1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The owners want to protect the brand. I never asserted that the minors made money for the teams directly. Prospects are an investment and my point was twofold: first, that it’s hard to see why owners don’t see an extra $6M/yr max as worthwhile to maximize return on their investment in prospects, and second, that owners don’t see the loss in value as a result of damage to their brands via the PR hit. Your reference to free agency is a totally separate issue but it furthers my point. Fans aren’t as quick to chastise owners not giving tens of millions to guys who are already millionaires. But it’s pretty universal that fans think paying minor leaguers <$10k/yr is reprehensible.

The owners “fighting tooth and nail on every issue” may explain their logic, but if that is indeed true, it’s a really stupid/lazy way for them to manage their business.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If owners thought additional money would maximize their ROI, they would do it. I suspect they are looking at ways to improve nutrition cost effectively (i.e., it helps them make more money).

On the PR hit, they are going to get a PR hit some place. Doing one decent deed doesn't help them (is it really even a decent deed when you stop screwing someone over as much as you did before?). People aren't going to give them much credit for such a small thing while there are other issues out there being championed by proven players fans know. Also, I don't see money to minor leaguers as a separate issue for the owners. They can "fix" a lot of issues with $6M or $500K as money spent on one thing doesn't go to other things.

The owners likely see paying minor leaguers as a concession they would give to the MLBPA in exchange for something of value. So far the MLBPA has said "these aren't our members, screw them. We will collectively bargain the draft, limits to signing bonuses for draft picks, prevent draft picks from signing MLB deals so they can't take away a job from a current member, and let an MLB team be the sole judge of whether that team is manipulating service time."

3. Buck Turgidson

Progress, we'll see what comes of it:

Major League Baseball suggested sweeping changes to the minor leagues -- including a significant increase in salaries, higher standard of living conditions and better transportation -- during an initial collective-bargaining session with the group that oversees the minors, sources familiar with the meeting told ESPN.

After years of weathering criticism and lawsuits regarding minor league pay, MLB appears ready to remedy what long has been considered substandard treatment of its future players. The meeting took place within the last month, around the same time the Toronto Blue Jays were finalizing a new wage scale for their minor league players, which was first reported by The Athletic. The working agreement between MLB and the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, which operates Minor League Baseball, expires in September 2020.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26298523/mlb-eyes-higher-salaries-minors

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At a certain point, avoiding the PR backlash has to be worth the relatively small sum. For a league that makes 10 billion dollars, it seems foolish to continue leaving yourself exposed over 50 million divided by 30 teams.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With just 30 guys left in big league camp (2 of which will go on the 60 Day DL), the minor league rosters should be pretty much set; my last guess before they’re official:

AAA:
    C: Stubbs, Ritchie
    IF: Reed, Tanielu, De Goti, Toro, Jones, Mayfield
    OF: Tucker, Straw, Fisher, Alvarez, Goetzman
    SP: Whitley, C Martin, Armenteros, Rodgers, F Valdez
    RP: Bostick, Sneed, C Perez, Emanuel, McCurry, Deetz, tbd waiver claim
    DL: Martes
    Inactive/Released: Quintana, Ferrell, Winkelman, Garza, Nunez, Feldmann

AA:
    C: Robinson, Flores, Canelon
    IF: Birk, A Sierra, Rojas, Duarte
    OF: Matijevic, Wrenn, Dawson, Julks, Benedetti, McCormick
    SP: Bukauskas, Bielak, Bailey, Ivey, Adcock, J Hernandez, Javier, Hartman
    RP: Scheetz, Pinales, McKee, N Hernandez
    Inactive/Released: LaRue, Saldana, G Valdez, Y Ramirez, C Sierra, Duncan, Blanco

High A:
    C: Papierski, Manea, R Castro
    IF: Adams, T Dawson, Arauz, M Sierra, Shaver
    OF: McKenna, Meyers, Beer, De La Cruz, LaCroix
    SP: Solomon, B Abreu, Donato, L Garcia, Mushinski, L Rodriguez, E Sandoval, Collado
    RP: Hiraldo, Paredes, Sanabria, DeJuneas
    DL: J Solis
    Inactive/Released: Rosado, H Paulino, Castellanos, House, H Martin, Serrano, Angarita

