1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2017 NBA Media Day

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 25, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

www.nba.com/article/2017/09/19/media-day-2017-live-streaming-schedule

*Central Time

9 a.m. to 2 p.m. -- San Antonio Spurs
    9 a.m. to 11 a.m. -- Indiana Pacers
    9 a.m. to 12 p.m. -- Miami Heat
    9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. -- Washington Wizards
    10 a.m. to 12 p.m. -- Atlanta Hawks
    10 a.m. to 12 p.m. -- Brooklyn Nets
    10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. -- Boston Celtics
    10 a.m. to 2 p.m. -- Memphis Grizzlies
    10 a.m. to 3 p.m. -- Philadelphia 76ers
    10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. -- New York Knicks
    11 a.m. to 3 p.m. -- Portland Trail Blazers
    11 a.m. to 2 p.m. -- Dallas Mavericks
    11:20 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. -- Cleveland Cavaliers
    11:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. -- Milwaukee Bucks
    12 p.m. to 2 p.m. -- Charlotte Hornets
    12 p.m. to 4 p.m. -- Detroit Pistons
    12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. -- Oklahoma City Thunder
    2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. -- Los Angeles Lakers
    2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. -- Chicago Bulls
    3 p.m. to 5 p.m. -- Utah Jazz
    3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. -- Sacramento Kings
    5 p.m. to 8 p.m. -- LA Clippers

Teams that will not be streaming Media Day: Houston Rockets (12 p.m. to 2 p.m.), Toronto Raptors

heypartner and bmo like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

-------
    Heat
    -------
    Spo opens presser with, "Anything happen in sports this weekend or last night?"

Spo on bringing back team: 'We really wanted to find out. That’s the question I’ve been getting. Which team was it. (11-30 or 30-11)

Spo on picking up where the #Heat left off: "This ultimately what everybody wanted." He's referring to roster being retained.

Spo: "It's a polarizing time. I commend the Golden State Warriors for the decision they made. I commend the NFL for taking a stand..."

Spo says #Heat will discuss issues facing the country, anthem, etc. when camp gets underway at FAU on Tuesday

Spoelstra on issues facing country: "We will support our guys if they choose to fight this in a coherent connective way."

Spo backs Warriors/ NFL players for 'taking a stand' for equality, inclusion, against racism, bigotry. Says divisiveness is 'disheartening'

Spo: "We will support our guys if they decide to fight this in a coherent way. We all would like to see more equality and inclusion."

Spo, asked about Heat interest in Wade: "That will be a decision of Pat and Andy if it becomes a decision."

Spo on Wade buyout: ‘Everybody knows how I feel about Dwyane. … it didn’t come as a surprise.’ Adds his focus is on this group

Spo on NBA's issue of resting players: "I don't anticipate us resting guys unless they're hurt."

Spo: "These super teams are being created... but you've still got to prove it out in that arena."

Spoelstra on the Heat's roster, "Our guys are just crazy enough to think we're good enough to get the job done."

Spoelstra on whether last season's 30-11 finish was closer to the impending team identity, "We really wanted to find out."

Spo on Olynyk: "He made us look silly. He had us running around in circles for years." Says #Heat always wants guys they can't stop

-----------
    Raptors
    -----------
    Masai Ujiri on striving for change offensively: "I think we're going to at least make an effort to see how well we can do it"

"I can guarantee you one thing: Nobody's getting fired here:" Masai Ujiri giving players full support to take a stand on social issues

Masai on political climate: "I'm 110% behind our players. I can guarantee you there's no one getting fired here. They have a platform"

"We who have platforms have to stand up and speak" Ujiri again

Masai: "When we win a championship we'll deal with that issue. When we win a championship I think we'll be fine with Trudeau"

Casey on offence: "You have to adapt or you die. Tricky thing with that is you aren't going to make players into something they are not"

Masai: "Divide is not good, in my opinion. I've seen tough places divided, especially with where I come from, and it's not a good thing."

Casey says you won't turn DeRozan into Klay, have to still take advantage of strengths. Trick is evolving too

Casey: "It's more of an offensive league now, three-point game. Trick is to make sure our offence travels (to playoffs and against elite)"

"Keep up with the times, but maintain the strengths that we had."

