1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Beavis Stiffler

2. Fantasma Negro

England has to finish with ten, that's game pretty much

3. Fantasma Negro

4. Beavis Stiffler

Honestly as a fan IMO, the USA doesn’t need help from the officiating. They have the talent to win it all.

I’m always rooting against Goliath-type teams. Same with the USA basketball team. I’m more of a underdog fan rooting for some big upsets. I think it’s because I mostly grew up following my local teams in Houston (Rockets, Dynamo, Texans, Astros, etc.). Sure I like to have only one 3-peat dynasty at least. Plus, we don’t act snobbish and keep bragging that our teams are better than yours like we’re Boston.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Ball didn't lie on that penalty. What a terrible call. The offsides call was correct, like it or not.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Brilliant save by Alyssa, came through in the clutch after struggling the whole tourney. However, that was definitely not a penalty, crazy call imo. Offsides call was also 100% correct, England player had 1 step ahead of the US, not sure why it was even a discussion.

Also, Rose Lavelle is incredibly talented, too bad she got hurt. She is the future of the team

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lavelle looked great on the ball as did Heath. Nice win, onto the Finals!!

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Guessing strategy (which was posted before I knew she was dealing with a hammy). Press has a little more pace and a little better on the ball while Rapinoe is better offensively. It certainly worked out with Press getting the first goal. That said, I was surprised by the move. I thought that if they're not going to play Rapinoe, it would be for Carly Lloyd (who I think deserves to start). I would've even thought Press instead of Rose Lavelle...though she played much better than she did against Spain. That meg was nasty.

Was a great game from start to finish. England is a very good team and certainly earned their spot in the semis. I did think that PK was a bad call by VAR. It wasn't called a PK and there was no reason to overturn it. It wasn't blatant contact, even if contact was there. There was no effort by the defender to play the person instead of the ball. It was inadvertent and should've been left alone...but it worked out in the end with a poor take and a great save. Still, some great 1v1 defending by the US and, as they do, they just out work you.

If I have one complaint about this team, I do not agree with Ellis' strategery of trying to kill the ball in the corner with so much time left. They had to know that with the VAR and the injury time that it was going to go at least 5 min past 90. Keep f***ing playing. You have free kicks in the offensive 1/3 and you're not sending anyone into the box? You don't have to bring the backs forward but at least make an attempt on goal to put the damn game away. Every time someone goes into the corner, all that typically happens is that you give up a goal kick or a throw. In either case, you give the ball back and kill very little time. Spread the field and move the ball around. Force them to chase you...not go into a 1 yd x 1 yd space only to turn it over every time.

They have what every great team has, regardless of the sport. They just find that extra gear to out-play their opponent. It's truly impressive to watch. it doesn't matter who comes on the field. They'll give every last ounce of blood and sweat to make sure they win. With the effort these women give, I'm not sure it matters who they play in the final. They were told before this tournament that they weren't going to win this time...that the rest of the world has caught up to them. Boy, were they wrong. I love this team. They're truly a joy to watch. I no longer watch to see who the most attractive is (Christen Press). I'm watching because this is truly enjoyable soccer to watch.

#109 leroy, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    DreamShook and Pipe like this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So the Dutch it is. They're a tough team but I feel pretty confident that we're just the better over all team.

Sunday at 10 am.

desihooper likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the penalty kick call was correct. She doesnt whiff a wide open without that contact. Incidental or not.

12. Beavis Stiffler

The only chance the Dutch women can win is IF the USA beat themselves with some mistakes in either the midfield or defense backline which I highly doubt will happen.

Other than that, this is going to be a coronation just like 4 years ago when they destroyed Japan.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What do you guys think about this VAR system of review? Do you guys think it should put it in the men's game?

@leroy

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

To bad. Was hoping we could hold out a bit longer.

16. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

USA USA USA!!!

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is over. The USA woman are just faster, stronger and just plain better.

Congrats to the USA fans.

desihooper and leroy like this.
  18. likestohypeguy

Boom. Maybe now they'll get the respect they deserve- don't schedule other sporting or nonsporting events on days they play. And should be dead air on every television channel they're not being broadcast on.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rose Lavelle is 24 looks 15.

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Wow, that Dutch sub looked...uhhh strange. Announcer even called her a him!