1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Glimpse of Glory - The CM League Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Heath, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Heath

Heath Member

Monday June 7th

With the upcoming World Cup in Argentina coming up in two days there is time to send your scout over the pond to get you that final piece to the puzzle.

This is The CM League Thread from now on. There will also be started a story over at SI in a more story telling fashion where you all can write about your teams. Puedlfor will in additon to his own team also keep tabs on what is going on overall.

To get this story going and to the quality we want all will be needing additional info. Dont be afraid to ask about everything you need here. We will also pay close attention to the WC this time around.

This is also still the update thread, and you can still give me things do do in here. To write/read the story at SI you will need to be registered there, and if you dont want that, but still would want your team to be known at SI, you can write your story here and Puedlfor will take the responsibility of telling the tale as he see fit.

So will all this mean that the season will take forever? Well, hopefully not, but this season will take considerably more time than previous seasons. haven gave notice about him not having the time needed, so he was resigned (not retired) from Middlesbrough, as he has the reputation needed to get a new job if he want in at a later stage (I hope). Also boville, I retired you from the league as you have been set to holiday lately - sorry.

For the others, please post here to confirm that you want in on another season, as if you dont have the time, playing you as a holiday team will only slow the season more.

And to all - good luck - lets get that glimpse of glory. No more Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester United winning it all.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The World Cup Draw has been held, some teams will be regretting their placement, while some will be off celebrating their cakewalk groups.

Group A
    Costa Rica
    Holland
    Portugal
    South Korea

Holland and Portugal have to be considered the favorites of this group to advance, but it would be wrong to count out the flamboyant Costa Rican team and a hard-working South Korean team that can run most other teams into the ground.
    Prediction : Holland, Portugal

Group B
    Belgium
    Colombia
    England
    USA

The USA will have a hard time advancing from their group, though led by the stunning Landon Donovan, who plies his trade at Ajax, they have a chance to pull the upset over group favorites England and Colombia. Belgium have several talented players, but most are young, and are not expected to hold up under the pressure, though they could pull a suprise result, and see themselves through to the elimination rounds.
    Prediction : England, USA

Group C
    Argentina
    Japan
    Morocco
    Russia

Argentina have to be considered one of the favorites of this tournament, and their opening group shall not trouble them too greatly. Russia look to advance to the next round as well, though Japan may give them some tough games. Morocco is fodder.
    Prediction : Argentina, Russia

Group D
    Austria
    France
    Greece
    Nigeria

Another favorite, France, are drawn into a relatively easy group, with only Nigeria able to run with the super-talented French Side. Austria and Greece have some tantalizing players, but most are either too old, too young, or too untested to be relied upon in this competition.
    Prediction : France, Nigeria

Group E
    Germany
    Mexico
    Norway
    Uruguay

The Group of Death. Germany will send their usual strong side to the WC, and will rely on their technical brilliance to send them through. However, they will be severly tested by Norway, whom many observers are calling the sleeper side of the tourney, as they boast several players who have impressed overseas in top-notch leagues. Mexico has slipped a little in the recent years and passed the baton in CONCACAF to the US and Costa Rica, but they can still muster of moments of brilliance, and they will need to if they have any hope of advancing. Uruguay will play their typical brawl-ball style, and hope that the can steal a goal, and then stall the oppossing team's attack for the win, and three points.
    Prediction: Germany, Norway

Group F
    Algeria
    China
    Italy
    Poland

Yikes. Lets just chalk up Italy and Poland to the next round. China and Algeria just don't have the talent to hang with the two European sides, and will need flawless play, and a bit of luck to see themselves in the knockout round. I wouldn't bet on it. Algeria may have a better shot, as they can rely on English Premiership defender Yacine Oucif-Said to be the rock in their defense, but it won't be enough.
    Prediction : Italy, Poland

Group G
    Brazil
    Egypt
    Peru
    Yugoslavia

This is perhaps the most intriguing group, outside of giants Brazil, who are almost assured of a trip to the next stage. Egypt possess several players like Mido, Mohamad Barakat and Mohammed El-Yamani who have shown capable of starring at the highest levels of play in the EPL and it would not be out of the question for them to steal some points from a talented Yugoslavian side, and to battle a criminally underrated Peruvian group, and see themselves basking in international Glory.
    Prediction : Brazil, Egypt

Group H
    Angola
    Kuwait
    Spaine
    Ukraine

Ukraine may be one of the most tantalizing squads in the competition, as they are lead by the utterly brilliant Ruslan Valeev, and that should see them through with group favorites Spain easily over international minnows Kuwait and Angola

3. Heath

Heath Member

Monday June 7th 2010

Holden Magroin has been appointed new manager at first division team Aston Villa, after their disappointing mid table finish (14th) saw former manager Peter Whiston step down.

