1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bear_Bryant, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A couple days having passed I’m higher on Santos. I saw a Vince Velasquez comp on another site and I like that. He has a very high ceiling and there’s an argument that he slots in the 5-10 range on Houstons prospect list. With a good full season debut next year he will be a Top 100 guy with ace potential.

Im not all that excited about the other 3 picks. A 3-4-5 round like Brewer-Barber-Brown was really great last year and I don’t see Brown-Daniels-Whitcomb as anywhere near that good. Strange year.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Taking a step further, I think this 2-5 group compares closely with last year’s:

A high floor college SS who may have to move to 2B (Kessinger/Whitcomb)

A high ceiling 70 grade runner college CF with power potential (Brewer/Daniels)

4 pitch mix college righty (Brown/Brown)

Star upside advanced HS draftee (Barber/Santos)

Like I said I like last years group better but I think it’s interesting how they align.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Might be reading too much into this but ... Luhnow’s Nerd Cave may still rule the roost.

Nook, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

First four UDFAs on the tracker:

- Jimmy Endersby, RHP, Concordia University Irvine
    - Justin Dirden, OF, Southeast Missouri State
    - Cesar Gomez, RHP, UT-Arlington
    - Peter Zimmerman, IF, Missouri

Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
  7. raining threes

Are these the Astros UDFA's?

8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Looks like it

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

#70 tellitlikeitis, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    No Worries likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

So...do we have a good shot at landing some quality UDFA’s? I would think a ton of quality players would be available since the draft only went 5 rounds. Lots of unknowns this year, though. IIRC, the max signing numbers for UDFAs is low...so many will opt to return to the College ranks. I’m sure some players can be persuaded into signing now...you’d think HOU would be a very attractive option. Players want to be here—to better their own careers, and HOU does have internal opportunity as well with our current farm being as depleted as it is.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

the answer to your question is literally in the post above you

13. awc713

awc713 Member

I know we signed those UDFAs. My question is more about the quality of the post-draft signees given the new 5-round draft. Will the UDFAs be quality prospects who have a legitimate chance to make it to the big leagues, or will most of the quality players return to next year’s draft pool. I guess time will tell but surely there are good players available. Whether they can be convinced to sign at the lower max signing bonus is another story.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The vast majority of these guys signing probably would've been picked as senior signs in rounds 6-10 or day 3 draftees in normal circumstances

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Well look at some guys from the current roster...

Myles Straw 12th round
    Ryan Pressly 11th round
    Brad Peacock 11th round
    Michael Brantley 7th round
    Josh Reddick 17th round
    Austin Pruitt 9th round
    Martin Maldonado 27th round

Yea... these guys have a shot. Every player has to weigh the decision to stay in college or go pro. We don't even know if there will be a college season next year at this point. This is a unique situation for everyone.

Nook and No Worries like this.
  16. prospecthugger

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Endersby:
    “I’ve gone up to about 2,550 (rpm). I’ve hit 2,600 (rpm) on my spin rate once with my heater,” said Endersby, who had a 1.88 ERA and 37 strikeouts in 28 2/3 innings this year. “Stuff like that, which opens eyes to organizations like that who like analytics.”

“I don’t pitch with my analytics; my analytics just follow how I am on the mound,” Endersby said. “I would say I have above average data — vertical break on my heater, vertical break on my curveball, spin rate — and the Astros take that into effect, and they know how to produce big league pitchers. That was probably one of my biggest decisions: What team can develop me into a big leaguer?”

Gomez (former two-way player):

“I feel like they can polish me up,” Gomez said. “I feel like I have enough spin rate for them to work with me. And it’s just the team that their minor league system goes through Texas. Everything is close to home. It was a good fit.”

Zimmermann:

“What sold me on the Astros was seeing the different ways they go about developing their players from the different analytical standpoints of how they measure players’ movements, how they look and how guys perform and how they project it,” Zimmermann said. “They really dive into the secondary stats and things like that. Understanding why you’re maybe having success or not. If you have elite exit (velocity), how do you utilize that?”

Added Zimmermann: “You’re almost awestruck when an MLB team recruits you. It was really weird. I’m glad I don’t have to go through this again. It was definitely weird.”

#77 tellitlikeitis, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Nook, awc713, No Worries and 4 others like this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Media slanders us, but the players want to be us.

No Worries and phasors28 like this.
  19. raining threes

Media cant stand Luhnow because his plan worked when the media told everybody it wouldn't work. Drellich/Olney/Passan/Footer etc....

The fact that Luhnow was ruthless and unrepentant is really what pissed off the media. Signing Osuna was the last straw with the media and when the media is out to get you, you're dead. But you have to be ruthless if you want to beat the Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox at their own games.

The Astros run was great while it lasted.

20. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Noticed that as well. The drafted players respect the Astros and how they develop players

RKREBORN and raining threes like this.