1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019-20] Individual Player Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What should we be expecting from our players this year.
    Mainly the Complementary players
    Primarily

1. HOUSE - I am intrigued about what he will do now he has secured his contact
    2. PJ Tucker - If he is the same as last year I think I am good.
    3. Capela - Grow some Nucking Futs!!
    4. G. Clark - I want to see him get more burn.
    5. Chandler - What does he have left
    6. I still think we should resign Faried

EGO - Rivers - Green I think we know what we get there

Rocket River

2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

House, finally got paid and need to be a solid player for us.
    Tucker, keep hitting those threes and stop passing up open shots.
    Clark, best time to become part of the rotation. Truly hope he's working on this three ball.
    Westbrook, hopefully become a decent knockdown three point shooter (.350+)

Everyone else... I know what we are getting.

3. rocketseagles07

House - I’m actually expecting a lot. He came up short in the playoffs like most young guys do. I want to see him get out and run with Russ in transition we don’t get enough EASY buckets

Tucker - don’t die on the court because our FO can’t get you a solid back up

Russ - be a really good defender. There’s going to be good and bad with his offensive game. Nights where he’s UNSTOPPABLE and nights where he can’t hit anything.

He has the ability to be an all nba level defender. Less of an offensive load should help

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

House - still don't believe in his Rockets regular season 3 point shooting numbers, so I'd like to see him continue hitting those.

Capela - get confidence back. I'm still a believer, but his bleh play in the playoffs was painful.

Clark - hustle plays. I think his 3 point shooting was also unreasonably good so I won't be surprised if it dips, but I hope he worked on things like movement on defense, lateral quickness, and chasing down rebounds.

Rivers - more consistency this year. Started out hot, then awful, then had a few good games in the playoffs. Less ups and downs would be nice.

Chandler - mentorship to Capela so he doesn't shrink in the big moments again.

Hartenstein - establish himself as the 2nd string center (except when we need Tyson's experience on the court). Be a good rebounder. Hit the occasional 3.

And tho not the point of this thread, we really need Harden and Westbrook to actually give a **** on defense. Those are probably the two most "rest on defense" guys in the league, but that can no longer be the case if they're on the same team. Other guys will do the heavy lifting on defense, but these two have to be able to give some effort. If that means playing them fewer minutes then that is what we must do, even if it kills MDA.

#4 Haymitch, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wasn't Harty injured?

Rocket River

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Your Capela comment is so disrespectful to the dude. You’re not alone with this sentiment but I think it’s getting out of hand. So the dude who got the better of Gobert twice and Kat in the the past 2 playoffs has no nuts? When a player is that young and he can’t seem to do something against the Warriors that he’s been able to do against pretty much every other team, it’s on the coaching staff. We used to have a lot of resources for big man coaching. Times have changed.

Speaking of the coaching staff that brings me to Faried. I also really want him back. And he’s obviously not coming back. Which confuses me. Clearly D’Antoni is not high on him. But Morey is clearly not completely sold on D’Antoni. Obviously he still trusts him but not enough for an extension. So it would seem he’s in agreement with MDA about Faried, otherwise he would have explored bringing him back.

Extra: Remember when we were all b*tching last season about how if we’re lucky we’d be able to retain 2 of Rivers Faried or House, but most likely have to decide on one? Haha. Its clear now all three could have been brought back. Anyone can look foolish looking back on here.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is he injured now? I didn't know that.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He was injured in Summer league. He looked like he has recovered since he was participating in those LA mini camp videos.

9. atam

atam Member

Harden - Play off the ball more to become more of a threat of as a catch/shoot player
    Russ - Try to get the 3 point percentage to 32-35-% because teams will leave you open and get the FT% back up to high 70s/80s
    EG10 - Run the offense as the point every now and then even when Harden/Russ are on the floor
    House - Even though you’re still new, now your expectations are really high...time to shine as EG10’s co-3rd option
    Rivers - Become a premiere 1-2 lockdown defender
    Capela - Grab 15 boards a game

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

True true

To be fair .... rivers is absolutely on a sweetheart deal for us . At least in terms of money , he could have gotten much more from many other teams .

Even at the end of the season , most people still thought House would be in for a decent payday (he is getting a decent deal)

But had he not **** the bed in the playoffs (or alternatively , had a couple of breakout games) then it really might have been bye bye .

11. gotsis

gotsis Member

1. Westbrook - shoot less midrange jumpers, move more off ball and be at least a average defender;
    2. Harden - move more off ball.
    3. EGO - don't start the year in a huge shooting slump;
    4. Capela - develop a somewhat good faceup game, when the roll or alley oop isn't available;
    5. MDA - not a player, but hope he uses the bench more during the season, so he has alternatives he trusts in the playoffs;
    6. House - actually come to play at the playoffs;
    7. Gerald Green - learn how to run 3 on 1 fastbreak plays;
    8. Clark - shoot 34% from 3pts;
    9. - Rivers - be a bit more consistent;

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

All valid. I wasn’t chirping. I also thought we were going to have to miss out on at least 1 of them. Though I did believe that Faried could come back on a vet min; but I based that on the fact that he was really enjoying playing alongside Harden and this was before he fell out of favour with the coaching staff.

#12 Zoplicone, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Rocket River and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Faried's whole situation is so confusing to me

Rocket River

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Westbrook, shoot better than 35% from the 3 or it's going to be a rough year.