1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

new year new devices? I'm rocking the pixel XL 128gb and just got my daydream VR today paired up with my zenwatch 2.

Phone has been a huge step up from my Nexus 6, thats for dang sure. It's been so smooth, stable and responsive and I've rarely had an issue with it that it's almost become boring to have since i'm not tinkering with it. Battery life has been impressive though with my type of use, I still barely make it to the end of the day. (lots of gaming) but the improvement in battery life from the 6 to the 6p and now to the Pixel is definitely noticeable. I border 5-6 hours of screen on time running stock in comparison to my 6 (3-4) and the 6P (4-5).

Camera is a solid performer. I can take pictures of the kids in action but mostly if there is good lighting, the blur is much reduced from the 6 and 6P. It's quick to activate and snap a shot, but i have to say it's still not good enough for me to leave my RX100 behind.

Cons:

Bluetooth profiles with a smartwatch connected causes issues with phone and media controls with headsets. I had to use an app called Bluetooth Autoconnect to remedy that issue.

Phone goes into DND mode randomly but I think it's related to the smartwatch.

I haven't had any of the issues with locking up, or random reboots that have been reported on the internet so I consider myself lucky.

OK Google voice command isn't as consistent from screen off as the 6 or the 6P. I think it has something to do with my watch as sometimes I'll look down at my watch and it'll have activated on my watch instead of my phone.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have the regular pixel. Big jump from Nexus 5 but I wish it had wireless charging.

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Have you seen this?

Would be annoying that your port would be occupied and if you took it off you'd have the USB connector just dangling there. Not sure what kind of issues you'd run into trying to use a case on it.

4. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Still rocking my Nexus 6P. Debating if I should get the Pixel, Pixel XL, GS7 or make the switch from Verizon and get a OnePlus 3T.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wish I had got an S7. It has a very good camera. Most of these phones camera's are not good.

6. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I've got an S7 and love it so far. Took advantage of the T-Mobile Black Friday deal where me and the wife trated in our respective phones and I got my phone for $100 and she got her S7 for free.

On top of that, we unexpectedly got trade in values for our phones (I got $50 for the S5 and she got $100 for her S6) applied to our December bill. I called customer service to make sure this was correct and that I would still get our S7 for the Black Friday deal and they confirmed everything was as discussed, along with the surprise bill credit.

Furthermore, we also each got a Samsung VR for "purchasing" a S7. Got it in the mail before XMas, it's whatevs but free is free!

Hoping my S7 can survive over 2 years. My S5 survived about 2.5 years before everything began bogging down and falling apart (charging port wouldn't charge)

So far, highly recommend the S7

ramotadab likes this.
  7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Waiting on the Note 8

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Spotted the terrorist.

dmoneybangbang and BiGGieStuFF like this.
  9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

*takes suicide pill*

11. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Just got the OnePlus 3T! Loving it so far. If anyone is looking for a Nexus 6P, I have mine for sale.

It's the 32GB version in black. Screen is flawless but there is a slight dent when I just had to have it out the case for some reason. Includes original charger, box and a Spigen case. Will let go for $300. Thanks!

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

What's your thoughts on it compared to the 6P since it's my current device. Main concern is the camera, since that was one of major reasons to keep the 6P after I returned my LeEco phone 2 months ago

Did you upgrade it to Nougat yet? Still debating on pulling the trigger for the 64GB or just wait till the 128GB go back in stock

13. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I'm liking it a lot so far. The camera is pretty similar to the 6P though. It wasn't really a necessary upgrade in my opinion, I just wanted something new basically. I have not upgraded to Nougat yet. There's an easy way to force it, but I'm fine waiting. 64GB is PLENTY for me, and I really wanted the Soft Gold color so I scooped it up as soon as it went on sale.

Dave2000 likes this.
  14. Dave2000

got a few options

ordered S7 yesterday, Best Buy had a deal for a "Geek Squad" Certified 32GB for $310, hasn't shipped yet, if it doesn't, I won't be all that mad since I'm still not a fan of their TouchWiz skin and going back to Micro USB after having all of these Type-C accessories I got for my current 6P, if I do end up receiving it, I may just resell it on Swappa and least break even if I don't like it

OnePlus 3T is ready to ship now but only has 64GB, and for $40 more to boost to 128GB, but out of stock at the moment

There is this sale for ZTE Axon 7 for $350 over at New Egg

Or just replace my battery on my 6P for $40 and wait till the next crop of flagships starting with the S8

thoughts?

15. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Go with the Axon 7, for the sake of trying something new. I am glad more and more of the Chinese manufacturers have set their eyes upon America. Only the customer wins in the end.

16. opticon

opticon Member

I would wait. I have a 6p that I use for work and it is still holding its own.

I think I am going to get what ever Samsung decideds to call the next note.

I get my hands on alot of smart phones because of work and to me the Note line is the best.

I am interested to see what Samsung officially says was the problem for the battery issue with the Note 7.

Besides the battery problem the note 7 was on of the best phones I had ever used.

All that to say wait.

17. Dave2000

I'm leaning towards waiting if I don't like the S7

The weird thing about the Axon 7, I was one of the lucky ones to get it when Amazon had it for $300 back in Sep, I actually received it but sent it right back after the Pixel announcement. But after can't seeing myself shell that much for a phone with so many alternatives that is $200-300 cheaper. Plus, I did look at a demo of an Axon 7 at the Best Buy near my work, and wasn't that impress. The camera just didn't do it for me after using the 6P for so long. I was just making it an option again because of it's compatibility with Google Daydream, and just love the front facing speakers.

If I do upgrading, I really like what the OnePlus brings to the table, 128GB, same processor as Pixel, and getting the closest thing to stock Android.

I gave Chinese manufacturer a chance with the LeEco and it just didn't do it for me. Too skinned out with it's launcher and had issues AFTER I downloaded the first update, not a good sign, so I returned it before the 15 days was up.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[Recommendation Request]

Looking for:
    Mid tier phone.

Needs:
    Good camera.
    At least 32GB storage, if no micro SD slot
    At least 3GB RAM.
    Strong but not obscenely large case
    No (or very little) bloatware; stock Android preferred.

Wants but not a deal-killer:
    Finger print scanner
    USB Type C
    Big-ish screen

Not a bad thing but not important enough to pay extra for:
    Screen resolution
    NFC
    Wireless charging
    Brand
    Good speakers

So with all the above in mind, and after a grueling 3-4 minutes of Googling, it seems like the Moto G4 Plus would be a good choice. However I haven't done anymore than look at some specs and headlines since my wife's phone broke (Zenfone 2). If the G4 Plus were like $220 I'd feel better about pulling the trigger. Also I don't even know how new or old this is, or if a new model and/or price drop will be coming in the near future.

So given what I've provided above, can y'all guide me on this? It's for my wife, and will be used mainly for taking pictures / vids of the kid and her playing whatever dumb Facebook game she plays. (Most important thing is the camera though - and yes I realize that the best cameras only come in top of the line phones, which are not an option.)

Pls advise.

#18 Haymitch, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member