1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018] Apple Event: September 12

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You can get Qi charging pads from Ikea for as low as $12.99 and a triple pad for $59.99. If Apple has engineering issues on wireless charging accessories, that's just sad... they spend $12 billion per year on R&D.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They are not doing what Apple is attempting. Those are DUMB pads. Apple was making a charging pad that interacted with phone, Airpods and AppleWatch. Those ikea pads cant charge AppleWatch or AirPods. Plus there was a software component that commucated with each device.

3. Svpernaut

Because Apple has chosen to try and use proprietary technology rather than the industry standard, so they can charge their customers $149 for a charging pad... sound familiar? There have been "smart" charging pads around for several years, and most are in the $25.00-50.00 range. Again, this is just another case of Apple milking their customers for every last penny, while not actually giving them anything new or revolutionary.

arkoe likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Apple is tweaking the Standard. There no charging pad that will charge watches and a new version of Airpods at the same time as a phone. Not one. All other solutions use a devices charging cable. Apple is trying to have a mat where u place the devive ANYWHERE on the pad and it fast charges. There is no QI pad that will charge 3 different type of devices at the same time. Hence...had to tweak the standard to try to get it working.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just stop. At this point you’re either an Apple customer or you’re not. If it’s not for you, then why the hell are you so worried about what other people choose to spend thier money on?

Deuce and Sajan like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Correct.

These Android fans need to thank Apple for pushing Android phone makers to catch up and features and improve quality.

Sajan likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's a two way street.

Apple for a while was lagging behind in screen tech and size. Android manufacturers pushed Apple to put higher resolution larger panels and also jumped to oled when Samsung and other Android manufacturers have been doing it for years.

The same can be said on the software side. Apple has been lagging behind in the notification department and realized this and made some improvements recently that mimick Android. Same things with major apps like Maps.

Apple is leading in mobile SOC fabrication. Their A12 chip is by far the best mobile CPU and the first realeased mobile CPU using the 7nm node manfucaturing procces.

There are really no winners or losers here. Both Apple and Android manufacturers are pushing each other .

#67 fchowd0311, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    superfob and Sajan like this.
  8. Svpernaut

I'm not an Android fan, I'm a fan of technology and this is a thread specifically discussing Apple's event - God forbid some people voice their displeasure with Apple's lackluster technology iterations and decisions. Your blind allegiance is far more ridiculous than my completely valid criticisms.

Apple could be the Tesla of mobile, but instead they decided to be the Rolls Royce of Mobile... if you're a fan of technology, and most specifically the evolution of technology, you should be unhappy with their pace of iteration. If you don't care that they put money over innovation, that's your right, but I have my right to see it the other way too.

No on doubts their hardware capabilities, the main criticisms comes from their lack of any real innovation other than bigger, thinner, faster, brighter. How anyone could defend their choice to not fully adopt USB-C and open standard wireless is baffling to me.

#68 Svpernaut, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

Brother..give it up.
    No one cares. People like iPhones. People who buy iphones don't know or care about USB-C. Whatever changes apple makes, people will buy into it. Take away the headphone jack, sure a few people complained...then they go buy the iphone. remove all ports from the macbook..ok i guess i will carry dongles now.
    You are not going to change people and make them go buy an android phone. IT'S CALLED A CHOICE. stop preaching about android and innovation like it's some religion. geez.

[​IMG]

P.S. I am super annoyed that they removed the Flip camera option during facetime calls to a different menu.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Like I said, the argument is boorish. I've been in IT for 20 years and had or heard the 'System X vs System Y' argument, ad nauseam, a thousand times. Most plebeians just want a simple system that works. They want binary choices. They don't want the car that only the mechanic can drive. I'm the old seasoned mechanic now and I just want to jump in my car and drive, like the rest of the sheeple.

Sajan likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Precisely.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

So while the iPhone X had a 2716 mAh capacity battery, the iPhone XS drops this to 2,658 mAh.

iPhone XS Max, whose battery TENAA reveals is a significantly larger 3,174 mAh.

Apple’s filing with TENAA for the iPhone XR reveals it has a 2,942 mAh battery. That’s 9% larger in a phone with a display that’s just 5% bigger. And predictably, the iPhone XR’s battery life beats the iPhone XS hands-down. Not bad for a device which costs $250 less.

13. fchowd0311

Ehh... A 720p display that costs over 700 dollars is pretty asinine in 2018.

And yes it does make a difference, maybe not when displays were less than 5in, but a 6in, it definitely is noticeable.

Sajan likes this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....it is a LCD screen. It uses less power than an OLED. That's why it has better battery life. Also, the resolution is much lower.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/20/iphone-xs-guide-airpower-reference/

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

First time I am hearing OLED uses more power...

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Hmm...:confused:

18. Svpernaut

That's just ridiculous... end all critique because it is popular? That's not how life, or healthy dialogue works. I've owned many Apple products, and I am sure I will own more in the future. Just because people buy their products doesn't mean all of their products are perfect, or that they couldn't and shouldn't do better. I have zero issue bashing any technology provider when they deliver sub-par products or services. Technology is what I do for living... this just happens to be a thread about Apple.

Customers not demanding more is why we have subpar technology providers in the first place.

The OLED is using more power because of it's far superior resolution and pixel density.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Anyone know where I can get somewhat discounted iPhone X for AT&T?

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Just because you know technology doesn't mean the average customer does. Most iphone users just want a phone that works and does the basics like texting and social media. They don't give a flying fk whether it's 329ppi or usb c or 2900mah battery.
    That's why apple is able to get away with the idiotic terms like "liquid retina".

Don't confuse the needs of the power user to your core customer base. That's why software programmers who design gui fail. They can't think like the average joe.