1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019/2020 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Can any of the La Liga and EPL viewers describe his game? Barely watched him.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Left Winger or Attacking Mid fielder.

Likes to play left area of the field so that he can cut in and set up with his right foot which is is very good at.

Good shooter from range and free kicks.

As an attacking midfielder, he can be a little selfish.

Ultimately, he is good enough to help win the league title but, IMO, is not going to be a game changer by himself in CL. The main reason that unless you have a very talented front line with options around him, defense will crowd him and not give him a shot which is likes to take (they will close in as soon as he has the ball), and will simply try to force him to pass.

Last but not the least, he was a snake the way he left Liverpool for Barcelona and karma came to bite him and his buddy Suarez in their asses last season in CL at Anfield. That was a pleasure to watch.

Jontro, JumpMan, Yung-T and 1 other person like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Glut on wingers could work in the league but in CL I do not see it as there is nobody really outstanding, Perisic could win a game by himself based on his veteran experience.

Coman scores but is not there yet on the biggest stages IMO.

It would be cool to watch Sancho, Reus and Brandt vs all your wingers. Jadon is gonna be a superstar.

(Lewan vs Paco Alcacer)

#123 daywalker02, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Another round of games in the champions league quailfers tonight.

I'll watch some Dinamo Zagreb vs Ferencvaros, i wanna see Olmo playing with all this hype around him.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, he scored the third goal. I just watched a highlight video for him. I now desperately want Bayern to sign him...

Yung-T likes this.
  6. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

And had a wonderful assist for the first one. Here's his goal

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

He looked good, following some of the news I was sure he would be a Bayern player by the end of the summer but with all the incompetencey going on who knows?.

A bit surprising that no big name Spanish team is after him.

On a side note, anyone here watched Brugge game?, it was heart attack level crazy.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Defended Brazzo at first, but with all the inside info we should really end this farce.

Abysmal behaviour and messing up the relationship with agents&players (SportBILD):

"Der FC Bayern braucht dringend weitere Spieler, um in der neuen Saison um drei Titel mitspielen zu können. Hauptverantwortlich dafür ist der Sportdirektor. Hasan Salihamidzic gibt auf dem Transfermarkt aber nicht die beste Figur ab.

Noch immer wartet man beim FC Bayern auf den großen Star-Transfer für die Offensive. Die Verpflichtung von Leroy Sané liegt wegen dessen Kreuzbandverletzung auf Eis – mit Hakim Ziyech ist eine weitere interessante Option seit Freitag vom Markt. Der Marokkaner verlängerte bei Ajax Amsterdam.

Hasan Salihamidzic hätte das durchaus verhindern können. Der Bayern-Sportdirektor traf sich laut ‚Sport Bild‘ bereits Anfang des Jahres mit Ziyechs Berater Mustapha Nakhli, um sein Interesse zu hinterlegen. Anschließend ließ Brazzo aber nicht mehr viel von sich hören und war nur schwer erreichbar.

Im Anschluss an die Sané-Diagnose und kurz vor Ziyechs Verlängerung meldete sich Nakhli nochmal bei Salihamidzic. Doch der Bosnier reagierte nicht und ließ sich den Schnäppchen-Transfer durch die Lappen gehen (30 bis 35 Millionen Euro). Ziyech selbst bezog bereits vorgestern Stellung zur Bayern-Farce.

Auch bei anderen Spielern verfährt Salihamidzic laut ‚Sport Bild‘ nach der fragwürden Taktik, zunächst Interesse zu signalisieren und sich dann nicht mehr zu melden. Steven Bergwijn (PSV Eindhoven) könnte wie Ziyech schon zeitnah bei seinem Klub verlängern.

Timo Werners Berater Karl-Heinz Förster sei unterdessen durchaus irritiert, dass sich die Bayern schon lange nicht mehr gemeldet haben, heißt es bei ‚Bild‘. Dem Vernehmen nach bevorzugen die Bayern einen ablösefreien Transfer des Leipzigers im Sommer 2020.

Und dann ist da noch der Fall Marc Roca. Mit dem Sechser von Espanyol Barcelona sollen die Bayern seit Wochen einig sein, es gab extra ein Geheimtreffen in Paris. Doch die festgeschriebene Ablöse in Höhe von 40 Millionen Euro schreckt ab – obwohl man den Preis bereits vor den Gesprächen mit der Spielerseite kannte."

