1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2016.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Frost only stayed 2 seasons which is probably what they'd get out of Sumlin even if successful. Up and comers that hit will be rumored to leave just as much, if not more, with P5's trying to hit the jackpot. With guys like Sumlin, Strong, Kiffin, etc...teams already know what they're getting.

For UCF, get the best coach possible and try to win as much as you can before they bolt. Sucks but that's just how it is.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think Sumlin ever claimed to be a great X's & O's guy. He played defense, then coached offense. He went through a handful of high profile DC's & OC's, and each were allowed to do their thing.

Sumlin is one of the few CEO style coaches remaining. If you put the right staff around him, in the right conference, I think he can be a winner. SEC West is no joke.

3. Poloshirtbandit

Which is what UH should have done last year.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

That's the right approach to take. Find the best guy and know that he'll probably bolt after a couple of successful years in the hopes that his successes will set you up to get someone even better the next time. One of the most damaging things a G5 program can do is try to find the coach who is going to stick around for a long time. That often leads to settling.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Josh Heupel?! :eek:

6. Nook

Nook Member

UH needs to get into a major conference ASAP. That is the biggest issue they face. They have drastically improved the University, the facilities, recruiting and fund raising.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

As expected, Willie Taggart to Florida State.

tinman likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

AND Michael Jordan's logo.

9. HTR99

HTR99 Member

It isn't an issue about UH wanting in, it's whether these conferences want to allow us in. We only hear of realignment talks when it comes to these conferences seeking more money for their current members when there TV deals are set to expire. We thought it could of been last year but it was only to cover up the Baylor turmoil and get a new deal for the Big 12.

We continue to keep enhancing the school's profile but there's only 5 conferences that will extend an invite. The Big 12 doesn't want another Texas school, the Aggies would prevent the SEC from having a second Texas school in and then there's the geography excuse for the other conferences. Also, the Big Ten requires its institutions to be members of the AAU which we're currently not a member of.

I think we'll keep working towards it and need to be fully prepared when those deals start expiring in the next few years.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Actually I was WRONG. Florida partnered with Jumpman.

11. Poloshirtbandit

We've got a way to go attendance wise. I was really disappointed at the empty seats for the Tech game.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Looks like Chad Morris to Arkansas

Mike Norvell signed an extension with Memphis.

13. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think Chad Morris is a good hire. Most are focused on his tenure at SMU, which has largely been successful, but if I were an Arkansas fan, I'd be just as heartened by what he did on Dabo Swinney's staff at Clemson.

Some are down on the hire, and Tennessee fans were pretty down on him when he was starting to get mentioned more for that opening, but I think that has less to do with him and his resume and more to do with him becoming something of an avatar for a head coaching hire that's not an established P5 head coach or THE hot up and comer from the G5 ranks (like Scott Frost this year and Tom Herman last year), and for many programs, anything short of someone in those categories is an abject failure.

A_3PO likes this.
  15. gucci888

16. gucci888

As of 12/6:

New Hires:

A&M - Jimbo Fisher
    Arkansas - Chad Morris
    ASU - Herm Edwards
    Florida - Dan Mullen
    FSU - Willie Taggart
    Mississippi State - Joe Moorhead
    Nebraska - Scott Frost
    Ole Miss - Matt Luke
    Oregon State - Jonathan Smith
    Rice - Mike Bloomgren
    UCLA - Chip Kelly
    UCF - Josh Heupel

Openings:
    Oregon
    Tennessee
    SMU
    UTEP
    UL
    Georgia Southern
    Kent State
    South Alabama

On paper, Nebraska, Mississippi State, UCLA, and maybe even Rice seem like the clear cut winners. A&M obviously got their guy but I'm not completely sold on Fisher, especially at $75M guaranteed. Florida and FSU fans probably would've liked a bigger name but think Mullen and Taggart will do well, maybe the 2 most underrated hires so far. The ASU hire is pretty bizarre and Herm's opening press conference was the same, does make ASU more interesting though. Thought Ole Miss did the smart thing by keeping Luke. They weren't going to attract any big names with the sanctions and he's an Ole Miss guy that can weather the storm.

Tennessee obviously the biggest loser thus far. Never seen anything remotely like this.

17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

From most of the FSU forms I saw, they were ecstatic and wanted Taggert as coach.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Taggert should change his name. Any word with two consecutive "g's" in it sounds like a slur. And the Willie in front of it sounds bad too.

It's kind of funny to read all the commentary going around. Aside from Tennessee embarrassing themselves none of us really know anything. Sure Herm Edwards coaching ASU sounds dumb and Kelly sounds like a great hire, but who knows.

19. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I hope thats a joke, its not like his name is "*****rd" or anything like that.

Endless speculation is what the offseason is all about.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member