1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Whoaaa!! Slow down there

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Depends. Can he play first base?

Smacktle and jayfree like this.
  3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This... times 200

BMoney and HTown2017Champs like this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

5. AstrosRockets1818

Haha

6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Correa for De Grom. Who says No?

It just struck me, after listening to someone say there's a lot of ARod in Correa's persona, that he'd be ideal for a team needing a star and liking that he's under team control for two years after this one. He seems like he'd fit in great in NY, this is looking like Correa's 3rd straight season of 110 ish games played, and we all know the Astros need another starter.

7. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Figured I would post a few paragraphs from Ken Rosenthal's article this morning:

5. Which starting pitchers will the Astros and Yankees acquire?

Both AL contenders figure to compete for the same group of starters with at least one additional year of control remaining – Bauer, Boyd, the Blue Jays’ Marcus Stroman and any others who might become available. Bauer to the Astros would produce baseball’s answer to a reality show, given the pitcher’s strained relationship with Cole dating back to their days at UCLA. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

The Astros’ situation is growing ominous. Cole, Justin Verlander, Wade Miley and Brad Peacock have combined for a 3.36 ERA in 74 starts. The team’s other four starters have combined for a 6.88 ERA in 20 starts, averaged fewer than five innings per outing. And now the latest twist: Peacock on Monday will visit with team doctors in Houston after experiencing a setback in his recovery from a shoulder injury.

A longer-term asset such as Boyd should be particularly attractive to the Astros considering that both Cole and Miley are free agents after this season. Such a deal is not out of the question: The Astros and Tigers combined to complete the more complex Verlander trade in August 2017, and the Astros’ farm system remains strong. But if Peacock is out for an extended period, the Astros might need to add two starters, as well as a reliever. Gulp.

The Yankees, as detailed by the New York Post’s Joel Sherman, prefer a starter with high-end stuff and durability. Bauer best fits the profile, along with the Mets’ Zack Wheeler and Diamondbacks’ Robbie Ray. Stroman also would be intriguing, considering his Long Island roots and penchant for the spotlight. Of course, the Blue Jays might not be inclined to trade with the Yankees again after landing only infielder/outfielder Brandon Drury and outfielder Billy McKinney last season for the left-handed rental, J.A. Happ.

8. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I know baseball trades are a totally different animal but I do hope Luhnow plays this aggressively. I'm not talking about trading all of our top prospects and depleting the farm system. If the doctors expect Peacock to be out for a couple of months, Houston is going to need two starting pitchers. This team imo is set up perfectly to win this year's World Series. There is a lot of uncertainty around pitching heading into 2020. I hope they can cash this in.

HTown2017Champs and texans1095 like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Interesting idea but no way the Mets do that. The only reason to trade DeGrom is if they are rebuilding, in which case adding Correa with only 2 years left makes no sense. A more plausible deal would be Correa and a 3rd tier pitching prospect (Valdez, Armenteros, etc.) for Syndergaard and Rosario. Correa and Syndergaard have the same control remaining. Houston has Diaz (and potentially Beer, Jones, Rojas, and Toro since Gurriel can shift to 3B and Bregman to SS) to mitigate the loss of Correa. Still not sure that makes a ton of sense for NY but I think it’s more realistic than a DeGrom for Correa trade.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. prospecthugger

If the Astros top 4 starters are really good, that's kind of an argument for not really needing another starter, isn't it? No team runs a 5 man rotation in the playoffs. It's probably a good idea to pick up someone to protect against injury, especially with Peacock hurt, but worrying about the 5th starter for a team on pace for 101 wins seems a little silly. If they can get pretty good value, sure adding pitchers sounds great, but I don't get the panicking some are doing. It seems like Astros fans are worried about the team not being perfect, while other fans just hope their team can get on par with the Astros.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is a good point, but I think there’s a fair argument that Miley and Peacock really aren’t that good. I think we all agree they’ve exceeded expectations so far this season and that we wouldn’t have a problem with either of them starting Game 4, but if you put Miley up against the likely game 3 starters of other likely playoff teams, he is comparable at best:

NYY: Happ/Sabathia (Yankees likely to add)
    TB: Glasnow
    BOS: Porcello/Rodriguez
    MIN: Perez/Gibson/Pineda
    ATL: Fried/Gausman/Teheran
    WAS: Corbin
    PHI: Eflin (Phillies likely to add)
    CHC: Quintana/Hamels/Darvish
    LAD: Ryu/Maeda/Hill

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

would do this in a heartbeat!
    I think he is going to look to move to a city that has more media coverage for himself and his fiancé. and will be too good of a target for LA or NY to pass up. The offense is doing fine without him so might as well get something for him. IF they can do a straight up, it would save the prospects for another move as well

Gray_Jay likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hey, did you guys hear that Carlos Correa likely wants to play in a big city when he becomes a free agent? Never heard that before...

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I think you're right about the Mets saying no. Though getting out from under 32+ million a year has to be a consideration, and frankly, the Mets should be rebuilding, with past seasons of 70, 77, and on pace for 73 wins this year.

Syndergaard does make more sense though, both on a relative quality basis, and the same years of team control as you mentioned. I don't like his injury history though. Is he over the back problems that sidelined him for large chunks of 2017? He'd make a great #3 or 4 here though if healthy.

Of course, that just makes him a better fit to be traded for Correa...

15. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I get what you're saying but I don't see Miley or Peacock as a true 3rd starter. We can point to Miley's numbers and say he has been very consistent this year. I would argue he is going to be their 4th starter come postseason. Peacock hasn't been solid over his last few starts and now he is having more issues with his shoulder. The pen is also being used heavily.

I think fans are seeing that the pitching staff has some very clear holes. They are still on pace to win 100 games but I think the goal is to have the best record. You don't want to face the Yankees in the ALCS with them having home field advantage

16. prospecthugger

Peacock's 2nd to last start he struck out 11 and walked none over 6 innings in Yankee stadium.

If healthy, I think it's reasonable to expect Peacock and Miley to be around 4 ERA talent starters, which is probably what every team but the Dodgers, Nationals, Indians, and maybe Rays are going to be running out there.

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would be surprised if the Astros find a "3rd starter"... meaning someone better than Miley. The prices are insanely high for starters right now from what I've heard. Hopefully, the prices come down. Otherwise, I expect the acquisiton to be a number 4-5 starter just to eat innings and maybe a reliever.

19. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

20. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.