1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 17, 2018.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I knew it. Shaquem Griffin is a beast.

3. HstnSprtsFan101

I bet we draft one of Mike White or Kyle Lauletta in the 3rd or 4th. Both were impressive all week and BOB got to see them up close. Savage is a goner so we need to find a backup.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lol I'm watching the replay now. I'm sure Savage looked good in college too.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It was a mistake for Allen to play. He was outplayed by White, imo.

6. HstnSprtsFan101

Ehh he was always thought of as a project. Came out of a pro style offense and had a big arm. That's where the hype came from. He never got any better. Let his body go to **** and could never stay healthy.

7. HstnSprtsFan101

We've all seen what can happen if you develop a good young back up. A 2nd for Jimmy G. Bengals almost got a 2nd for AJ freakin McCarron. I have a strong feeling we'll be drafting one.

8. texian

texian Member

100%. Smith had tried to trade for him at other times.

And he made it worse by selling our 2nd round pick to quickly fix his PR problem.

Sure, a 5th and a 6th round pick... you get what you pay for.

Smith understood very clearly the #1 reason GMs get fired is drafting a QB in the first round that fails or making a big trade for one that fails. Rick's primary objective was not winning -- it was staying employed. That's how you accumulate the most $$$. Dude is not dumb, people don't understand this.

Except Kevin Johnson and Will Fuller.

Never a mistake to compete. Allen will be drafted top 10 easily.

raining threes likes this.
  9. showa13

showa13 Member

Rick was and is a very smart and savvy guy as he kept his job way longer than he should’ve. I just don’t think he was very good at his job overall.

Jury is still out on Fuller, he needs a good QB to be used properly, hence he was tied with Nuk for TD catches with Deshaun at QB. Kevin Johnson has showed flashes in the past, but his injuries have gotten to his head cause he makes just a bunch of questionable decisions on the field.

csj likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lol, Fuller is not a bust

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

How could you tell? I think he spent his entire college career transferring. ;):rolleyes:

raining threes likes this.
  12. texian

texian Member

We're going to have to find a way to manufacture some OTs because the guys at the Senior Bowl were getting beat all over the place and most of the college OTs will have to move inside, imo -- like Cappa. The overall OT class looks poor as well, as is the free agent class.

Better year for interior guys, some good OC prospect depth.

13. showa13

showa13 Member

Fuller needs a competent QB to be properly utilized, unlike Nuk who is a beast no matter who’s throwing him the ball(which is why he’s a top 3 WR in the league). With Deshaun they tied for the league lead in TD catches, that’s just flat out amazing.

Fuller is not a bust tho, he’s the best WR out of the 4 that were taken in the 1st that year

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Remember that one time Bill OBrien said the offense needed to get faster? And so the Texans came out of the following offseason with Lamar, Fuller, Braxton, and Ervin.

15. texian

texian Member

Who said what???

“We knew what we needed to do to strengthen our team,” ..... “We said we wanted to get faster, and we’ve done that."

“We looked at our football team and some of the goals that we had going into the offseason,” ..... “We were able to take those guys and they spoke to the intent that we were looking for with respect with trying to get faster.”

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't need to guess.

"I think one of the things we identified while we were evaluating our team, was how can we become a little faster, a little bit more athletic in certain areas," O'Brien said during the draft.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/5...fuller-braxton-miller-speed-offensive-weapons

17. showa13

showa13 Member

I keep forgetting about Ervin, he's been super quiet since he got hurt. Hopefully he's back at 100% for the season, you can never have enough weapons

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

People are so quick to judge players. Some players take time to adjust to the NFL. People wrote off Clowney after one season. Bouye took 3 years before u saw his jump. Braxton Miller started to show in the middle of last season. Ervin could make the jump in year 3.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Bouye actually made a pretty big jump in year 2 but don't think it was as noticeable being an UDFA. And I think more people were down on Clowney due to his injuries than his actual play. As for Miller, he had 2 noticeable games this season but has been a complete no-show otherwise. I liked the pick at the time but wasn't a fan of the Ervin pick at all. Obviously I hope I'm wrong and both show out next season, or at least contribute some.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I find it hilarious that when it's Watson, Rick forced him on BOB. When it's Brock, BOB wanted him and couldnt do anything with him. We get it. BOB sucks.

texian likes this.