Casey excited about young players and how they have developed with 905 and in NBA. "If you can help us win, you're going to be out there"

"It's time for them to step in, step up." Casey on the Raptors young players.

"It's not about regular season, it's about us pushing through in the playoffs ... I like that (people doubting Raptors)

Casey says 2nd unit's identity will be "young and feisty." Still up in the air if CJ Miles starts or "somebody" from young group (Norm)

Style is not going to be full 180, but Casey says must be more efficient. Can't be as predictable. "It's not totally broken"

Casey: "We've been working all summer on a style of play", said Nick Nurse is the asst primarily responsible for offence (as he has been)

As expected, Casey says he's still undecided on starting SF. Will come down to fit, between Powell and Miles. "It could be either one"

On small forward: "who fits." Praises Norm Powell's attacking ability. Wants him to add playmaking. Miles shooting fits too

Casey says Delon Wright might play small forward too. Versatile. (I also read this as FVV pushing hard at PG). It's (DW's) time.

Casey: "It's unfortunate that people even question whether athletes should have 1st Amendment rights & coming from a president it's hurtful"

Casey said he grew up in 60s and 70s. Says it's "eerily getting back to that. I've seen every form of racial injustice there is to see"

Casey on if they'd visit White House: "That would be a great problem to have."

DeRozan on offensive change: "If you get a new haircut you'll look a little different but you're still the same you"

"Spreading positivity, learning, trying to make a change. It starts on us, because we have a voice." DeRozan cont.

DeRozan on Trump-"I think the President's brought a lot of this stuff on himself, on his country. He's got to look at himself in the mirror"

DeRozan: "You've got your President on Twitter more than a 12-year-old saying the most outrageous things. It's crazy."

"I think Fred (VanVleet) is better than me at (the same early point) Lowry said. Sees similarities. Wright impresses him too

"People say stay in your lane, but we are citizens first." Lowry.

Lowry: "Sad (to see Trump) twitter rant. It's like my six-year-old. You were voted to be the leader of the free world

Lowry says team hasn't decided if they'll kneel/take part in anthem protests. "I think whatever we decide to do our league will support us"

-----------
    Wizards
    -----------
    Scott Brooks, in opening comments, begins the MVP momentum early for John Wall. Says he should be in the conversation this year.

Brooks said Morris had discomfort 3 or 4 weeks ago. But Morris and fiancee were expecting a child, and sports hernia surgery had to wait

Brooks on Morris: "One thing I know about Keef he’s as tough as a competitor as there is.” Says there is no rush to get him back on court.

Brooks asked for his reax to Trump comments & if he addressed the team. Responded by talking about team unity during anthem.

Brooks: “Whatever we decide on, we’re going to do it together.” Does not directly address Trump's comments.

When addressing John Wall's defense, Brooks says he can "continue to improve in that area," but says the entire team can use improvement.

Scott Brooks says Otto Porter Jr. playing more of the stretch-4 is a possibility in Morris's absence. But won't extend Porter's mins

Bradley Beal on Trump's comments: "Well, I feel like … that’s not a leader."

More Beal on Trump: "To me you're a clown... that's not what a leader does."

Beal: "I voiced my opinion just like everybody else ... if we can't exercise our right to freedom of speech, what are the amendments for?"

Beal said he thinks everything through before he says it.
    This is "something I firmly believe in, and I feel like I have a voice."

Bradley Beal on the goal of becoming a first-time All-Star this year:
    “If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t."

John Wall closes comments on Trump with "I don't respect him."

--------
    Sixers
    --------
    Colangelo says "I have not actively been shopping Jahlil Okafor." Maybe the Sixers pres is just trying to keep Okafor's trade value up.

On Jahlil Okafor, "there probably will be some limitations" in training camp, said Colangelo. ... He hasn't played 5-on-5 this summer.

Simmons on if his not being voted preseason ROY bcause rookies forgot about him due to not playing. His response "They'll remember."

Embiid: I feel great."

Embiid said he had two to three scans on the knee

Asked if you could play five-on-five?: "I think so."

Embiid "I'll be honest, I don't think I'll play 82 games."

