1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 draft sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 8, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thanks for your response.
    Yes, his age seems to be moving him down multiple spots.
    The whole "finished product" argument.

And yeah, I don't see him really as a Draymond type player. But I do think it's a comparison in the sense that these are two really good seniors that will be drafted lower than they should that are hybrid type players.

Can you envision him as a Jae Crowder type player? Or even a Trevor Ariza type player? Like why couldn't he do what Ariza does in the NBA? He's already a great 3 point shooter, and a solid defender with A+ athleticism. Not enough lateral quickness?

I am wary of the turn a PF into an NBA SF experiments. But from my view I think he's more of a SF to start with, but I didn't watch enough of him at SMU.

Thoughts?

2. JayZ750

Thanks for this.

This guy's thoughts basically completely mirror mine.

Semi's floor seems to be something like a KJ McDaniels that can shoot threes... which is a player that absolutely gets PT on most rosters.... any personality issues aside. But his upside is WAY higher, in that he's a more prolific, more versatile scorer, is actually a better more explosive athlete than KJ (which was basically KJ's strength), and a better defender.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Draftexpress has OG slipping into the 20's.

I think that he could be a steal in that range. He reminds me a lot of Aminu, I think OG has the potential to a better version of Aminu with his finishing at the rim and even greater defensive capabilities.

He's has a very poor and raw offensive game. No handle. That being said he has the tools to be a real difference maker on defensive end, once he fully recovers I think he'll be able to contribute immediately with his finishing and defensive abilities. What will make or brake him as a long term starter in the league will be his shot 3pt shot, no matter what I see him being able to contribute like Robertson/Aminu, but if he can develop his 3pt shot to something respectable he could be a very nice longterm starter as a 3&D forward.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not sure if Davon Reed has ben mentioned, I like his versatility.

3PT shooter who can defend some, rebound some and handle to ball some. 6'5 with a 7FT wingspan and solid athleticism. Younger senior at 22.0 years old. Might be worth a look at with our 2nd pick, or buying a late 2nd for, but he may go undrafted.

Sterling Brown is also a very similar prospect.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Projected at 36 now, so he's risen past us already.
    Could end up at the end of the first round.

A little bit project-y, but enormous potential. 6'10 athletic guy who can handle the rock, pass and shoot? I'd be all over that at the end of the first round and use 2 years to teach him to play.

8. The Stig

The Stig Member

I think Jae is the closest comparison to him at the moment (If he pans out...which I think he will). I don't see any Ariza in him to be honest. Ariza is purely a perimeter guy, which Semi isn't. We had Semi play in the post periodically in games when our F/C Ben Moore is on the bench. Another thing. I think Semi is much stronger than Ariza, whilst I'm not sure if Semi has the same lateral quickness in him that Ariza has.

So, on defense, you have some matchups like this: slower and taller 2s, most if not all 3s, smaller 4s (under 6'10/11), and undersized 5s

Your other post regarding potential personality issues, Semi is the polar opposite of a diva. He's the Texans' wet dream type of player (if he played football). He's smart, coachable, always learning, and always working. A friend told me that he has something close to a 3.9 GPA and was ready to go get an MBA if he chose to come back to Dallas and forego the draft.

Had to make a quick post so pardon the grammar errors.

9. JayZ750

Still love him as a 2nd round sleeper.

Thanks!

10. ball king23

ball king23 Member

11. basketballholic

Semi will go in the first. Still a sleeper though even in the twenties.

12. The Stig

The Stig Member

I agree and I hope he does! It'll be a great to see that our basketball program is capable of producing first round talents!

As for 2nd round sleepers, I also think that Sterling Brown is another under the radar guy. He's Shannon Brown's younger brother and has been SMU's elite perimeter defender that can guard from 1-3. He's a great 3 point shooter, high BB IQ kind of guy, and can create his own shot if he's got a couple of spot up shots down. @JayZ750 mentioned about an Ariza comparison and I think Sterling is much more comparable to him as oppose to Semi (excluding measurables). Sterling definitely can become an elite 3 and D guy in the NBA and those type of players are becoming hot commodities in modern day hoops.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. ball king23

ball king23 Member

curve ball ivan rabb houston

14. ball king23

ball king23 Member

nigel williams goss

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Isiah hartenstein

16. ball king23

ball king23 Member

xaiver rathan mayes

17. ball king23

ball king23 Member

18. ball king23

ball king23 Member

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Really hoping we pick up Oliver. Sign that dude to a 4 year NG contract fast.

20. basketballholic

What is it that you see in Oliver that you keep pumping him? Give me some hope here.