1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Point Guard Carousel - Who do you think will be the best?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JayZ750, May 16, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's crazy in a league a stacked at PG as ever, this draft class looks to be REALLY REALLY strong at point.

Potential top 10 draft picks at PG:
    - Markelle Fultz
    - Lonzo Ball
    - De'Aaron Fox
    - Dennis Smith
    - Frank Ntilikina
    - Malik Monk (listed as SG, but might have to be PG in the NBA...)

Fultz. Not that I'm going out on a limb, but I think Fultz is the real deal. He has plus plus size at point at 6'4, with a long wingspan. He can attack, he can hit threes (41%), he can rebound (more than Harden rebounded in college for example), he can dish.

Ball. I'm not sold on Ball. He'll probably prove me wrong, but I think at the next level his shot mechanics can become a real issue. He's a right handed player and shooter that starts his shot from his left hip. Which means he strangely doesn't go right a lot, or doesn't finish on his right a lot. That said, he does have excellent court vision, and great size.

Fox. I think Fox could become the best of the bunch, but it will take a while. He already has top 1% speed at the NBA level. But he doesn't have a great 3 point shot, and is super skinny.

Smith. Smith somewhat reminds me of a 6'0 version of James Harden at times. Finds teammates, but can be a ball stopper. Good muscle/bulk for his size. Great first step, can change speeds, etc. Basically pulls out all the tricks to create opportunities. Zero defensively.

What are your thoughts on this year's PG crop? Any future first team all nba'ers?

2. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Frank Mason broooo......

basketballholic likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah it's funny back in the 2011 draft where the #1 pick was a PG, 4 total lottery picks were PG's, 8 total first round picks were PG's, and arguably the best PG in the draft ended up being the 60th pick in Isaiah Thomas. (Depends on of you take IT over Irving).

To add on all the top PG's OP listed, and Frank Mason, some other names are

Kobi Simmons
    Nigel Williams-Goss
    Monte Morris
    PJ Dozier
    Edmond Sumner
    Tyler Dorsey
    Frank Jackson
    Derrick White
    Juwan Evans

A lot of potential on that list.

#3 ThatBoyNick, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Best guard --> Fultz

Best actual PG --> Fox

5. ball king23

ball king23 Member

For me the second rounds has a lot of good PGs available frank mason Nigel Williams goss Isaiah briscoe Kobi Simmons

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Edmond Sumner is interesting. To me, he basically looks like 2 year older version of D.Fox - except with a torn ACL.

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Markelle Fultz | PG/SG | 6’4” 195 | Washington | Freshman | 19
    • #1 Overall Prospect / #1 PG
    • Special offensive talent who’s a smooth/elite shot-creator; Can score/shoot from all 3 levels; Great size for PG position/high-level athleticism; Has defensive upside at either guard spot with size/nose for ball; Star mentality/poise
    • Could get to the stripe more (and improve %s); Defensive effort wavers; Learning to run a team; Team went 9-22 in Freshman season
    Markelle Fultz is the best player in this draft. He's going to be an All-Star at the very least, and perhaps a Superstar if things go right. He has the innate knack of getting (and making) shots whenever he wants and from wherever he wants (he can score from all 3 levels). It's going to be interesting to see how he develops on Boston, sharing time (and the ball) with Thomas and other established guards. On a worse/younger squad, he had 20/5/5 potential right off the bat.

Dennis Smith Jr. | PG | 6’2” 195 | NC State | Freshman | 19
    • #3 Overall Prospect / #2 PG
    • Elite explosiveness, both laterally and vertically; Strong frame that absorbs contact; Elite handle and creating ability; Natural poise and court-vision; Developing shooter with good form and range on J; Gets to the line/rim with ease
    • Coming off ACL tear in last year of HS; Average size due to (reportedly) short wingspan - this hinders defensive upside; Inconsistent production/focus from game to game; Team underachieved relative to preseason expectations
    Smith is the most underrated/over-nitpicked player in this class. After Fultz, he has the most Superstar upside to me. NC State was a mess, and that caused a lot of his issues -- yet he still showed tons of upside He's going to be a P&R stud with his ability to get wherever he wants and finish (even better than Fultz), and his J is underrated considering he had to shoot off the dribble most of the time. Hopefully he doesn't end up in another unstable situation (Sacramento?).

De’Aaron Fox | PG | 6’4” 170 | Kentucky | Freshman | 19
    • #5 Overall Prospect / #3 PG
    • Speedy/athletic PG with height who excels in transition; Pesky defender with high-level upside on D; Great motor and competitiveness; Strong creator with P&R potential; Gets by defenders with ease when in attack mode; Form on J is solid
    • Very poor 3pt shooter despite solid mechanics; Overall shooting consistency; Thin frame hinders finishing ability; PG instincts are still developing
    It's hard not to like Fox's game and mentality, with him being in attack-mode on both ends with ridiculous speed. But his J was awful for most of the year, which is strange considering his form is strong and he could shoot in HS. If it was a mental thing, I think he'll be very good at the least. He does need to go a team that doesn't need him to space the floor right away, so him going to Orlando to replace the non-shooter Payton would not be ideal.

