1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A well-regulated Melisha

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 28, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

East St. Louis.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

St. Louis is a **** hole of racial segregation..... poverty...... violence..... racism.

I don't know why anyone with money would choose to live there unless it is because they are part of the establishment profiting off the misery around them.

It is a place where I never feel safe when I have gone in the past.

Right outside that gated community is extreme poverty and violence.

RayRay10 and Astrodome like this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to college 3 miles from there. St Louis died in like 1920. There are old 100 year old mansions that are "Prestige homes" for insanely wealthy people between Forest Park to the South where St Louis had its last gasp with the 1902 Worlds Fair, and Delmar to the North. North of Delmar is the slummiest slum you've ever seen in your life. The rich have tried to wall off the entire area between Delmar and Lindel, which bounds the north side of Forrest Park.

St Louis is obsessed with "the glory days" and it is a prestige thing for these clowns to build their fortress mansions smack dab in the middle of the slums instead of living in Creve Coeur like the people they are trying to prove they are better than. 100% an ego stroke for the rich - connecting yourself to the glory days when St Louis wasnt a rotting corpse.

Thinking you can run off an angry mob by yourself with an AR15 is about as stupid as thinking that your money and a couple of wrought iron gates will protect you when you build a $10 million dollar mansion in the middle of the hood.

All in all, this guy seems to think his money makes him much more special and invunerable than he actually is. Perfect example of how the rich need to learn to be properly afraid of the poor again.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, East St Louis is also a dangerous city but St Louis proper is what I was referencing. Interesting article here.
    https://metrostl.com/2020/02/12/in-homicides-there-are-two-cities-of-st-louis/

I have visited st louis many times and felt pretty safe downtown and near the SLU. I didnt spend much time on the Northside except to fill up the rental car on the way back to the airport.

Deckard, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh sure, base your argument on thousands of well-documented years of human history, why don't you.

Deckard, DVauthrin, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As opposed to retweeting videos of people in gated communities shouting WHITE POWER!? Just want to make sure I am not offending anyone...

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

St. Louis is dangerous for another reason. It used to have uranium processing plants and that waste was left out in the open in a northern St. Louis landfill and it has since contaminated neighborhoods and streams causing rare cancers and birth defects. There is a documentary called Atomic Homefront that details it all.

It's shameful.

8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

St. Louis is a VERY dangerous city.

It is a very segregated city.

Racial and economic distrust is ALWAYS boiling right below the surface in St. Louis.

[​IMG]

40% of children in St. Louis live in poverty..........

The police force and institutions do not have a good track record with the majority of residents (45% of the city is black).

There are decaying slums all over just minutes from wealth.

So why should people living like THIS.......... have any concern for people living like those below.....

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Louis XVI got far more scrutiny than Jean Valjean because one had to steal bread to feed his family while the other threw lavish parties in their giant palaces and wiped their @ss with spare francs while most of France had to steal bread to feed their families.

Deckard, Nook, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

St. Louis is one of those weird cities where you hear how out of control dangerous and run down it is and it's really surprising if you aren't familiar -- reminds of Gary, IN or San Bernardino, CA. I always had a mental picture of Gary as a small rural town with corn fields and farmers -- apparently it's closer to a Brazilian slum near Rio. East St. Louis is literally one of the most dangerous cities in the country -- Camden is actually a safer place to live now.

No wonder the Rams left -- at least they still have that arch I guess.

RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  12. Commodore

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Meanwhile at the "March For Our Rights" rally.

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yikes, must be terrifying for them.

I hope they recognize how big of a target they will be as income inequality continues to grow and vote accordingly.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wait, did the protester do any actual looting and endangering to anyone that day?

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

Naw... their only crime was walking while black...

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Those parts of the Purge movie must have been in a later sequel...

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so the protesters were walking on mcloskey drive or lane or street?

Ubiquitin and RayRay10 like this.
  19. Commodore

folks in this thread rightly point out the massive wealth inequality in these blue cities/states

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love how @Commodore spins intimidating protestors as "protecting their home"

We all know that when you want to win an argument on the street, you simply pull out your gun to "protect yourself"

Hey, if you seem someone walking towards you, they could be dangerous - best to pull out a gun and point it at them to "protect yourself".

So here's the question gun nutters - if someone from their porch points a gun at you while you are walking down the street, do you have a right to take your gun out and point it back to "protect yourself" and does that person who is on their porch "protecting themselves" have a right to open fire and vice versa?

Is it me or is pointing a gun at someone who hasn't committed any kind of crime a really stupid idea?