Holden did not waste much time with his current underachivers as he promptly transfer listed the following:

Attacking midfielder Nikos Dokos, at 1.8M: This fee is unlikely to deter Bradford, Metrostars and Tottenham from leading the race for the players signature.

Full back Jo Keenan, at 1M.
    Veteran defender Ben Thatcher at 190k.
    Attacking midfielder Tassos Venetis at 1.7M.
    China International defender Xu Yunlong at 1.4M.

He also talked with Paul Ward, 22 year old Scottish striker about a contract.

Ward is an unhappy camper, and is not convinced the new manager can turn things around, but he says he wants £9k a week, a 275k sign on bonus, 300 goal/assist bonuses and a 2.1M minimum fee release clause to sign a contract until may 2014. The board on the other hand only allows for 7500pw and a 100k sign on.

What to do?

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Offer what I can to Ward and send 2 scouts to the WC, please

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

Marcus Benson rules.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

After a thrilling season, that saw myself, David Vauthrin, take a Tottenham team from the brink of relegation to a 5th place English Premier League finish and a place in the UEFA cup next season, I think its only appropriate to hand out team awards at this time.

Crowd applauds.

First, and most importantly: Team MVP.

This was a very tough call, as I think both Shaun Maloney and Bruno Letang deserve the honor. However, since the DMC plays arguably the biggest role in my system Bruno deservedly receives this award. Congrulations Bruno.

Crowd applauds.

Next: The Golden Boot

The award goes to the best finisher on my team every year, and this year I had a tough call between team leader Jon Newby and young stud AMC Shaun Maloney. However, Maloney was fabulous down the stretch and had his signature game against Derby when we needed it the most, and thus wins this honor. Congrulations Shaun, on a marvelous campaign this year.

Crowd applauds.

Finally, a award that goes to the best big game player on my team every year: The Mr. Clutch award

This year's recepient may not have the flashiest numbers or be our best player but he has the heart of a Lion. Now, without further ado, I am proud to announce that the 2009/2010 winner of the Mr. Clutch award is Left Winger Christian Fox. Christian had 2 Man of the Match honors this year, and his game against EPL power Leeds was one to remember. Honorable mention goes to Noe Diaz, Carlos Pavon, Bruno Letang and Shaun Maloney. Congrats Christian.

Crowd applauds.

That concludes this year's Tottenham Hotspur awards banquet. Remember to keep pledging your support to the team and pack White Hart Lane. You, the fans, are who we play this great game for, and we want your voice to be heard. You are the 12th man for this team, and all your support is very much appreciated.

So on behalf the entire organization of Tottenham football, I hope to be standing up here again praising the team for another outstanding season next year, and am looking forward to bringing Hotspur football into the English Premier League's elite and making Tottenham players household names all across the world.

So, thank you for coming, drive home safely, and remember if its not Hotspur football, than it's not REAL FOOTBALL.

Crowd cheers.

#6 DVauthrin, Nov 23, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Um, isn't none of this real football?:confused:

8. Nomar

Nomar Member

What is your problem?

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

What makes you think I have a problem? Oh yeah, I forgot put a smilie on that....here:

:)

Was that a mistake or just bad posting?

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Neither.

11. Puedlfor

June 8th, 2010

Before the World Cup, there are some pressing contract matters to be taken care of.

Relegated Norwich, probably sensing that the bigger Premiership teams were about to pounce on their talented strikers, made a 220k bid on newly promoted Crystal Palace striker Neil Wade. The bid was rejected out of hand. Also for Palace, Stuart Poole's contract is approaching expiry, and it does not appear he will return to the north London side.

In quiet Cheltenham Town, Julian Alsop's contract ends, though it is not expected he will leave the prestigious coaching job.

