1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Playoff Odds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, May 16, 2019.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I bet Yankees vs Cubs for the World Series before the season.

Hope I am wrong, but the Yankees only being one game behind the Astros in the loss column with Judge, Stanton, Didi, Severino, Betances, Paxton, Tulowitzki, and Andujar all on the DL and expected to return (except for Andujar) is kind of scary.

Plus, Domingo German has become a Cy Young candidate.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Should make for a great series

3. Buck Turgidson

Stros haven't even traded for their 3rd Ace yet. Or their 3rd bullpen hammer. Or called up their.....

boomboom likes this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I also thought the Yankees have played a very easy schedule to start the year. I know they have played Baltimore several times, Kansas City, and other sub .500 teams.

Don't get me wrong, i agree they look very dangerous keeping a solid record with all their injuries.

5. Buck Turgidson

They've had so many, ridiculously many, injuries so far that it's impossible to judge them. Who knows what they'll be like in September?

Buuuut...the only "playoff" teams they've played are Hou/Bos/TB/Min/Az and they're 8-8. 21-9 against the rest. 7-2 against Baltimore so far.

6. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

My only concern with them is the trading deadline. I get the sense both Hou and NY will be looking at a SP.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Their lineup will be ridiculous if healthy. Do the have, can they get, the pitching? They are scary at full-strength.

Joe Joe and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  8. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Just doing a little more research on the remaining schedule and all i can say is wow... if this team can stay healthy and can avoid major injuries, they are set for home field imo.

The last two months of the season, they play 53 games. Of those 53 games, 6 games will be against teams with a winning record. 29 games still in the division with the majority of those in the last month.

I counted Texas as having a losing record but they currently sit at .500.

I

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s always appropriate to count the Rangers as losers.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

chart (3).png According to FanGraphs, Astros should lose the division once every 125 times with a team this good. Pessimists gotta have something to root. I am loving the 0.0% for Arlington.

Blatz and hieuytran like this.
  11. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All time single season wins record is within reach if the team stays healthy.

13. AB423

AB423 Member

I saw on yahoo that the Yanks and Rays are expecting to negotiate with Keuchel after the June 2nd deadline.

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Altuve, Springer, Diaz, McHugh, ..Correa

I’ll take a division title and health in October

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Ok, so I was talking about a world where the Astros blew a 7 game lead in May and didn't win the division and what that would have to look like:
    All the guys on the DL don't come back or aren't right, while Correa joins them, as well as maybe 1 of Bregman and Brantley, then top that off with an injury to JV or Cole, while Tucker and Alvarez both bust, as well as other guys that are interesting like Toro, and Whitley remains broken, James can't get stretched out and still, I'd have to assume "other stuff" beyond that would have to happen before I'd entertain the idea of the Astros not winning the division.
    It puts into perspective the amazing job that the FO has done in building this roster, both at the ML level and in the minors.

I'd just as soon see Altuve take the whole month of June off, welcome Springer back August 1st, put Correa on the shelf for another 8 days at least, and after he says he's healthy (and I don't think hes the flaming vagina some in the fan base think he is, but he's also lets just say more Jaguar than Ford Taurus from a reliability standpoint) give him 3 more on top of that.

None of it matters. Yes, It would have been nice to see an all time team (which this team definitely had the potential to be if everything broke right), but I can have satisfaction with little things in life like watching the team go 15-13 or something like that in June, with 5 of their top 10 players hurt or something silly like that, if it means health from about September 10th on. If we go into October with 2 or 3 of our top 6 or 7 guys basically unplayable like we did last year that's where I haz a sad.

RunninRaven likes this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Trade for a 3rd ace? There is odd-year Keuchel available...

17. Buck Turgidson

Shut the **** up.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Watching the Twins against TB and they look good. I wonder if they will keep this pace all year.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

40-20.

If you throw out the two 10 game win streaks, the Astros are a .500 ball club right now.

20. Buck Turgidson

Thankfully they weren't fat and content for those stretches.

Wulaw Horn and leroy like this.