Lonzo Ball | PG | 6’5” 185 | UCLA | Freshman | 19
    • #6 Overall Prospect / #4 PG
    • Big PG with transcendent passing ability/vision/poise; Not ball-dominant, excellent ball-mover; Natural floor-general with size to guard either G spot; Deep range on J/can hit off the catch or dribble; Triple-double threat
    • Lacks any bulk/struggles to finish through contact; Not much of shot-creator in the half-court; Defense is average at this point; Lateral mobility and handle is average; Low/funky form on J (low FT% are an indicator that his shooting %s may not fully translate); Off-court baggage with crazy father
    I'm not as high on Ball as most, because I think his below-average off-the-dribble and shot-creating game would be exposed on many teams. That said, I think LAL is a good spot for him, and I think he'll excel in Walton's offense (especially if Russell expands his on-ball driving game and excels as a SG). I don't think he's a superstar, but he should be a very unique floor-general who helps the development of the other young guys on LA.

Frank Ntilikina | PG | 6’5” 175 | France | International | 18
    • #10 Overall Prospect / #5 PG
    • Super young guard with size/length and PG instincts; Jumper is developing (was once considered weakness); High-level defensive upside with length; Overall growth potential
    • Still very early in development; Overall lack of visibility makes him a risk; Half-court scoring(?); Thin frame; Not the dynamic ball-handler/explosive athlete that some of the other top PGs are
    It's harder to gauge Ntilikina, with less exposure and game footage on him. I have a feeling Cuban will grab him at #9, which should be interesting. He does seem to need a few years to mature physically and in terms of polish, regardless.

Malik Monk | SG | 6’4” 185 | Kentucky | Freshman | 19
    • #12 Overall Prospect / #1 SG
    • Big time scorer who can shoot off the catch or dribble; Explosive athlete in the open floor; Go-to mentality and killer instinct; On/Off ball scoring arsenal for age
    • Size for 2-position/defensive concerns; Frame still thin; Lacks advanced handle that other microwave guys like Lou/J.Crawford had; Lacks PG instincts to slide over; Destined to be a 6th man?
    I actually like Monk for what he is, but what he is (a microwave guy without great SG size or PG skills), is not worthy of a high pick in a strong class.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Monk will be another McCollum/Beal/Lavine/Thompson type

The athletic lights out shooters who have good defensive potential in the lottery range almost always turn out to be good players. To me he's a solid choice anywhere outside of the top 2. If I were 76ers I would look into taking him at 3, he's the perfect fit for that roster if they truly are handing the PG duties to Simmons.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

James Blackmon Jr. Is an interesting PG prospect as well.

10. Fantasma Negro

awc713 likes this.
  11. Progs

Progs Member

Lavine doesn't shoot it as well as Monk, and the other 3 don't have his athleticism.

12. basketballholic

If I were the 76ers I'd take Smith, Jr. And never look back.

If he can stay healthy he could become an all time great. Don't believe the stuff about no defense. When he needs to shut a guy down they're helpless. Just an elite package of athleticism and basketball skill.

My questions about him are about his work ethic and character and health long term. If those things all check out (I don't know) then he's a greater prospect than any other pgs in this draft.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. basketballholic

Props.

Would you mind posting Dotson, Jok, Mason, Morris, Thornwell, White, Ojelay, Kuzma, Dorswy, and Lydon?

And are these charts the full season?

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Whole season and I couldn't find any of the other ones. They are from Lakernation on twitter

16. JayZ750

I saw this chart the other day.

The thing about Ball is he is a solid shooter. His form is crazy, but he finishes the shot - the releases - perfectly, and aligned.

The question will be how effectively will NBA players be able to take away his shot because of his starting point? My guess is some, but not a ton. He's going to have PGs defening him, or be getting shots in the flow of the offense.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Call me crazy, but after looking at some videos of De'Aaron Fox in HS and a few of his Kentucky highlights, he reminds me of Westbrook without the selfishness and stubbornness. I think his demolition of Lonzo Ball in March may be prescient of his NBA future.

Call me crazy, but if I were the Lakers, he would be my pick a #2.

18. JayZ750

Kind of. But as the chart shows, the dude currently can shoot. It's all about his speed and athleticism right now, which is great, but is lessened in the nba.

Lots of rumblings that Ainge is trading #1 to Philly for #3 plus a bunch more picks.

I don't get it... to me Fultz is the bar none #1 pick and can't miss guy.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like I just said in another thread, would be a great move for the Sixers if they don't give up something ridiculous.