---------
    Hawks
    ---------
    "It's kind of wasted time to think about or worry about what other people expect of us." - Coach Bud on outside chatter

#2 J.R., Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

heypartner and bmo like this.
  4. OTMax

OTMax Member

NBA players won’t do a damn thing like kneeling during the anthem, they are all talk. Lowry is pretty ignorant calling the US the ‘free world ‘

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

bmo likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

--------
    Thunder
    --------
    Donovan on Durant tweets:" We did communicate. I enjoyed my time with Kevin, and I felt like Kevin and I had a very, very good relationship"

Russell Westbrook answers question on contract extension evading question, then "This is the place I want to be."

-------
    Hornets
    -------
    "Top 5 defense, top 10 offense.'' -- Clifford's stated goal for this @Hornets team.

-------
    Celtics
    -------
    Stevens on player protests: I can see why it's an emotional issue (for them)."

Per Stevens: Marcus Morris will not join Celtics until his trial in Arizona concludes

Jaylen Brown: "What the President has said about rights of athletes to express themselves is unconstitutional."

Smart: “You’re gonna see me being able to guard guards like John Wall and Bradley Beal a lot better.”

----
    Heat
    ----
    Haslem says "when u think (Trump) can't say anything worse"he figures out how to. "I don't think Trump wants to fight any defensive linemen"

------
    Sixers
    ------
    Jerryd Bayless on @RealDonaldTrump: “I think what’s done in dividing us and his narrow-minded views is obviously not a good thing for the country.”

"You guys the trust the process. I had my own little process, and I felt like the time is now," Emeka Okafor on signing with #Sixers.

---------
    Grizzlies
    ---------
    Griz GM Chris Wallace says they had a great offseason and team will keep Grit and Grind mentality #MediaDay

More Wallace: Chandler Parsons will be a full participant in camp. Parsons is playing 5-on-5 #MediaDay

Chris Wallace won't talk about unsigned restricted free agent JaMychal Green

Griz coach Fizdale on Chandler Parsons: 'He'll be full go. I'm not going to use kid gloves with him. He's got to get in the fire'

Coach Fizdale says Griz are a more skilled team. He's not concerned about how the West got stronger #MediaDay

Griz coach David Fizdale on #TakeTheKnee "If my guys take a knee, I'll take a knee. I'm 100% with them" #MediaDay

Chandler Parsons: 'I feel great. My conditioning is good. I look forward to not having crazy minutes restrictions' #MediaDay

Parsons says 'I'm a huge piece to this team.' #MediaDay

------
    Knicks
    ------
    Kristaps Porzingis on if he's mad at NYK after skipping exit meetings: "No I'm coming into this season with a fresh mind. It's a new season"

Tim Hardaway Jr. says he was trying to convince Carmelo to stay but Anthony had to do what was best for him.

Enes Kanter said Russell Westbrook & Steven Adams told him to focus on basketball in while in NYC and to watch out for the New York media.

Joakim Noah says he thinks organization would want players to do any kind of protest together, but he's not sure if that will be the case.

----
    Cavs
    ----
    Cavs announce Isaiah Thomas could return by January.

Ty says Derrick Rose will start at PG until IT returns

#Cavs Tyronn Lue said he is not worried about the LeBron James speculation, says LeBron wants to win.

LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: "I was ready to give him the keys...I tried to help him be as good as he could be...I don't have any advice for him now, you're either with us or against us...it was a gratifying three years together." He said he hasn't communicated with Irving since trade.

LeBron said he won't give energy during the season to discussing free agency. "It's my obligation to go about (the season), I'll approach it when the offseason comes."

Cavs LeBron James says he "would love to have D-Wade here" but adds it's not up to him.

LeBron: "I salute the NFL, players, owners & the fans...there was solidarity, there was no divide. Even from that guy who tries to divide us."

LeBron on Trump: "The people run this country. Not one individual. And damn sure not him"

LeBron called voting for Trump "a mistake," and said people weren't "educated" who voted for him.

LeBron James says "my voice is more important than my knee." He may not kneel in protest, but chooses to speak openly about issues instead.

Cavs LeBron James won't even call Donald Trump by name. "Don't even like saying his name." Calls Trump, "that guy."

