1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Pretty bad when water-carrying Fox News calls out the latest Trump lie on pre-existing coverage in new Trump/republican plan to takeaway health care coverage from millions...

Trump guarantees new ObamaCare plan covers pre-existing conditions, in bid to pass overhaul plan
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-conditions-in-bid-to-pass-overhaul-plan.html

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lie, lie, lie. Comrade Trump is an expert liar.

daywalker02 and edwardc like this.
  3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

That's funny you say that because lies were used to sell Obamacare in the first place.

cml750 likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I lost my plan, I lost my doctor and premiums went up 3x.

Trumps plan sucks. Republicans plans sucks. Obama's plans sucks. Im starting to see a trend here.

marks0223 and cml750 like this.
  5. CometsWin

Was this before or after Obama invaded Texas with his Jade Helm plot? I forget.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What did Mike on Breaking Bad say about half-measures? Or Ron Swanson's quote about whole-assing one thing instead of half-assing two things?

I don't even know if it's possible to "revolutionize" the US healthcare system because of the entrenched players on all sides. However, both sides seek only half-measures to appeal to their constituencies instead of meaningful, difficult legislation that looks at the long-term.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

To get meaningful reforms done, there will be major losers, no one wants to take on the AMA, big drug makers, the hospitals, and the insurance groups. We have the highest healthcare cost per person because many people are making a ton of money in the process, when you take away someone's bread, you can bet they will come after you.

8. NewRoxFan

As someone whose daughter overcame a significant heart defect requiring surgery at birth, I appreciate Jimmy Kimmel's perspective and support of ACA as his own newborn son overcomes a significant heart defect and surgery (and offer my family's prayers for continued good health). His description of the scene at the hospital brought back memories from 22 years ago...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/entertainment/jimmy-kimmel-baby-surgery/

edwardc and R0ckets03 like this.
  9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is much harder to run a country than to just oppose everything apparently.

Joshfast and B-Bob like this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The party of "No" has become the party of "Huh?"

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good thread from Never Trump GOP pollster Rick Wilson about anti-Obamacare efforts in 2009:

Basically, the GOP cannot weaken access to coverage for people with pre-existing conditions and hope to survive politically. It is a red line for voters.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Romneycare AKA Obamcare was a last ditch attempt to keep the useless middlemen i.e the for profit industry skimming off about 30% of heathcare dollars and interposing themselves between patients and doctors.

Support for single payer is in the 55% range and growing rapidly as people wise up and watch he Repubs after 8 years of granstanding argue about how exactly to make Obamacare worse by denying healthcare to more sick people, but more profitable for their insurance lobby funders. lol

13. CometsWin

The hurry up and die GOP plan is a real boon for Trump voters. Congrats! You earned it!

R0ckets03 likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the pre-existing coverage requirement is a means of destroying the insurance market entirely, as it eliminates any reason to purchase insurance

15. NewRoxFan

Feel sorry for Aetna, who reported profits that exceeded expectations in January. But hey, keep trying to end coverage for preexisting coverage, it seems like a popular position.

16. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, it's their fault that the short sighted legislation that Obama had to bribe Democrats to push through isn't profitable for companies. They should probably operate as a charity and willingly lose money in those areas because they make money in other areas. Brilliant.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Alt-leftist like NewRoxFan, who obviously does not understand Aetna's insurance business model, should subsidize unprofitable markets in Obamacare from many of their other profitable models.

19. CometsWin

Why should I subsidize your child's education. GOP plan for vouchers. Why should I subsidize your highways? GOP plan for toll roads. Why should I subsidize the CDC? Why should I subsidize NIH? Why should I subsidize the EPA? Why should I subsidize FEMA? Why should I subsidize NTSB? They're all terribly unprofitable. The alt-dumbass plan for deconstructing society itself.

20. NewRoxFan

"Alt-leftist". Cute. Curious as to what makes someone an "alt-leftist". But I reckon its just a childish attempt to insult resulting from the embarrassment you feel having been called out for you voting for and supporting Trump, reflected in your compulsion to defend him at every chance.

But back to the topic at hand and your other compulsion... to defend the insurance companies. In this case, Aetna, a company determined to use ACA and pre-existing coverage as a hammer to get their Humana acquisition approved. A company that vaguely complains about how they are hurting while recording higher than expected revenues and profits of $2.9 billion. So if they are hurting from meeting the insurance needs of people with pre-existing conditions they used to refuse before ACA those ginormous profits they had in 2016 (and the ACA years before I believe) sure are not reflecting it.

And btw all companies, all types of businesses have product and business lines and customer segments that vary in revenue contribution and margin. After Aetna gets the government to alleviate the requirement to insure people with pre-existing conditions for the benefit of even higher profits, what next? What other categories of people should be excluded? Women? Infants? Old people? Those customer segments must be less profitable...