1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think it's going to happen. No chance FIFA allows them to play during the Cup and there technically is no FIFA window in the time between the end of the club seasons and the start of the World Cup. I can't imagine any club releasing their players to play in something like this.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Interesting read here on the US Soccer voting process and those with votes

The rest is here

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This deserves its own thread. Why is it in this thread? It's no longer QUALIFYING. USA didn't qualify. I think y'all can discuss your federation and your team in their own thread. :)

ipaman likes this.
  4. ferrari77

IDK and IDC. Just sought a thread for the post and wasn't gonna create a specific thread for it. Tell the other USA fans to create a special thread for it :cool:

5. leroy

It's my thread and I say it's relevant.

Happy to see Gulati not running for re-election. Yes, he did some great things business wise, but he shouldn't have had the overall power that he's had. He had no business also being in complete charge of the soccer side of things. They need a president that will recognize this. If it's one of the former players, they should bring in someone to manage the business side...and vice versa should they elect someone from the business/legal world.

DaDakota and ferrari77 like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He's unofficially supporting Kathy Carter (SUM President) for the position. Gulati himself was a founding member of SUM, a board member, and still heavily involved. If you think he's walking away in shame you're kidding yourself. USSF and SUM have always been power hungry and legally corrupt.

I'll never forget Gulati walking around the FIFA voting floor trying to wheel and deal for Infantino votes after NOT voting for him in round 1, voting Prince Ali instead. Then switching to Infantino in round 2 without telling Prince Ali. All of this for 2022 which likely will involve SUM for television rights. Fack him, the sneaky little weasel, and all the legal corruption. And Fack the Americans for criticizing the rest of the world but turning a blind eye to crap like SUM and the folks who run those types of organizations.

7. SwoLy-D

You do know and you DO care.
    I'm telling you because you're the one that brought up that USA voting thing up in here. :rolleyes:

CONCACAF 2018 World Cup Qualifying is OVER. This thread should have no more posts. USA didn't make it. The end. No?

You're behaving like the USA fans, trying to stir up more stuff in here about the USA sucking, when it's over... if anything, you're jusdt reminding them how the USA isn't going to the World Cup, @ipaman and @ferrari77 ...

8. leroy

Run down of the candidates as of now (ordered by my opinion of most to least likely)

Kathy Carter - likely favorite assuming Gulati throws his support behind her. Has the business experience and a former player, too...but, as @ipaman said, she's too tied to the status quo. Not sure anything would change. She does not yet have the nominations needed and I have not seen anything from her that's a plan for making changes to the technical side.

Carlos Cordiero - long time right hand to Gulati has been trying to distance himself from the current prez. Not sure it's enough. Wants to establish a technical committee that will have the final word on coaches and all technical matters...led by a "national technical director" that would be hired for the first time. He does not have a playing background. He wants to host in '26 and the WWC in '27.

Steve Gans - lawyer with long ties to the game via business aspects with youth and professional teams, along with being a former player (played in the MISL), His platform is that he'll leave the business side mostly unchanged and work to tackle pay-to-play and the issues with equality for the USWNT.

Eric Wynalda - USMNT legend, current amateur coach and Fox Sports broadcaster. BIG advocate of promotion/relegation. Wants to move the MLS calendar in line with that of Europe (bad idea...Canadian teams would have to build domes). Lacks the business experience and would likely have to hire a CEO for the business side. IMO, this is the Trump-like candidate. The one you elect if you want to blow everything up.

Kyle Martino - former MLS and USMNT player and current broadcaster for NBC. Wants to make the position a pad position and to make the federation more transparent. Plans to make the game more accessible for kids from economically disadvantaged areas. Also wants to set up national training centers around the country that would be free of charge to players while creating an advisory board to select national team coaches and technical directors. Doesn't have the same name recognition as Wynalda and it remains to be seen if he can establish a relationship in time with the voters that are anti-establishment.

Mike Winograd - Who? A corporate attorney who played professionally in Israel. He's also coached at the youth and college levels. Similar platform to that of Martino while adding that he wants to tackle the costs affecting coaching education and youth soccer (definitely agree with the coaching part...licensing can get very expensive if you don't have the backing of a club). Wants to look for an incremental approach to promotion/relegation instead of just jumping in with both feet (as Wynalda would look to do).

Paul Caligiuri - the USMNT legend that is the face of US Soccer's modern era with his goal that qualified us for the 1990 World Cup. Hasn't really said much on what his plans are. He does have experience within the inner workings of the federation, having served on the USSF Athletes Council and on the USSF Board of Directors. He allegedly has a plan for the USMNT to win in '22. He'd hire a qualified CEO to run the business side.

Paul Lapointe - Long history of playing in various indoor and outdoor leagues and has worked in the youth and amateur levels. He's previously owned car dealerships and tire stores. He wants to start promotion/relegation in every level below the MLS...and evaluating it to see about future implementation. Wants to start a Women's US Open Cup (I didn't realize this wasn't already a thing). Almost 0 chance of winning.

ferrari77 likes this.
  9. ferrari77

You're right...I do know why I posted that in here. Because it's the thread in which the topic was being discussed.
    Do I care as to whether or not it deserves it's own thread? Nope.

Hope you were having a laugh when you wrote that I was trying to stir up more stuff. If you seriously thought that then you're just trolling.

To my knowledge, you aren't CLUTCH. You aren't a moderator. If you feel this thread should have no more posts then take that up with Leroy or Clutch. It's Leroys thread and Clutch's forum. They'll do with it as they deem fit.

Hope that helped!

leroy likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

No, they don't do as they deem fit. Only CLUTCH does. But, still, LeRoy has no power to do anything in this thread. Maybe he can only suggest... but besides that, OK, we can continue to discuss other crap NOT "2018 CONCACAF WOrld Cup Qualifying" in this thread. What do you want to talk about now... my favorite color? :p

Anyway:

México
    Costa Rica
    Panamá

:cool:

@Castor27 or @Clutch, there's no more need for this thread, in my opinion. 2018 World Cup Qualifying is over, and other topics should be discussed outside this thread.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Gulati, the scumbag, waited until today (this afternoon) to withdraw from USSF. Until he withdrew, that meant none of his nominators could officially support another candidate which has now only left a few days before votes are cast. Dude is a corrupt scumbag.

12. leroy

And add Hope Solo to the list of candidates. I'm not sure who was whispering in her ear...but they were wrong. I couldn't think of a worse face to put on US Soccer than someone who was relatively recently arrested for domestic violence...not to mention all of the myriad of other issues she's had while representing the US National Team.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rebuilding and fostering talents takes a lot of time. Might not make every WC. US will get back on track again.

14. leroy

Well, with it going to 48, there will be even less of an excuse than there is now...and there really isn't one now.