat. But if it is a tech job then a simple tie, no jacket will likely be fine.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Good luck.

11. GATER

Obviously, I'm not going to be doing HTML at my new gig! :)

12. Kill Dirty Stockton

Kill Dirty Stockton Contributing Member

Business Casuals black or dark slacks and a button down shirt, possibly a tie. You don't want to go too overboard. Business casuals been leaning towards polo style shirts and khakis but it's an interview so you'll have to step it up. Well that's what my advisor said when I had to wear business casual and it helped me with the job. Oh and stay away from cologne.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Good advice here, GATER. When I got my present job, I was interviewed in February 2000. I wore a button down collared dress shirt with either dockers or khakis (sorry but I didn't have any dress slacks at that time in my life) along with a tie and a sport jacket.

Now, after being there for 3 and a half years, I usually wear company logo golf shirts with khakis every day. No more freaking ties!:D

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If they said business casual for the interview, wear a suit with a button down and no tie, or khakis and a blue blazer with a button down and no tie.

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You should try to dress one level above their requirements for a job interview. If they told you business casual, wear a suit and tie. It gives the impression that you're willing to go the extra mile.

Business attire has gotten a lot more formal in recent years...

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Good luck man. One step above the requirement is good advice.

They key to any interview is communication. Know their mission statement and what they do. Then when you answer their questions you can turn your answers into statements about how you assets will allow them to accomplish their goals.

Don't let 'em see you sweat :)

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

...oh yeah, make sure you spank it right before the interview. If there is a hot chick interviewing you, there's less of a chance of popping a boner and embarrasing yourself...

"Well, it was great talking to you. We should be contacting you in a week or so........of course, it looks like you're ready to get to work right away!"

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh oh, I've been committing a fashion faux pas almost everytime I wear a tie. :)

Of course, I wear shorts and a polo shirt to work most days in the summer, so I don't know how much fashion adivce you want to take from me, but I did used to wear polyester short sleeve shirts, wide ties and cordurory pants to work in the old days!

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If you do go in with a suit and tie, pick out a nice red tie to wear to the interview. I forget where I read it, but wearing red gives off a sense of confidence and power. It might help get the interview.

20. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

God, I love A-Train! That is frickin' hilarious!!!!