TL;DR for English brehs: Salihamidzic is apparently often initiating contact with agents+players and saying Bayern is interested, but then suddenly stops negotiating further and replying to the agents, which leaves them very confused and angered.

In the case of Roca, Bayern successfully negotiated a contract with him and always knew about the 40mil buyout clause, but now is putting a halt on the transfer because they think the 40mil clause is too high. So why approach the guy in the first place and convince him of signing?

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ajax in negotiations with Zagreb for Olmo, heh.
    We really murdering this transfer period.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What did you see from Olmo? thx.

11. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

From the game I saw yesterday and some highlight clips.
    The first thing is his ability to convert talent to numbers(1 great assist and 1 goal), in my opinion it's the most important thing for players in his position.

Good speed, good ball control ,dribble and I would say that if the first assist is no fluke than great court vision.
    He looks like a great modern day winger who can play any postion in the attacking midfield?(i'm not sure)
    Also liked seeing him always trying to push the ball forward, looks like a very effective player.

He gave me a feeling that I'm watching a star in the making, definitely worth checking out more games when he'll play next.

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Good to have one of our triple heroes back, only left because of stubborn Pep.
    Hoping to see a lot of Lewa+Mandzu action, would certainly help our offense to have them on the pitch together a lot.

#132 Yung-T, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

One question I have about Olmo is max acceleration and speed, and robustness. All great if you are a dribbling artist, but if (like Goetze) you are simply not quick enough to get past your man, it doesn't cut it at the top level.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

Good to see Ox back

16. Croatian Sensation

He's similar to all modern attacking midfielders of today, in that he's most comfortable in the central position as he's not the quickest player around, but his elite vision allows him to also play as a winger that drifts towards the middle. And looking at Olmo's stature and physique, I'd say that Oezil is a much closer comparison than Goetze is. He also just turned 21, he'll grow into his body.

Edit: Olmo has been called up to the Spanish national team for the upcoming friendlies, the price just keeps going up!

I hope not all, it was a disaster when Kovac was our national team head coach. A lot of our players are happy-go-lucky idiots, and he's very strong-willed, so he gets the best out of a specific kind of players, while others will rebel against him. Our team in WC 2014 was fractured in half and went out with a whimper, even though you could sometimes see the contours of a great team and Kovac's signature on it.

Everything worked out in the end because Modric took control of the whole team and led us to the silver medal last year, while our current coach Dalic took the Zen Master role and just managed the personalities. But now we have a team that plays like **** because the coach has no tactical clue and the players have no motivation because we've achieved the best result in the nation's history.

Btw, Mandzukic and Perisic are the exact type of bulldogs that Kovac would want on his team, two guys that can hound the opposition for 90 mins, and they seemed to love playing for him before.

#136 Croatian Sensation, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So Zlatko Dalic > Kovac?

18. Croatian Sensation

Nope, Dalic gave us short term success because he knew how to take the backseat to our players, and our guys were at their peak last year, 100% mentally ready (Modric was always the leader, but Rakitic stepped up in a huge way, he was our most important player in the locker room). After the WC excitement passed and the guys reverted to their easy-going mentality, all of his tactical deficiencies became painfully obvious and now we're just limping from match to match. IMO Kovac has more of a long-term approach, and we probably wouldn't achieve the same result with him last year, but we'd be much more stable and develop through the years as a powerhouse here to stay, not as a one-trick pony that we're currently looking like.

Also, based on what I just said, Kovac is more suited as a club manager than a national team manager. If you have the management's support, you can bring the players you want, work with them day-to-day, instill a warrior mentality and a defined tactical approach. With the national team, you're kinda forced to pick the best of the best, and they're usually established players that are sometimes not susceptible to a hard-nosed approach. Put Diego Simeone to lead Argentina and you'd see controversies popping up left and right with multiple players leaving the national team camp.

P.S. Kovac lost the support of the main Croatian mafioso Zdravko Mamic during his time as the national team head coach, so that also spelled disaster for him.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, but it is different to coach Eintracht Frankfurt whose goal will be a Europa league spot or Bayern whose goal is a CLeague title.

I think a top club is a too much a task for him, I see him more of a Leipzig, Hertha, Leicester City, or Wolverhampton coach than a Top 2 team coach.

20. Croatian Sensation

He should've had a few more years of managing a very good, but not top tier club (a club that gets into CL group stage regularly) before making the leap to Bayern. But if Bayern is already calling... Now it's on the management to support him in his decisions and give him a year or two to showcase what he can do. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If he rises up to the task, then great. Any other approach is doomed from the start.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.