1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope many will not support Trump based on his disrespect and lack of support for our military troops.

Trump has
    1. Taken money from the daycare of military families to try and pay for his wall.
    2. Ignored a bounty placed on the heads of our troops serving in combat by a foreign adversary
    3. Super-imposed himself over military decisions regarding a renegade murderer who was held accountable for shaming our troops with is cruelty and murder.

This is just a small part of the list.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And my issue is with candidates who lie or avoid answering relevant questions posed to them. The role of a good moderator is to keep them honest and on track, in real time, and not allow them to get away with spouting BS on the air.

The ONLY purpose of a debate is to inform the public on the positions of the candidates and how well they can articulate and defend those positions. A good moderator ensures that the debate effectively serves this function. If the debate only serves to provide a platform for the candidates to spread misinformation, then by all means it should be scrapped.

RayRay10, Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No need for you to have issues considering Biden will never agree to any debates and if he does he will just back out - right?

RayRay10, Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Important point though that the “support the troops” crowd are rarely the ones with kids in the military now in 2020. Some of them served in Vietnam, Desert Storm, or early days in Iraq, but the military right now doesn’t really look like Trump country.

I think there’s this representation of the military with the Chris Kyle type that the Trump base glorifies but those guys aren’t all of the military. I will say though that the Seal Team Six guys are kind of crazy Trumpers who literally scare me. I went on a hunting thing with members of seal team six and a country singer a few years back. Those guys are nuts.

Needless to say I think the culture of badassery and shooting “bad guys” (or insert your select racial slur) outweighs actual support of military support. Trumpers will like that Trumps sets loose the Chris Kyles to go get head shots and ignore Chris Kyle’s benefits or the cozying up to the dictators around the world who fund “the bad guys”. Most Trump supporters who glorify the military don’t have the intellectual capacity to understand foreign affairs. If they did then they wouldn’t support the wars to begin with. It’s just go shoot brown people who want to fly planes into the World Trade Center.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

No it isn't. We don't need a filter controlling what we hear. Let them speak.

6. Commodore

right

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Listening to them run through their usual talking points is not the point of a debate. They are free to do that all they want on Twitter and in their campaign ads. I have zero interest in watching them spend an hour or two just talking past one another while we pretend there’s a debate going on.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It sure would be bad having someone there making sure both candidates are telling the truth.

RayRay10, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of the US was against the war in 2004 yet Bush still won even though he was running in it and Kerry was running against it.

As another poster noted too people have short memories and shorter attention spans. Consider most people forgot that In 1994 Clinton had a disaster in the failure of healthcare and a very unpopular 1993 budget. He still got re-elected easily. Attention spans are even shorter now than they were in 1996 or 2004.

Again Trump doesn’t need a landslide or the popular vote. He just needs to scrape by. While I’ve said the route is getting harder for him it’s still very much possible.

RayRay10, mdrowe00 and ROXTXIA like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have rallies and their own ads to speak unfiltered. A debate isn’t out on by the campaigns. It’s meant to be a back and forth between the candidates and the moderators. It’s not a stump for them to just speak on.

RayRay10, Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. I ain't countin' my chickens just yet. If Trump loses, not only will his ego refuse to admit it, but he has various jurisdictions who are after him with open handcuffs. If he had been honest when Hannity pitched him the softball of "what do you want to accomplish in a second term?", he would have said, "I don't want to be humiliated in court or have to plea bargain my way out of prison."

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Interesting that having people checking the truth of what candidates say is a negative for you.

RayRay10, R0ckets03 and mdrowe00 like this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't think political truth exists. Politics by nature has people one different side of issues.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's your interpretation of why he won.

I think he won in spite of it but it still does not refute the fact that Trump has run on being anti war and you have yet to identify the voters who in 20?20 are gonna flip to rally around flag or that will think should be the commander in chief during a war.

Do you actually think all will be forgiven just to rally around the flag?

attention spans might be shorter but Trump will always regain that attention by doing or saying something stupid, this is not Clinton or Bush.

Clinton wasrunning a surplus, Trump is currently preciding over a country that is having record job loss why would you compare Clinton and Trump?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yet facts are still facts, and politicians especially Trump seem challenged regarding that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Commodore

the point is to say what will attract votes

if debating doesn't attract votes and talking points do, that's on the voters

17. Commodore

I can check it myself, thanks

18. Commodore

yeah, an Oracle of Delphi journo dispensing truth to me, what ever would I do without that

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

We've seen mistakes with that on these boards. I've made mistakes as well. Many people don't bother checking at all. I have no problem with people checking and I can double-check.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly why should Biden debate Trump if he doesn’t want to? Debates were started during a time before mass media and twitter.

While I would like Biden to debate for the purposes of decorum and future campaigns... after the current President showed you can throw all civilities, laws and rules to the side, I cannot blame Biden if he decides he wants to only do a debate or two and under his conditions. Biden doesn’t NEED the debates, Tubby does... he can agree to the requests of the Biden camp or go to twitter and tell everyone how terrible Biden is.