1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Year Into #MeToo, Public Worried About False Allegations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Oct 12, 2018.

?

Do you support the fundamental ideas of due process, equal protection and innocent until proven guil

Poll closed Oct 12, 2019.
  1. Yes, regardless of gender, political affiliation, or "race"

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No, women should be believed over men, Democrats over Republicans, and "People of color" over "White

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Due process? That's for crimes and kavanaugh wasn't under criminal investigation but a job interview.

And it's almost certain he lied under oath and yet the FBI was instructed not to consider that. So where's the due process there?

The senate just confirmed a Supreme Court Justice that lied under oath during his confirmation hearings. And you people aren't even phased by that.

You lost half the country - this Supreme Court is not legit. This president is not legit. Our gov't is NOT the legit gov't of the United States. I don't recognize it as a legit gov't.

2. Nook

Nook Member

My agenda is to point out the complete hypocrisy.

JayGoogle and No Worries like this.
  3. jcf

jcf Member

The general concept behind me too is good: women should be encouraged to come out and report sexual harrassment/abuse.

The way it developed however was horrible. The idea that the accused could and would be ruined by the accusation alone (and that result being celebrated by some) was and is terrifying.

I don't really see where there can be legitimate room for disagreement on this.

The argument that the accusations are not a criminal trial is weak. None of should be comfortable with the idea that accusations alone can lead to job loss and worse.

The assertion that it is worth it given the number of assaults vs false accusations is also baffling. Encourage people to speak out. But insisting that the accuser should always be believed is ridiculous. I think the me too movement could have the desired effect of more true victims speaking out along with the unintended effect of empowering those who are willing to lie for gain or otherwise to increase as well.

I am all for protecting and empowering victims to come forward.

I am not willing to throw out the rights of the accused in doing so.

And I'm sure as heck not so naive as to believe in the good faith of all accusers or ignore the history of false accusations in numerous contexts that have already occurred.

Many of the people arguing in support of the current version of me too seem to be the same people who argue like heck (appropriately) about all of the innocent people behind bars and are horrified by a system that would allow such to take place.

There are some really smart posters who I respect that are seemingly advocating for the proposition that it doesn't matter if a "few" men get ruined unfairly if it helps true victims. I find this thinking dangerous.

4. Senator

Senator Member

Guess the 8 years of Bill Clinton weren't legit either. Legit or not, they are enacting policies and laws you and I have to follow. Quit your job, move to a swing state, and vote in 2020.

Who is you people? People who support climate change policies and gun control over industry like myself? People who point out liberal media hypocrisy like myself?

5. Senator

Senator Member

If so, liberals would have the same outrage on 7% of the population committing 60% of fatal violent crime... but instead blame it on the white man or the police. Doesn't suit the agenda.

In this case, due process no longer exists, just the assumption women are fragile and should be believed over men. That is sexist in itself. It's understandable if you have 25 different sources tell you the same story like the Weinstein's and Cosby's and Russell Simmon's, but in most cases it will be 1 v 1 so your made up stats are pointless.

BruceAndre and MojoMan like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not sure what benefiting from illegal foreign influence has to do with Bill Clinton. Clinton didn't cheat to get reelected.

This gov't is enacting laws that are against the will of the people - it has stolen power it should not have and using that power to do harm to everyone - not just liberals. It is putting both our democracy at risk and the entire planets future.

You people are the people who believe women are lying when they make accusation of sexual assault and that such charges should be discredited and dismissed and not important for assessing a candidate for SCOTUS. You people are the people who think getting your man onto the SCOTUS is more important that validating that you are putting a man of integrity into that position. What does that have to do with gun control or climate change? Or Clinton? Or the liberal media?

Sounds like you are playing partisan politics.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you that we shouldn't throw out the rights of the accused or due proces. However, I haven't seen any criminal trials where that has happened. The SCOTUS nomination hearing wasn't a criminal trial.

I also have a problem with the current power structure who are largely white men who came to power in a time where sexual harassment at the least was an accepted way of behaving and doing business.

I don't think we want any kind of situation where #Metoo becomes a reign of terror. I have yet to see any evidence that women are doing that in a significant manner.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Apparently you missed the Senate confirmation process for Brett Kavanaugh, if what you are saying here is true.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, I followed it closely.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Did you miss the mental gymnastics he was doing in order to hold on to hope that Dr Ford's testimony was true? There's literally nothing that would get him to see the light on that situation.

John Oliver and MojoMan like this.
  11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

No, I missed that. But of course it was not just him. To hold onto the possibility that Ford's story was accurate in every respect, literally every other piece of relevant information, testimony, or evidence had to be regarded as ineligible for consideration by these people.

Obviously, this is real lunatic stuff. Fortunately, the American people appear to be rapidly and broadly rejecting this way of thinking, as the article quoted in the OP documents.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What's wack is that Kavanaugh clearly lied under oath during his initial confirmation hearing and yet you focus on attacking the victim instead of holding your buddy accountable. Don't you feel like a slime ball for being such a hypocrite? Of course you don't.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

[​IMG]

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

15. Senator

Senator Member

Hate to break it to ya, but those aren't my people. You have trouble thinking outside of your agenda and it's why so many liberals voted for Trump. And that's what leads to fragile disasters like Kavanaugh being put in power, not breakdowns of democracy.

To be fair, people are pretty stupid. You see it all around you, I believe the government should have more control in who it enacts. Make sure Trump isn't re-elected and someone fearless on the other end of the spectrum is in charge... Obama was so snail like and afraid of significant change he turned everyone away from the liberal party, myself included. He was just happy to be there. The left needs a leader who will enact mass scale migrations in sources of energy production, public transit and general manufacturing requirements of Americans. Not someone who's just happy to be here so he can mingle with Jay Z.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Obama was blocked at every turn by Republicans who stated they were going to block everything he did whether they agreed with it or not. They strategy was to say no to everything, including every appointment that required Senate confirmation.

So I find your statement here non-sensical. I don't believe you ever supported Obama if you think he was just happy to be there.

So what do you really stand for other than blaming the left for everything that seems to go wrong?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Define: PROOF

I am especially interested in know what is PROOF when their is no physical evidence.
    When it is I SAID THEY SAID situations

Such in a Rape. . . .. As soon as the victim washes the evidence away and physically heals from the assault
    Then the Assault is considered unprovable . . .. therefore the Assaulter is free and clear?
    This basically puts a statute of limitations on assault to a few months

Rocket River

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think people tend to confuse IMMORAL with ILLEGAL
    they are no where close to the same thing

In fact. . . .alot of America History is litter with despicable immoral heinous acts . . .that were legal

Rocket River

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....that's why you should go to the police pretty much immediately if you are assaulted in any way unless there is some other kind of evidence like video. Even if you don't know who did it at the time, you should at least document the evidence that you were assaulted, if you were sexually assaulted, you should go get a rape kit done immediately.

That's just what you have to do in order to make a conviction most likely. If you hide the assault, you're the one that let the assaulter get away with it making you complicit.

BruceAndre likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So you are saying. . . You are good with that being a statute of limitations
    This is definitely something that favors the powerful.

Rocket River