In Aston Villa and Nottingham, two different player reactions occur. The previously discontented Luke Young retracts his demand to leave, obviously confident the new management can turn things around. While at Forest young striker Matthew Black showed up late to practice, definetly after hitting a local pub or two. Despite the fact that the season was over, this kind of unpreparedness cannot be tolerated, and the young man it taken aside and warned not to do it again, and future occurences will result in fining, and perhaps his recieving his walking papers.

June 9th, 2010

The World Cup kicks off today with the two Group A matches, Holland vs Portugal and Costa Rica vs South Korea. Scouts from all over the world were in attendance to get a look at the best players in the world on the biggest stage.

In the first match a suprise contender emerges as Holland, behind its deep, and superbly talented strike force dominates the under-strength Portugese side, which in what will go down as a bizarre move, left superstar winger Ricardo Quaresma off the roster entirely. The Dutch team peppered the Portugese goal with 7 shots before legend Ruud van Nistelrooy buried one of them in the net right before the half.

With the domination the Holland side had shown, it seemed the game was pretty much over, and the first 30 minutes of the second half did nothing to dispel the notion and when van Nistelrooy took a pass from sub Kamphius and slipped it past the beleaguered Portugese netminder, the nail had been buried in the coffin.

The press rightly declared van Nistelrooy the Man of the Match for his two goals, but it would be wrong to understate the control the Dutch midfield had in this match as the Portugese team spent sparse minutes attacking the bored Dutch goalie. Truly, the lack of playmakers in the midfield, like the retired Luis Figo and the inexplicably absent Quaresma had its toll on the Iberian side.

Holland 2, Portugal 0

The second match of the day saw CONCACAF side Costa Rica play upstart South Korea in La Plata, Argentina. The scoring was early and often as a particular bit of brilliance found Costa Rican Solís open 15 yards from goal, and he did not blow his chance, sending Costa Rica up 1-nil just 17 minutes in. However, the Korean side struck right back catching the Costa Rican team unawares and evened the tally at one apiece just 60 seconds later.

The two teams traded tantalizing attacks back and forth, but it wasn't until after the half that Wanchope found a little space and knuckled a ball past the outstretched Korean keeper to give the Central American side a 2-1 lead.

However, the Koreans superior match fitness began to take its toll, and they slowly began to assert control and their equalizer in the 79th minute was almost anti-climactic. Though the Koreans managed a few more shots on goal, none were terribly good chances, and the game ended a draw.

Costa Rica 2, South Korea 2

#11 Puedlfor, Nov 23, 2002
  12. Puedlfor

June 9th, 2010

Later in the day, Wimbeldon's little used Mark Nicholls and scout Moncur left as their contracts expired. Neither loss is a great blow to Wimbeldon's promtion chances.

Norwegian fullback Geir Anders Kirkholm, currently training for his opening match, made official his move from Nottingham Forest back to Watford. Kirkholm is a talented, if tempermental central defender.

June 10th, 2010

Following his team's demolition of Portugal, talented midfielder Arno Kantelberg was connected with a 14.75M move from Glasgow Celtic to Chelsea. His manager had no comment on the report.

In Mansfield, former prospect Philip Bardsley who never quite panned out left for smaller side Crowdon and guaranteed playing time.

The World Cup continues today with the two Group B games, Colombia vs USA, and England vs Belgium.

The first match pitted Western Hemisphere duo USA and Colombia. The game was marked by mediocre play, as both sides played it close to the vest, minimizing attacks, and concentrating efforts on stymying the attack of the opposition. In the 45th minute, the US broke free on a counterattack and midfielder Ricketts placed his head on the ball to give the US a 1-nil lead, and with their effective defense, a suprise victory over the side favorites.

USA 1, Colombia 0

The second match of the day saw England play Belgium. Neither side could put together an effective attack and the goalies ruled the day with a nil-nil draw. One side note is that Lincoln City winger Eric Dreesen, all of 21 years of age, came on at 55 minutes and gave his national team 35 minutes of very good play.

Belgium 0, England 0

#12 Puedlfor, Nov 23, 2002
  13. Heath

Heath Member

A look at the Mansfield roster going into the offseason:

GKs

Steve Phillips
    Antti Niemi

After Phil Edwards was sent packing we dont have a lot of coverage here, but we have young Matt Carter (19) coming in from Coventry that will all but replace his talent, but Matt is probably not ready to push Steve for a spot just now so with 38 year old Finnish International Antti Niemi's contract expiring I probably need to look for someone to compete with Phillips for the starting job.

