1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Law Professor Explains Why You Should Never Talk to Police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...law-constitution-survival?utm_source=vicefbus

interesting.
    Not even plead the fifth . . .. . that is deep.

Rocket River

Amiga and CometsWin like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Any police officer will tell you, "We're here to get to the truth." But the reality is that over time police officers inevitably come to see themselves as part of the prosecutor's team. They work with the prosecutors, they testify for the prosecutors, they meet with the prosecutors."

"privately and publicly to many police officers about the whole subject, and almost without exception, they all say, "It's true. What you say is true.""

Rocket River

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Haven't been pulled over much since I lost most of my previously long hair and went from looking younger than my age to older than my age (my significant other thinks I look great. Love is blind). When I was be-bopping around in the '60's and '70's while still in Houston, I was pulled over all the time for no reason at all. Once, when I was taking a chick home at night after a concert, a squad car with a couple of cops pulled us over and asked me to get out of my vehicle (I think that's a favorite word they use. "Get out of your vehicle, sir!") And they throughly searched my car as I kept an eye on them as best I could. I knew the car was clean and didn't want anything planted. Some did that back then.

One kept an eye on me, while the other cop did the digging around. The girl was ignored. Then I heard a thump and the sound of glass falling to the street. The guy I couldn't keep an eye on had busted a tail light with his flashlight. Then he waltzed over to me and said (not making this up), "You almost ran a red light back there and you have a broken tail light. I'm writing a ticket for the tail light. You're lucky you're not getting one for that red light." The red light "back there" was about 7 blocks away. I didn't come close to running it, and they had obviously been following me. The rare times I've been pulled over the last several years? I always roll down my window, smiling, but looking a little concerned (practice helps) and ask the officer, "May I help you, sir?" I'm very convincing. What I'm saying is, I don't buy the advice. I'm not a minority, though, and look rather harmless. That helps, I'm sure.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The videos are quite interesting
    The second one is an actual cop.
    They go into several senario that put people in a position to be harrassed or falsely jailed.
    The Cop basically states he could follow someone and because their are so many laws that they would eventually break one.
    So he could then harrass them at will.

The Lawyer elaborates on how in talking to a cop . . .you give them information that can be used against you
    The instance he gives is a person mistakenly says something like. . . i wasn't there
    even though the person means he wasn't there at the time
    The Prosecutor and Officer don't have to make that distinction . . .so now it looks like you lied to a cop when
    they present it to the jury

The specificity of what you say in those situations and how your words and actions can be twisted and molded to the Jury

He explains how a jury AUTOMATICALLY ASSUMES guilt if you take the fifth
    and that not They can present it to the jury that you did take the fifth to color their opinion of you

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was speaking in general terms, RR, and related some personal experiences. I actually agree with the advice in the context you just described. Well said.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He is a passionate fifth amendment advocate. I think he makes a very good and reasonable case. He's not saying to be disobedient or impolite if stopped for a traffic violation.

Any police officers here with kids? What do you tell them about what they should say if questioned by police?

Deckard likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He points out that the changes don't even have to be intentional

At one point
    The Cops ask a guy about murdering the person
    They guys says he did not shoot anyone
    The Cops say they never said shooting. . . . .
    However . . .. Earlier overheard conversations or something could have tipped the person to the fact it was a shooting. . . but that won't play well in court

The Cops explained how he tricked guys into writing confessions by making them think they are writing a apology letter to the victim's family

The most important thing to remember is COPS ARE NOT THERE TO HELP YOU
    They are there to close a case . . . . .

The sad part is . .. they are not necessarily there for Justice or accuracy . . .. just to close it.

Rocket River

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You don't have to talk to the police, and it is smarter if you don't.

You do have to comply with the police and the people who don't are typically screaming at them.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've watched this several times over the years -- every time I start it I end up listening to the whole thing.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's true, cops are almost never looking out for your best interest and if there is any way that you could have possibly done anything wrong in any way whatsoever, you're better off not talking to them.....but you have to comply with lawful orders.

I try to avoid interactions with the police as often as possible as a general rule.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, it's a very entertaining and informative talk. I've also watched it multiple times over the years.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I didn't watch the video so maybe it's answered there. Can pre-Miranda conversation be used against you? Once you're read your rights, you should ask for an attorney.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Basically . . . *ANYTHING* can be used against you

Rocket River

14. Buck Turgidson

Meh, I talk to the police every time now that I'm not a dipsh@t kid. It's amazing what a calm adult discussion leads to.