-----
    Spurs
    -----
    Manu on loaded West: "It's fun. It's great. It keeps you focused every night with the amount of talent that is around." #SpursMediaDay

LA said he took #Spurs' attempt to trade him in stride: "I wasn't worried...If it happens, it happens"

Kawhi has put GSW/ankle disappointment behind him: "I don't live life by what ifs." #SpursMediaDay

Pop on Trump: "Our country is an embarrassment in the world." #SpursMediaDay

Pop on #Spurs & politics: "Each one has the right and ability to say what they want to say...They have our full support."

Pop: “The discussion has to take place...Race is obviously the elephant in the room...Ppl have to be made to feel uncomfortable.”

Pop: "there has to be an uncomfortable element in the discourse for anything to change."

Pop on Trump. "I wonder about the people who voted for him."

-------
    Rockets
    -------
    "We're 100 percent certain it's going to work." @dmorey

D'Antoni said @Jharden13 has dropped 12 pounds from where he was at the start of camp last season.

D'Antoni: "We need to be top 5 defensively. Duh."

P.J. Tucker dealing with a strained hamstring. "We'll be careful with him," D'Antoni said.

Trevor Ariza on Tilman Fertitta: 'He has a lot of energy. He's a team guy. He's a winner. He wants to win. We do as well."

Eric Gordon said the Rockets will do something to take a stand in response to POTUS comments, but it is undecided what that will be.

Ryan Anderson on trade rumors: "This was a thing this whole summer I tried to steer clear of. We didn't want to get traded.We love it here."

Ryan Anderson: "I want to rebound the ball better. I want to run the floor harder. I'm in better shape to make the team better."

Anderson said he had a lot of conversations with Daryl Morey and Gersson Rosas, knew was "a low probability" of a trade happening.

For those that enjoy keeping up with these things on media day, Anderson said he was down 10 pounds.

-------
    Nuggets
    -------
    Mike Malone on what needs to improve this season: "Challenge is one word -- defense. Will our team commit?"

Malone: "The expectations that we're going to set upon ourselves are all that's going to matter."

Malone: "We want to be unified with whatever statement we want to make."

-------
    Pistons
    -------
    Pistons SVG on Reggie Jackson: "He can go once a day. He did play some 5-on-5 last week; we're just trying to decide how much to practice."

Pistons SVG says Andre Drummond sprained an ankle last week, but there's no major damage.

BOBAN Marjanovic can be one of the most indefensible offensive players in the league when he's on the floor - SVG

Pistons SVG on protests: "There are serious issues of inequality in this country."

Pistons SVG: "The stick-to-sports crowd -- couldn't we say that about anybody about anything?"

Pistons SVG on "stick-to-sports" narrative: "Generally what people mean is they don't want anybody who disagrees with them to speak out."

SVG: "Who's allowed to speak? We're all compelled to talk as people of conscience."

SVG: "You're either for freedom of speech or you're not. ... That's not hard -- democracy is hard."

SVG: "This stick-to-sports stuff irritates me because I don't hear people saying 'stick to business.'"

SVG on Reggie Jackson: He'll be on a minute limit; we haven't decided exactly

Pistons SVG on Reggie Jackson's return from tendinitis last season. "We really put him into an unfair situation."

Pistons SVG on stars leaving East for West: "It certainly doesn't produce sadness."

--------
    Pelicans
    --------
    Omer Asik is out. He's being treated for Crohn's disease

Gentry: I think Rondo and Holiday can work together easily.

Davis: We know (how important this year will be). We have one year, basically, to figure it out. DeMarcus came to me this offseason and said he has to win. We're just trying to win for him. I think that can lead to some great things.

#6 J.R., Sep 25, 2017
    Jontro, heypartner and bmo like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

bmo likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#13 J.R., Sep 25, 2017
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Holy **** I didn't realize how tall Ben Simmons was. Did a quick google search and it says he's a 7 footer??? Fultz looks a lot smaller than I thought standing next to those two guys.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rudy Gay in a Spurs jersey just doesn't look right.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Still? Damn that's sad. Get well soon, Omer.

18. heypartner

ha

Must admit. I laughed,,, or chorkled.

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Parsons says 'I'm a huge piece to this team.'#MediaDay

Piece of what?

20. heypartner

A huge piece of Grizzly poop that won't come out.

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.