Defenders

D R Peter Karlson
    D L Kirk Hilton
    D L Stephane Garcia
    D R Philip Bardsley*
    D RLC Dan Fredriksson
    D/DM RC Richard Hinds*
    D/DM C Roger Grini
    D/DM C Gareth Roberts*
    D C David Artell
    D C Danny Tucker
    D C Claude Sykora
    D C Chris Burns
    D RC Ian Kerr

Philip Bardsley is transfering to Croydon, Richard Hinds and Gareth Roberts out of a contract. The two first ones pose no problem to me, but Gareth Roberts was an important player in my rotation, but not as important as his contract demands. David Artell another former starter for me could be on the down, but he will be given his chance to prove that he still got it. All this might leave me a bit open in defense as my goals against maybe gave an indication for last season. I have several players that could replace these.

Roger Grini showed plenty after he joined me late last season and will be taking one of the central defender spots in whatever system I use. Danny Tucker and Chris Burns were also brought in at the end of last season and will be in with a chance for a DC spot. Claude Sykora is a talent brought in from France and will have to prove himself in the reserves first. Ian Kerr also broke through last season and got his U21 appearace while showing his capabilities as a central defender. Fullbacks is pretty much set in my system. Peter Karlsson and Dan Fredriksson will be the starters and if they can't play I might just switch back to the 3-5-2 attacking system used last season. If I change back to the 3-5-2 I have no problem using them both as central defenders either. Should I opt to stay with fullbacks when troubled by injuried then Kirk Hilton is a decent backup, while Stephane Garcia still have some work to do in the reserves before he is ready for the first team.

But as it is the defense and the goalkeepers is what I feel can be improved by getting a sure fire starter, so that is what I will be holding my eyes open for in the offseason.

Next up the midfield and attack.

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

Fade - I want to commend you on something. While you may have not had the time to commit fully to the new sim leagues, you have always respected and understanded the appeal of them. And helped against outsiders trying to put down the sims. Cheers to you.

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

BTW- Heath

8M for Tulian Melo
    Min Rel for Stefan Winter
    Min Rel for Anthony Batelli

That is all.

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

PLease release scouts Joe Oakley and Martin Kuhl. And I want to find out what Ricky Scimeca wants in a new contract,if he has not bolted yet. Also offer 500k to Man city for Nick Corbett.

CK

#16 Castor27, Nov 25, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2002
  17. Heath

Heath Member

Mansfield Squad cont.

Midfielders

AM C Olivier Dubois
    AM/F C Danny McDonald
    DM C Durgham El-Bawi
    AM RC Philip Mulryne
    AM/F RLC Gary Hope
    DM C Dan Wiklund
    DM C John Ward
    AM/F L Jordan Hall
    D/AM/F LC Aminu Sani
    M RLC Stephen Cooke
    AM RLC Leon Britton

Midfield should be the packed with quality after I smashed the previous team transfer record to bring in the brilliant 19 year old Olivier Dubois from Nîmes for 10M. But Dubois was not to prove his worth in the end of last season as he went out with a hip injury in his 2nd game only. He is scheduled to be back around the 20th of June so he will get all of preseason to settle in with the team. In honour of his arrival we created a new system to keep the my other midfield stars getting their deserved amount of time, and even if Dubois was not present I could get the others familiarized with it. And they responded as good as they could have with me ending the season with it installed with 5 wins and a draw moving me up to 9th in the end.

Durgham El-Bawi was trusted as "mini-Dubois" for 4 of those 6 games while Roger Grini and Leon Britton started on each as El-Bawi had an injury himself to battle. Jordan Hall also did good as the sub for those games. With Olivier back next season I envision Durgham stepping back to the DM C role behind Olivier (left) and Philip Mulryne right. Danny McDonald will continue to terrorize defenses from his attacking midfield spot. The new system will take a toll at the wingers in Sani and Hope who could see considerable less time this season, but as always they along with the others will provide good depth for injuries or bad form that is bound to happen. John Ward could see himself moving up in the rotation over Dan Wiklund who lost his starting job last season to the thriving El-Bawi in his new role.

