1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 All-Stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jun 24, 2018.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Verlander
    Cole
    Morton
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Springer

Correa is on the bubble

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised if Hinch took one of his non-closer relievers with an ERA under 2, e.g. Devo, Rondon or McHugh. Heck even Peacock is a arguable.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No way Bregman is a given. Ramirez from Cleveland should start. Escobar from the Twins is having a good season and he may be their only representative. Bregman's DWAR (on the ESPN stats) is 29th among all AL 3rd basemen. He has done nothing this year to distinguish himself as an all star.

kaleidosky and Astrofan59 like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Correa and Bregman have 2 guys clearly in front of them. Springer is also likely on the outside looking in right now.

Verlander and Altuve are both locks, and Cole still has a strong shot. Stassi is still leading in fWAR among catchers, but I think he is unlikely to go if selections were made right now.

The Astros probably have like 11 players (the 7 mentioned, plus Morton, McHugh, Devo and Rondon) that should get legitimate consideration for the ASG, but right now only 3 that should/will actually go.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep.
    After 6 last year I think people are going to be surprised when it's only 3 this year.
    Altuve
    JV
    Cole

That's it. None of the bullpen guys are remotely plausible. Morton has fallen off just enough, that with a combination of lack of track record, lack of being a big name, and necessity to get every team an all star I think he misses the cut.
    Bregman and Springer are not the most deserving at their spots (top 2 for 3b or top 6 for OF) and Correa is arguably somewhere between the 2nd and 6th best SS in the AL this year- that position is just an absolute blood bath.

I don't think 32 roster spots is enough with every team having an all star. Also, depending upon when guys pitch, that could make Cole or Morton more likely to be an all star if there are a bunch of guys that pitch Sunday before the break and thus aren't eligible to play in the game. They get named and attend but aren't on the roster- correct?

Also, AJ has very little say in the roster now that players select backups and the commissioners office is involved as well. How many roster spots does AJ even get to pick now?

7. Buck Turgidson

Correct, same with injured guys. Last year there were 38 AL All-Stars.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Any idea how many of those spots AJ actually gets to fill? I thought it was down to only a couple of players on the individual roster that the skipper has any right to pick, and usually rules like every team gets an all star basically make the decision for him.

Put another way- it's a long way from how it used to be when blatant homerism by the manager would be part of the spoils of winning the league the previous year.

If AJ was given free hand to pick everyone other than the starters I think, with a straight face, he could pick
    (Not Altuve- he's a starter)

JV
    Cole
    Morton
    Devo/McHugh/Peacock/Rondon (1 of those guys- it's homerism but the numbers are pretty good and the Astros are both defending champs and probably in first place in the AL at the time of the selection, along with a top 3 in the majors bullpen)
    Bregman
    Correa
    Springer

So- that'd be 7 all stars. I think back in the day that would have happened. I know that's how Tony LaRussa would have done it (my goodness I hated that d-bag- still do I suppose)

9. Buck Turgidson

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Who are the likely backup catchers for the AL all-star team?

11. conquistador#11

correa needs to get hot for 8 games and he will back to .290ish.

I will also like to add Yuli, Hinch, Morton, LMcJr, Devo

no bias.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was just looking at it from a simple fantasy baseball perspective. 3b in the AL isn't as deep and I figured Rosario would make it from the Twins. I don't consider Bregman's season all star worthy though.

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

14. Buck Turgidson

After Ramos, I'd take Gomes and Perez, but I'm sure Sanchez will be there.

If Stassi had played a bit more you could sure make a better case for him.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Verlander and Altuve are clearly locks.

Cole should be in. Really see Devenski as a should be as well.

McHugh should be in the conversation. McHugh's big problem is he hasn't really been used in high leverage situations this year. Treinen and Chapman are the only reliever locks, though I'd expect Kimbrel as well. Morton is in the conversation to, but I don't see it happening for him unless he throws up 2 great starts going into the break.

Bregman is close, but because of the stacked SS position, I think he should be left out, but maybe he'll end up as the player's selection.

I think Correa is in, but closer to 50-50. Lindor & Machado are locks, but they could go 4 deep and Simmons, Segura, Correa, & Boegarts are the 4 competing for those 2 spots (and I think Correa takes it by name). A far cry from the dumpster fire AL SS was in 2015.

Springer should have a good shot as there are only 4 OFs clearly ahead of him.

1B & C are so terrible in AL, that Stassi & Yuli have arguments, but neither will happen.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Bregman isn't close to a lock, but he is having a pretty good season overall. He is on pace for a 5+ WAR, he is on pace for nearly 50 doubles, 20+ homers, over 100 walks and more walks than strikeouts. Defensively he has been mediocre (but I never thought he was great there).

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Devo and McHugh are both top 5 in reliever WHIP and ERA, while posting very nice K rates. I think they're on the outside looking in (waiting for injuries to open up extra spots), but they are certainly plausible.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What have the others done with that extra playing time? Ramos has a bunch more hits with little power. Perez throws out a bunch of runners. Besides that, the extra playing time the others have has been mostly devoted to turning strikes into balls behind the plate and hitting into outs when batting.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pretty sure Chris Devenski was an all-star last year, so I don't see how he wouldn't be plausible for last year.

Devenski & McHugh are #2 & 3 in WHIP among AL relievers. They are #2 & 4 in ERA.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think 6 relievers get picked outright.

Treinen, Chapman, Kimbrel and Diaz are solidly in right now. Who are the other guys that you would clearly select ahead of McHugh, Devo and Rondon? Removing the guys I mentioned as already going, those 3 would rank 1st, 2nd and 4th in reliever ERA right now.

McHugh has been low leverage, and Rondon's WHIP is a little high, but It's difficult to make a case against Devo going unless you believe only closers should be selected.