1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Which Houston Franchise will win a title first?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by snc, Mar 30, 2010.

?

Which team will win a title first?

1. Astros

32 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Rockets

114 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Texans

125 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. snc

snc Member

This was a topic on 610 yesterday. Looked to see if it was posted and didn't see it anywhere (not even sure which board was most appropriate but whatever).

Which major Houston franchise (Rockets, Astros, Texans) is in the best place to bring us our next championship?

I mostly follow the Rockets, and admittedly am probably a pretty big homer, but that's my choice. I wouldn't bet on winning it all next year or anything, but I like what Morey and Adelman are doing.

610 basically disregarded the Astros but seemed to think the Texans had the edge over the Rockets.

Thoughts?

2. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Out of all the team I have to say the Rockets first because the roll players that has been added to the team. It's possible for the Texans to sneak in the pictures and do it but the fan in the city of Houston will have no patience if the team doesn't make the playoffs in the next 2 years. The team will likely split up if that happens. The Astros have way too far to go to be a contender.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes I chose the Texans because I think they are only a player or two from really being a a serious contender.

The Rockets...I just don't know because of the injuries and the uncertainty of Yao. Plus all of the other power players (Lakers, Nuggets, etc) the Rockets haven't shown they are on THAT level yet.

Last year the Texans did show that they could compete with any team in the NFL, just that a few guys with the last name 'Brown' would ruin it for them. And in the NFL, it really doesn't matter what seed you are as long as you get in.

4. Poloshirtbandit

I'd say Texans just because the playing field is a lot more even compared to other sports.

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It is without a doubt the Rockets.

With a healthy Yao, they are a top 5 team at their best.

The Texans are a top 10 team at their best.

It is close, but the edge goes to the Rockets due to their upward trajectory in what is a very stable league in terms of team performance with a significant lack of parity.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Astros will be next to win a title. I don't see the Rockets winning a title behind Yao and Martin. The Texans are the most likely to win a title in their upcoming season, but thats because its the nature of football, but they play in a tough division, in a tough conference(Rockets have the same problem).

The Astros play in a division that is mediocre most years since it came into existence. They Astros are soon to be completely rebuilt, and they don't have salary cap restriction when it comes to signing FA's, and they've proven that they will spend money on the ML team.

7. msn

msn Member

I voted for the Astros because the Rox are pretty much out for 2010 and the next major championship to take place is the WS in October. Assuming the Astros aren't in it in October and you ask me again, I will vote for the Texans. If they don't make and you ask me in January, I will vote for the Rox.

Just paint me red and call me Homer. :grin:

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I voted for the Texans, because they looked damn good last season and the Browns...kicker and RB, ruined what should have been our first year in the playoffs.

Anything can happen then, compared to the NBA where you have to play 7 game series.

I would put the Rockets next, but I have my doubts about the current lineup (including the IR).

I just don't think Yao can stay on the floor long enough for this team to be contenders, with the current supporting staff too. Yao is fragile....and that's the Rockets downfall.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would have to say the Rockets because they have all the pieces and resources to make it happen but the West is so stacked that it could be an issue. Yao health and Morey's moves this offseason will either confirm and or change my opioion.

I need to see what the Texans do in the draft and with the right choices then it could be the Texans as the Favs. The NFL is pretty wide open so any given year it could be our year.

The Stros, saddly, will not be in contention for a WS title for a few more years. Saying that, I think with A LOT of luck and some good midseason moves in a weak division then this season could at least be fun till the end.

10. msn

msn Member

I've felt this way for years.

11. Uprising

me too....when we still had TMAC, they were the only 2 things carrying us....and destroying us.

12. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

No, the colts screwed it up by resting p-mann and losing to the jets

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Rockets supporting case then < Rockets supporting cast now

14. Uprising

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...goal line struggles and missed FG's killed our season.

15. Uprising

Don't get me wrong, I know they are a much better team now. My favorite team had to be our 2004-05 team when we played the Mavs....

We have some of the best support, if not the best support players....it's our stars / star that I'm worried about.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

No doubt it all rides on Yao.

But let's assume the best for both teams. (Yao 32 mins a game, all star level... Texans make those FGs and don't fumble)

Who do you think is the more championship caliber team then?

17. msn

msn Member

Every time I do that for Yao I get kicked in the gut. I can't assume the best for Peanut Brittle any more. Love the guy's character and work ethic and all, but he's less than what he could be on defense and he breaks. If the pattern from the last several years holds, at some point we'll have 20 million dollars on the bench dressed in an Armani suit while 50 bucks tries to compete in the NBA West. Again.

It's soooooo unfair for any big man that comes to Houston. He will always be compared to Dream, and no one will ever be Dream.

[rquoter]http://www.clutchfans.net/game.cfm?gameID=2937

Softness.

Imagine a cute, 7-foot-6 furry bunny wrapped in linen, hopping around on a grassy knoll eating pink buttercups or something in a Cage Death Match against Freddy Krueger on amphetamines. It doesn't take a CSI episode to realize that there's a bloody glove in Carlos Boozer's locker. Tonight, Yao was hopeless inside defensively as Boozer either used his quickness to get a step or two en route to the hoop, or nailed a 12-16 footer.[/rquoter]

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think you're confusing bad luck injuries (some dude crashing into your tibia or knee) with overuse/durability injuries (toe/foot).

The fragile label is unfair and not appropriate, imo.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Astros. All you have to do in MLB is make the playoffs and then it isn't always the best team that wins. I guess you could say that for the NFL too though, but it just seems more dependent upon how well the organization is run (drafting, managing the cap, etc.). In the NBA you really have to be the best team, which usually means having the best player. So I would probably put the Rockets last in this poll.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I will go with the ROckets in a landslide until the front offices of either the texans or astros proves to be competent. Ed Wade is a moron and Drayton......well. I don't think the Texans will ever win anything under Gary Kubiak. The ROckets on the other hand have a brilliant GM in Morey and one of the best coaches in the Game in Adelman. It's really not even a contest.