Attackers

F RLC El-Hadji Diouf
    S C Ian Ferguson
    D/M/S C Ben May
    S C Graeme Porter
    S C Luca Toni
    S C Peter Weatherston
    F RC Andrew Martin

Luca Toni was a success after bringing him in from Brescia for 3M last season. The 33 year old should still have a couple seasons in him and will be the man up front. His partner will be El-Hadji Diouf who was brought in for 1.5M after Kevin Kyle was sold for a record 5.25M to Lincoln City. He had a slow start but as he got familiar with the team he settled in.

Ian Ferguson was also a new addition to the team last season from Stoke and he is a good prospect. With the deadline sale of Alex Revell to Tottenham I'm looking to bring in another class attacker to compete for a spot. May, Porter, Weatherston and Martin will be backups at best and has to prove something to get playing time.

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

With the valiant 5th place finish fresh on everyone's mind, let's take a look at the Tottenham team you will get to see battle it out for top dog in the premiership next year, along with available players for transfer.

First off the Goalies.

1. Phil Edwards-Acquired in a 2 million purchase from Mansfield Town midway through last season, he immediately became our starter and performed brilliantly between the pipes for us. And to think he's only the ripe young age of 22. Unquestionably, the number one keeper for the team.

2. Martin Van Hooijdonk-A young Dutch goalie with vast potential, Martin will be the guy ready to spell Phil at any time. He has good skill as well so I have no problem using him if necessary. It would be tough to get him, but a price of 1.5 mil and above would make me listen.

3. Darren Rimmer-Darren is a young English netminder who needs a bit more developing better he sees extensive minutes for this club. He may be available for loan at some point this season, or able to be sold at a cost of 1 mil and above.

Defenders

1. Jimmy Ryan, Steve Curtis, and Andrew Nixon

a) Ryan- Jimmy is a young English defender who has fabulous marking, and very good overall defensive attributes. He is not for sale.

b) Curtis-Steve is a 20 year old SW/DC with great defender attributes. Once again, don't bother, as he isn't for sale.

c) Nixon-Andrew is a 21 yr old defender with fine attributes, just like the other two listed above. As with the others above, he is not available for purchase either.

2. Stale Karlsen-Young Norwegian, who is an extremely versatile player. Likely will see a lot of time rotating in defense, center midfield and defensive midfielder for the club. Hopefully, he becomes like a young Kah for the team. Concerning selling him, since he was just bought from Cheltenham Town this summer, he isn't going to be available for awhile.

3. Martjin Kuiper- This veteran holland defender has very nice defensive attributes except for pace, and will rotate in and out of defense for me. Valued at 925k, it would take about 1.2 mil plus to land him.

4. Mick Briggs-Briggs is a young defender that I had during my tenure at Bournemouth, with excellent defensive attributes. Valued at 975k, it would be very tough to pry him away from me.

5. Eddie Howe-Veteran defender, but has lost standing in my club. I will sell him for 325k plus. He still has good attributes, check my page. Would be a good player for a d1 or below club.

Defensive Midfielders

1. Bruno Letang-20 year old French star, he is a special player. Had a big impact at our most important position last year, so don't even bother asking me if he is for sale. He isn't.

2. Pa Modou Kah- 29 year old Norwegian, very versatile, will be a big asset for us this year, at DMC, Wing, Defense, and center midfielder. For that reason, it will be very tough to get him from me. Right now, he isn't for sale. But it would take 5 mil plus to get him if I ever do put him on the block.

This year, I feel my Hotspurs are very deep and talented in the backline, and with Edwards in goal helping them out, I don't forsee too many goals being allowed by the club.

Later, I will preview the midfield and then the attack.

So don't stop reading now, as there is much more Tottenham football to come.

#18 DVauthrin, Nov 25, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2002
  19. Heath

Heath Member

Full Mansfield Squad:

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    13 Phillips, Steve GK ENG 6.5.78 32 - - £6K 17.5.15 £1.8M
    30 Niemi, Antti GK FIN 31.5.72 38 83 - £5.25K 19.6.10 £4K

5 Roberts, Gareth D/DM C WAL 11.6.82 27 23 1 £3.3K 3.6.10 £2.8M
    2 Karlsson, Per D R SWE 20.7.86 23 - - £1.6K 7.6.12 £2.2M
    3 Fredriksson, Dan D RLC SWE 2.8.85 24 1 - £4K 23.6.13 £2.1M