1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 25, 2019.

?

Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Poll closed May 30, 2019.
  1. Warriors in 4

8.9%
  2. Warriors in 5

28.3%
  3. Warriors in 6

25.6%
  4. Warriors in 7

3.3%
  5. Raptors in 7

24.4%
  6. Raptors in 6

8.3%
  7. Raptors in 5

0.6%
  8. Raptors in 4

0.6%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

another useless post...you’re wasting my time...moving on

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

My take was that Casey is a good coach, but there was clearly something up with the team. Making a coaching change (along with shuffling the roster a bit) and *boom* title. Similar to how GS started their run...

3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The irony.

You mention a useless post.

But lets rewind time when you commented on my post. Saying it doesn't change the 'fact'.

Yet, nothing about my post resembled any argument trying to 'change the fact'

Are you done kid?

It's embarrassing.

More embarrassing than Curry trying to win without his monstars.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Oh I 100% agree.

I see the exact same with the Rockets right now.

But there's plenty of people who don't want to make a change because there's no 'Phil Jackson' calibre coach out there.

When we don't need that. We just need a competent coach.

The Raptors deserved to win. They made the right decisions when they had to.

naldodiaz, Jake Tower and Little Bit like this.
  5. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

Rockets win 2019 NBA championship!
    Spurs win 2019 NBA championship!
    Grizzlies win 2019 NBA championship!
    Thunder win 2019 NBA championship!
    Warriors win 2019 NBA championship!
    Former [enter team name] player(s) win(s) 2019 NBA championship!

I'm sure I missed a couple of teams, but congratulations all around. For any true NBA, or basketball in general, fan, this series was truly one of the best, for me at least, in years. Just some notes below:

1. Warriors really are that good. But so are the Raptors. Vanvleet, Igoudala, Siakam, Cousins, Ibaka, Looney are players after Harden we can only imagine having at this point.
    2. Raptors are certainly deserving of the trophy. I would have gotten over it had the Warriors won also, but glad to finally see another team win the championship.
    3. As much as I can hate on Draymond with all the crying, he played his heart out rebounding, passing, and doing all the things that are necessary for the best scorers on his team to do their thing.
    4. Kawhi has earned my respect once again as one of the better all around players in the league. He became one of my favourite Spurs player (is that allowed here) after Duncan and the whole Spurs debacle gave me mixed feelings about him.
    5. Unfortunate to see Durant and Thompson go down the way they did as this series could have gone completely different, but still happy with the result. Much respect to those guys for doing what they do best though.
    6. Seeing some of my favourite non-Rockets win a championship (Lowry, Gasol, and even Lin to a degree).
    7. While I'm a bigger fan of the 90's era basketball, seeing how much respect each team showed the other was something I never thought I'd see in a playoff game. It was rather refreshing.

All in all, I'm excited for the city of Toronto. The Warriors fought hard, but the more deserving team came out on top I believe. Kudos to both teams for giving us a hell of a series and hope next year Houston will be the ones celebrating.

BaselineFade and yoeddy like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dude, they won the championship and went through terrific teams to get to the Finals. Did you lose a bet or something? Geez.

Easy and Sajan like this.
  7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congratulations to Toronto! I really like seeing a team that pushed all of its chips into the center of the table win a championship. A few stray thoughts:
    • I gained a lot of respect for Klay Thompson in this series. That dude is fearless and it's scarier watching him shoot a 3 than Steph at this point. ACL recovery is a lot better now than it was a few years ago and I think he'll be fine.
    • I still can't figure out if Klay would be this good if he were the #1 option. I can't figure out if Kerr is even a good coach. They've all benefited from the gravity of each other over the last few years.
    • We'll find out if Kerr is a good coach next season when he can't rely on an otherworldly collection of talent to win games.
    • LOL at Boogie not winning his free ring. I hope he enjoys playing meaningless minutes for the Suns or Hawks next season.
    • I would bet against the Raptors repeating. We don't know if Kawhi will leave, Gasol and Ibaka will be a year older and Lowry can't carry the team by himself. Pascal Siakam is a huge building block going forward, though.
    • If Kawhi leaves, it will be a geographic decision. There is no basketball or marketing argument to be made in favor of the Clippers over Toronto. He has an entire country ready to follow his every move and buy "Board Man" t-shirts. If he goes to the Clippers, he'll be in the shadow of the sideshow Lakers while he goes through the whole process of building relationships with a new team for the second time in two years.

Patience, BaselineFade, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  8. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

This. I agree with everything you said. Well put mate.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

Warriors remain committed to signing both players to long term max contracts. With Klay Thompson, he was waiting to know whether he'd get the full 5-year max deal. Once he had that offer, gets that offer, he made it clear he wants to stay. If he gets something south of that, they run the risk of him taking meetings June 30th. Kevin Durant, even with the achilles injury, he can expect to get the full 5-year max offer from the Warriors. They see a long term future. These are players young enough & at the top of their craft. They're not looking to disassemble this team but it will be on pause if they can sign both.

Does winning a championship, becoming a national hero in Canada soften Kawhi's stance on staying in Toronto?

If it does, I'm not sure he's shared that with anyone beyond maybe those closest to him. I don't know how much emotion sentiment goes into a decision for Kawhi. He came to Toronto with the idea this was a one-year deal. I'm sure it exceeded his expectations, how they managed him, to be a Finals MVP again, to win a championship but there was always a risk of him going back West. The Clippers are at the top of that list. The Raptors still have work to do between now & June 30th to keep Kawhi in Toronto.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Factual explanations aren’t always meant to be excuses.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Patience, Deckard and Jake Tower like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Shuffling the roster a bit... They added arguably the best player in the league.

13. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

The last memory Warrior fans have in the Oracle is their greatest player bricking the game winner.

hakeem94 and Sajan like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The raptors were simply the beneficiaries of astonishing good luck
    We ALL know Coach Nurse would be nursing his wounds at the hands of a victorious worriers team were it not for devastating opponent-injuries
    @Jake Tower
    Martha Stewart could have coached that team in the East with a similar outcome

#3255 Tfor3, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is Morey is also building his fortune on some luck.

Dun tell me he is giving CP3 that contract and signing 34 yr old PJ as a viable long term project.

He was hoping GSW had those type of injuries or the imploding beef between Donkey and KD.........it can only work for 1 team!

In all seriousness, I dun think Rockets have a chance with both teams fully healthy and hungry.

LabMouse and Tfor3 like this.
  17. Mr. Space City

Now that basketball reference updated their finals stats page, Klay was something else.

He shot 58.5% from 3! o_O

24/41 from 3 through 5 games (I forgot he missed 1 game). That’s insane.

#3257 Mr. Space City, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    hakeem94, Deckard, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

All that means is that he missed over 41% of the time!! Let that sink in:p

hakeem94 and Mr. Space City like this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member