1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 Plays The Rockets Can Run With Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HP3, Jul 18, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Shout out to Drawing The Defense. This makes me excited to see what Mike will do with Westbrook.

#1 HP3, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Thanks!

I also like the double screen action at the top of the 3pt line that we used to run with Harden and Clint for CP3.

Westbrook would have so many options with our shooters spacing the floor and our other 2 best players heavily involved. Hopefully DeAntoni can figure this all out with our two superstars.

#2 FLASH21, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Lawlruschang, tmoney1101 and HP3 like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

My bad dude haha, fixed it. Should be good to go. :D

4. Nook

Nook Member

Capela doesn't set screens like Adams does.

Meh.

amaru likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

We could always trade OKC another two first rounders and Capela for Adams.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Dang man, thats discounting an awful lot solely on the screening abilities of Adams, no?

don grahamleone, kevtse and biff17 like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Man....its a very high risk, high reward move, but if does what we ask, offensively no one can stop us.

PhiSlamma15 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's Holic's wet dream right there.

I know, giving up 2 first AND Capela for someone not substantially better than Capela but who makes an extra $7M a year would be an insane thing to do, but hey, bye bye Clint, right?

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Screen the screener used to be the Rockets best action before they got Chris Paul. The amount of easy buckets they got off it was crazy. No idea why they stopped doing it.

Also, I would love to see them combine the peel action with a flare screen. Imagine Westbrook coming up like he is setting a screen for Harden and then flare off of Capela's screen up top. Then as soon as he gets the ball from Harden have him attack the basket like a mad man. It will either be a thundering dunk (pun intended) or a wide open 3 for Gordon, Tucker, or Rivers.

don grahamleone, BigShasta and HP3 like this.
  11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Immediate reaction - I love how he chose examples where the ball didn't go in the bucket. Couldn't he dig a little deeper and find examples where the played ended with them scoring?

12. biff17

biff17 Member

Capela is a great screen setter.

And the Rockets already run some of those plays.

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

Okay, that's four.... now only 20 more to go.

14. dmoneybangbang

This. If BOTH Harden and Russ buy in and mess this games, then its very high reward.

HP3 likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Plain and simple WB is a huge talent upgrade over Paul at this point .

He may not have the best fit on paper , but it will be up to MDA to create an offense where Russ can be comfortable and effective .

I love the WB trade .

I really like our roster (especially if we can just add more 1 above average forward )

I'm scared with MDA . I dunno if he has the ability to come up with a a system that isn't "one guy handles the ball and creates ...
    Everyone else spot up ."

I know his offenses have been great, on paper, in the regular season .

But last playoffs it wasn't GS can't stop us down the stretch.... it was we can't stop them and they can deny us .

With all of MDA's offensive genius ... I haven't seen end a game on a streak of wide open threes or layups . It was always either harden/Paul came through for you at the end of the game or they didn't .

Theoretically Russ can help take even more of a load off James than CP3 did . Likewise James can take a huge load off Russ .

16. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Irrelevant. Purpose of a successful play is to create the best scoring opportunities for the players. Whether the ball go through the hoop or not isn't controllable so it shouldn't matter in the context of designing said actions.

Any plays that result in a player shooting an uncontested 3 or a wide open shot under the basket is a great play. Looks at the 2nd example from the video where Adam gets a wideopen layup from Westbrook but clanks it under the hoop. That was a high percentage play. I think basketball fans tend to be a little too result oriented.

Example:
    1. Steph Curry gets an uncontested open look from 3. But misses.
    2. Shaq shoots a contested runner from beyond the free throw line over Yao Ming. Makes it.

Which is a better play? Which shot has a higher efficiency over the long run?

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lol this video has harden running around AND setting screens. i'll believe it when i see it.

burlesk likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I am fine with Capela.

Adams is just the better player and does a lot of little things that don’t show up in the box score.
    Capela is fine as a screen setter. I don’t know that I would call him great but he certainly is willing. Adams is just better, possibly the best.

amaru and HP3 like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Really liking that Peel Action.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Hopefully Chandler came to the Rockets to set some mean screens running PNR with Russ off the bench.