1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Texans schedule

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 31, 2017.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The first game of the year we did not have half of our defense on IR. That team came out and gave us a serious beat down. I am a optimistic fan as well but come on brother, the Jags are the real deal now. Last season was not a one and done season. The Division will be a dog fight between us and the Jaguars. Heck, we can not count out the Titans either.

Now lets not act like the Texans been boss hogging the NFL like that. hahahaha The poor man's version. Man we never had a team that played ultra physical like the Jaguars did last season. We never had shutdown up and your grill corners. And it's been a minute since we had a great O-Line. The Jaguars offensive line was top notch. And they added Andrew Norwell to that already solid offensive line.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, they didn't have most of their defense on IR, but they did have a QB controversy caused by BOB. Now sure, the team will have to overcome BOB being terrible at his job going forward as well, but with Watson no longer being in his very first NFL game, I feel like they'll compete better.

Also, I never suggested that the Texans have been "boss hogging the NFL", but they have absolutely owned the AFC South for quite some time now and only a massive amount of injuries stopped that. Till the Jags have a halfway decent QB, I can't take them seriously as a threat to the Texans at full strength.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Blake has been horrible but as far as last season, he improved tremendously. He had a much better offensive line that allowed him to go throw his progressions. He made quick and decisive decisions. Blake threw for 3687 yards 21 Touchdowns with 13 interceptions. With the Jaguars having a very good running game, they are asking him to just manage the game. I believe dude will build off that year going forward. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over, the Jags will be a big problem for us as well as the rest of the League. But hey I get your drift. I believe if we are healthy and our line is improved ( biggest factor) we will push for that #1 spot. Bill will have to do what he always say, " I have to coach better".

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Nick. I always just thought it was bad luck of the draw. That makes more sense. Maybe those years we weren't in first were the same years we ended up playing their division, so it has just seemed like every year for like a decade now.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As for Andrew Luck, well, as prone as he is to interceptions and fumbles, he still makes me nervous in close games, simply because he is capable of slinging that ball so far and hitting a target. I will give him credit for that, and for his toughness on the field, and his ability to remain composed under pressure. He is also a good sport, and not a baby or a jerk like Brady is at times.

But, the media has always praised him too much, and I think the hype rubbed me the wrong way when he got picked number 3, and Case Keenum didn't even get drafted, even after setting NCAA records for total passing yards, touchdowns, and completions. Luck was given every opportunity since the draft to take his team to a Superbowl, but Case ended up doing it first, and only by default. Not only that, Case finished the season with a QBR Andrew has yet to match. I wish Case luck in Denver, but not when we play them. As for Andrew, I wish him good health, but hope he continues to show his ability to throw into defenders and choke up the ball.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No problem.

The NFL schedule (in regards to opponents) is actually set every year in advance, minus just 2 games (which are determined based on the previous year's finish).

The myth of the "first place" or "last place" schedule really involves a difference of 2 games. Sure, if you have to play the Pats/Steelers every year, there's a good chance you're getting screwed since they're usually pretty good.... but there's a 2/3'ds chance you'd be playing one of those two division anyways based on how the schedule is set up.

Now, the home/away set up is also determined in advance... but that has less of a formula to it. There's a website out there that will tell you where these games will be played 3 years in advance. Its supposed to even out... so even though it seems like the Texans play at Foxboro every year, it eventually will sway the other way the more these teams meet up.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Mike Clay's predictions...

Nimo likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

lol
    He must not be a fan of Gruden. That'd be crazy of the Raiders finish last in the division. Especially with the best QB in the division.