1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A call I've never seen before in an NBA game...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GATER, Jan 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Utah at Memphis...mid third quarter.

Utah forces a steal and DeShawn Stevenson heads down court. Stevenson gets to the arc at a 45 degree angle to the FT line, takes 4 dribbles inside the arc and makes a move to drive down the middle of the paint.

Bonzi Wells meets him at the FT line...both players collide and fall to the court.

One official calls a charge on Stevenson. Another official calls a block on Bonzi. After a small deliberation, they come to some "difference of opinion" conclusion, award a personal foul to both Stevenson and Wells and have Ostertag and Gasol jump ball at mid-court!

Anyone else see this or another NBA call this unusual?

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I think I've seen that call before. It happens about once every three years.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

is it called a difference of opinion when two officials disagree on who knocked a ball out of bounds and call a jump ball? though lots of times neither has a real call so it's more like difference of non-opinions.

but a foul on each guy? that's seems a little weird and i've definitely never seen it or heard of it, and i usually pay pretty good attention to most weird rules there are.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

wow. Yeah, i've seen what Francis4Prez wrote about, but never in terms of a disputed foul.

How about this one:

A few years ago, the rockets had all 5 offensive players on one side of the court. That was a violation of some sort. I still scratch my head on that one.

5. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Anyone ever seen an "Illegal Offense" call?

I'm sure there are other variations, but I saw it during the Lockout season: it's when four players are stationed outside the three-point arc, with one inside.

Then-Bucks PG Sam Cassell was backing down a Knick with four other Bucks outside the line, and if I remember correctly, the Knicks were awarded a FT, with Milwaukee getting the ball back.

George Karl was a genius, I tell you.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I take my statement back. Maybe my memory is creating stuff, but it has to what Kelly was writing about. Because the more and more I think about it, I have no idea how everyone being on one side is illegal. It has to be the 3pt thing. I don't know anymore.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

my memory of the illegal offense rule was that you could not have 3 people above the 3 point arc on the side opposite the ball.

i wonder how many times we did that back in 94 and 95 before that was a rule.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do believe this is a rule, actually. I seem to recall it being made against the Rockets once during one of the championship seasons as well.

9. ayears

ayears Member

""award a personal foul to both Stevenson and Wells and have Ostertag and Gasol jump ball at mid-court!" :eek:

Why the refs couldn't just replay the game video and chect what happened with that two players?

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My best guess....there is a rule for "difference of opinion" but there is no rule regarding the use of replay accept at the end of each quarter. IOW, with the exception of quarter ending shots, the rules do not specifically authorize officials to use replay.

IMO, granting the right to review blocking/charges on replay is a can of worms the NBA will never open. You can't review every one...too time consumming. So, where do you draw the line? Don't authorize the use for blocking/charges.

========================================

Here's a description of "Illegal Offense" from a website circa 1994:

B. Illegal Offense

RULE NO. 10 -- VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES

Section XV -- Isolation

If the offensive team stations three or more players above the tip of the circle, on the weak side, a violation shall be called.
    PENALTY: Loss of ball. Ball is awarded to the opponent at the tip of the circle extended.

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/doc/misc/nbastats/rsbbp.FAQ

11. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I dont think the illegal offense rule would still be a rule seeing as how teams can now play some zone defense. In the past, three players at the top meant three defenders guarding them, opening up the paint. Now, you can pretty much play your defense wherever you want.

12. ayears

ayears Member

Got it.

Thank for your explanation & a link,GATER. :)

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, the illegal offense rules were abolished when zones were allowed. Now, I think the only constraint on offense is the 3-second rule.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I saw somebody get called for travelling one time...No, really! :D

Somebody for the Kings in the Kings/Rockets game got called for double dribbling. I hadn't seen that called in a LONG time. Lane violations are called every so often even though it happens on every free throw...

...anybody remember the Charles Barkley rule? I think I've seen that called one time...

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought the illegal offense rule was set to stop teams from using a guys like Michael Jordan in a clear out ISO. Great one on one players could score at will with no fear of any help defense if that was allowed.

I'm with A-Train about traveling and double-dribble calls. It is too loose. And why have they stopped calling Shaq and Andre Miller for leaning over the line when shooting ft?