A:
    C: Salazar, Holderbach, Campos
    IF: Schreiber, L Santana, Pena, E Valdez, Dennis
    OF: Taylor, Adolph, Costes, Machado, A Pineda
    SP: Deason, Freure, Hansen, Conine, Hardy, Ruppenthal, Dubin, Moclair, Daniels, N Rodriguez
    RP: Bermudez, France
    Inactive/Released: Cabral, Figueroa, Billingsly, Henderson, Conn, J Gonzalez, Tejada, Rivera, Marquez, Encarnacion, J Pineda, Hensley, Wielansky, Mattix

Extended Spring, to be assigned to Low A:
    C: Perry, N Rodriguez, R Sanchez, J Paulino
    IF: J Perez, Cueta, Nova, Carrasco, Urdaneta, Y Ramirez, S Mendoza
    OF: W Abreu, J Ramirez, A Santana, H Martinez, R Rodriguez
    P: Schroeder, Macuare, M Ramirez, Jaquez, Robaina, Mejia’s, Bravo, Bello, Lopez, De Paula, Solano

Extended Spring, to be assigned to GCL:
    C: J Alvarez, Hurtado, Toro, G Castillo
    IF: Mascai, J Castillo, Espinosa, Murillo, J Mendoza
    OF: Pinto, A Castillo, Giron, Y Carrillo
    P: E Rodriguez, Tokar, J Lopez, Torres, Chavez, Jimenez, Bermudez, Mezquita, Medina, Garcia, Cobos

#225 Snake Diggit, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Based on Hinch’s comments and the Chron article today, I expect Deetz to start the year on the DL, and I suspect they are trying to find a taker for Reed.

7. HTown2017Champs

Does Reed even have options anymore? Since 2016 was his first year in the majors, I think 2016 may be the first, 2017 the second, and 2018 the third, but I'm not too sure about this.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, he has 1 option year remaining. My guess is they are waiting to option him because if a team trades for him he has more value if he has not yet been optioned.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm probably too cynical about these things. I typical see MLB as a collection of 30 rich guys trying to maximize World Series Odds and/or money with little regard to do what is right.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I keep looking at this lineup and think....that rotation and OF likely is better than the Orioles.

11. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I put that roster at 60 - 70 wins in the majors. It's stacked

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really do think that AAA roster would put up >18 fWAR, which would be more than the Orioles and Marlins are projected for.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think depth (negative WAR) would do it in over a season. Short series....would he tough.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Nobody thinks they actually give a f**k on an ethical level, but bad PR is something companies usually try to avoid if at all reasonable. It just seems stubborn on their part, particularly with a labor stoppage looming.

The players are gonna press this angle strong (never mind they are equally at fault). Pretty damn cheap all considered to remove that gun from play.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What struck me about this article (among other things) is the $2M value on grade 35 prospects. By this math, a package of Kit Scheetz, Carlos Sanabria, and Osvaldo Duarte would be worth $6-12M (all 3 are grade 35+ on Fangraphs). That means theoretically they could flip those 3 guys for Nick Castellanos.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the market value for free agents is based more of $/projected WAR than $/actual WAR as teams are making deals based on what they expect to happen instead of paying guys for what actually happened. The 15% difference in $/projected WAR and $/actual WAR is mostly sunk costs from teams overpaying because they have to have "X", underestimate aging, sign too long of deal, evaluated a player incorrectly, sign a player that has an unexpected severe injury, and/or are just being stupid (i.e., the Orioles signing Chris Davis to a stupid deal doesn't impact costs for most free agents today). If teams keep signing free agents other than stars to shorter deals, I expect the 15% difference will shrink significantly. As such, I'd guess the values in this article overestimate value by about 15% for prospects, though this is a small quibble as I expect the error in their values are likely greater than 15% due to unpredictable aspects of baseball.

18. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...something tells me that the GMs don't use this same theoretical math.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

OF Drew Ferguson has been designated by the Giants. Since he was a Rule 5 selection, the other teams will get a chance to pick him up (with the same Rule 5 restrictions), if they all pass, he will go back to Houston. Not sure they have room for him with Tucker, Straw, Fisher, Alvarez, and possibly Goetzman all slated for AAA.

20. Buck Turgidson

I hope he goes through waivers and we trade him back to SF (so he gets to play in AAA for them) for somebody in A-ball. He just has no place here, like you said.