1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Arauz (2-run, 1) and Sierra (solo, 2) hit back-to-back homers in the 5th inning of today's contest for the Woodpeckers.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Is Kyle Tucker rooming with AJ Reed???
    What has happened to him in such a short period of time. He Showed well in spring training.

3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Small sample low BABIP. He’s fine.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

De La Cruz also homered. Good signs for all 3. Sierra sure has shown big power at times (11 HR in only 144 rookie league PA in 2016), and that combined with his defensive skills means he just needs to get his k rate to a reasonable level to profile as future big leaguer.

5. Screaming Fist

Tucker's swinging strike rate is up big time from last year in AAA. I watched a couple of his PA yesterday and he took some awful swings and looked really frustrated. Not sure what is going on with him.

Joe Joe likes this.
  6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to the experts, he has a horrible attitude and he could care less about playing baseball. He walks around with his head hanging low and has absolutely zero energy, if only he cared more and would drink a few more energy drinks, he would then satisfy the masses.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have read that a few times on this board. Are there any links to this sort of report?

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am sure an expert can provide a link. It has surely been stated on this forum on several occasions. I am not an expert, therefore I am not the link.

DoitDickau likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Mostly I have read and heard that he lacks energy and some have questioned whether or not he really wants to play baseball. He has been called stoic and lacks fire. I don't think anyone thinks he is a punk or skips out on practice.

There have been some reports. There was an article last year where it was discussed. A lot of it is discussed indirectly.

For example:
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ed-talk-muted-Astros-just-want-a-13625804.php

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros...e-Tucker-to-minor-league-camp-to-13683206.php

I was surprised that there was debate over his fire or desire. It is body language and personality. If he becomes a good big league player it will all be forgotten. If he fails it will be pointed out as part of the reason why he failed.

I had someone that works for the Astros tell me that there are people in the coaching and front office that are worried about how he carries himself.

No one seems to think he is a bad kid, just very passive and rubs some the wrong way.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is my problem with make-up concerns. I'm guessing there are a lot of false positives regarding detecting make-up issues that makes the data near useable. The Ringer had an article a month or two ago that showed guys that were called "questionable" in Reds scouting reports outperformed "battlers" and "competitors". Guys that were "soft" outperforned players with "focus". For the A.J. Reed fans, guys that were described as "fat" outperformed the "quick".

I'm not sure who the Astros use to make judgements on make-up, but I would not trusts scouts to make these calls especially if they use to be in the Reds organization.

That said, it would not surprise me if Tucker is sulking or pissed off at the moment. He'll either get over it or he won't. He'll either hit or he won't. Most likely, his ability to hit will determine if he can hit and not whether he's soft, weak, or a leader.

11. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

From Hinch in March 2018 in one of those articles:
    I'm going to take Hinch's word for it. I'm also not going to bother making evaluations on his daily stats until June.

MrBear1 and bigdaddy like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

AJ Reed was placed on the AAA DL, leaving Round Rock with only 10 position players on their roster.

13. prospecthugger

Peter Solomon apparently got put on the IL in Fayetteville, which is a bummer.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Express reel off 6 straight hits (all scoring) in the 1st. Fisher and Tucker with a double each, Taylor Jones with a homer. Aside from Tucker’s .424, every player in their lineup has an ops of .769 or higher.

In Corpus Osvaldo Duarte with his 2nd HR of the season. Breakout watch in effect.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Alvarez 2 for 4 with 2 rbi

texans1095 and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Wrong thread.

DoitDickau likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tyler Ivey and Brandon Bailey combined for 11 k, 1 bb, 0 r for Corpus last night.

Buck Turgidson and No Worries like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

We don't really know one way or the other.

We do know they've asked him to tweak his swing, so how much that plays into his performance so far...?

Nook likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Thru 123 PA in AAA, C Jamie Ritchie has a .439 OBP.

No Worries likes this.
  20. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

Nook, when is the earliest you could see Yordan getting a call-up?