1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[6th round #177] Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2018.

?

Do you like the selection of Duke Ejiofor?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2018.
  1. YES

87.9%
  2. NO

12.1%
  1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I like this pick.
    If he didn't have some minor injury concerns, he likely goes in the late 3rd.
    Excellent pass rusher.

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

My thoughts.

I hope Holton Hill, Pryor from TCU and Bo Scarbourgh remain on the board

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Duke Ellington is a mystery player. I rank him as a question mark.

Martellus and Michael went to the same HS

Comparison:

Tim Duncan (Wake Forest)

Or

Kevin Johnson (Wake Forest)

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Give him a rookie "red shirt" (ST only) to heal, learn, and get strong, and he could be a nice player in 2 years.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He can be an outstanding player now. Reid and this guy are major value steals at the point of selection. Texans aren’t quite doing what I expected but they are adding talent and upgrading depth, best they can do with the mess Slick Rick left behind

zeeshan2 likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Have watched him a lot and simply love his game. His senior year seemed much hampered by the shoulder injury but when he was on the field and healthy, he seemed to be everywhere.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Really good value pick and liked that the kid played through the injury. Draft Insiders Digest had him #7 rated DE...

7 Duke Ejiofor #53 – Wake Forest 6-3 270 Sp. 4.80
    Hindu Theory: Adrian Clayborn Rating 82
    Fluid disruptive power player earned ACC honors over his final two seasons. Three-year starter at weakside end in a four-man front. Athletic frame with the strength and physique of an NFL player. His game is about technique and power along with a non-stop motor. Equally effective lining up at either left or right end with his hand on the ground, but in some passing situations will rush from a two point. Good mixture of speed and power with the ability to get off blockers and convert speed to power consistently. Good lower body explosiveness with long arms (34 7/8”) and difficult for any offensive lineman to redirect him. Comes off the snap with nice explosiveness and good initial quickness with the tenacity to win late on the down. Able to consistently use his fine hand strength to disengage from any blockers who try to lock on. Shows the speed to get past the tackle’s outside edge and run the arc, though has to get off the snap early. His game is more about technique and fundamentals than exceptional speed and quickness. Appears best suited for the strong side DE position in a 4-3. Lacks quick twitch ability off the snap, but shows good understanding of angles, hand use and avoiding blockers. Keeps working relentlessly toward the ball and appears to have a plan for the best way to get there. He has less length than most DE’s but does have relatively long arms to help make up for lack of height. Strong and physical, and able to hold his ground on running plays coming his way. Also, effective pursuing down the line and making plays from the backside. Played through pain and injury for a good part of 2017, with a torn labrum, that he waited till February 2018 to have repaired. With a 4-5 month recovery time, he should be ready by training camp, but will not be able to do any complete workouts before the draft. Capable of a good bull rush and knows how to rip and spin to get past blockers. In run defense, is able to use his power to hold his ground at the point of attack. Uses good technique to anchor vs big tackles despite only adequate size. Average hip flexibility and change of directions skills. Hard worker and good film room work to read plays quickly. Great motor and the speed in pursuit to make plays across the field. Alert and aware in space when called upon to drop and cover, though only marginal skills there. In 2017, when he recorded 43 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 1 PBU and 2 FF, earning 2nd team ACC honors. In 2016, he was also impressive with 50 tackles, 17 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 4 PBU and 2 FF and 1st team ACC honors. At the NFL Combine, he came in at 6’3” and 264 lbs. with 34 7/8” arms and 9 3/4” hands. He did not workout rehabbing from the surgery. Compares to Adrian Clayborn in size, flexibility, intangibles and AA. Mobile fluid defender plays with developed instincts and technique to be disruptive. Prospect with the upside potential to start with some technique and strength work. Top 75 prospect off a good late career. Combines intangibles, instincts and physical talent to be a three-down performer. Best playing down with the ability to provide a flexible defender to create mismatches.
    Draft Projection: 3rd-4th Round

Chamillionaire likes this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Lance Zerlien stated this guy is a 3rd rounder but had injury concerns that forced him to drop to the 6th round. Has many pass rushing moves, especially for a collegiate player.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Meh. Watt, Clowney, Kamalu...we taking flyers on 6th round picks I guess it's not a bad thing. I just see no way he plays a single down in a game that matters this season unless major players are hurt again. Just bugs me to pick a guy who has no chance of playing.

Nimo likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

It might take some time but he has a good chance of taking Brennan Scarlett's job. I think the plan is to switch to 3-4 OLB

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Why not? They've taken defensive ends and turned them into terrible OLBs for years now lol...

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

They have to. He is too small to play DE in the NFL. Plus it isn't a big deal since RAC moves people around a lot. He once has Mercilus lined up as a NT

raining threes likes this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

For example?

15. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Mario Williams. Barwin. Clowney. Everyone they’ve tried except Mercilus. Who has the body for it...

Ottomaton likes this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Remember Mario was balling at OLB until he tore his pec. He had like 7 sacks in 6 games. I think he tore it vs raiders 2011

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Maybe it's just me, health is part of the grade. It doesn't matter that it wasn't his fault but he didn't play over half the season. "Balling" is subjective.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Just looked it up 5 sacks in 5 games. I'll take that pace

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Guess it depends on what you consider terrible. Mario was having his best start to a season before getting injured, Barwin had a double digit sack season before the entire team imploded the next year, Clowney still lines up at OLB from time to time but certainly best with his hand in the ground. Reed is probably the only one I’d consider a bust. The rest certainly not great, but not terrible either IMO.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

There were some more failed experiments. The ones listed were the ones where it actually worked at least for some time. Trevardo is the only draft pick I can think of but I think there are a bunch of UDFAs that they have tried it with.

Dankstronaut likes this.