1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I of course don't know whether BILD's info was right, but it reminds me of the times CyberX, Codman etc know inside info but the deals then end up imploding because of the fluid business.

Köln openly wanted to hire Heldt but were shot down by Kind, so they had to completely switch things up and contact Veh.
    Seeing how Bosz wasn't even fired yet, he'd of course take an influential role for Köln instead.

I also had reliable insider info (private, trustable contact) years ago that said Thiago's brother and Felipe Anderson were 99% signing with us, but the deals fell through last-minute.

Not trying to defend BILD in any way and it's possible that they made this up, but people too often say that insider info was completely made-up when a deal doesn't happen.

2. Raz

Raz Member

At least now we know Köln's downfall was not on Stöger. Up 3-0 against Freiburg, losing 3-4 due to commiting two idiotic penalties in the final minutes. Gotta love them.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The business is brutal. Four extremely successful years and now sacked although basically every good player was injured.

Always pathetic how management blames coaching instead of admitting the real issues, just to save their asses.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What a mistake by Man C. to allow the equalizer.

Citizens seem to have solidified the No.1 seed.

#965 daywalker02, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Manchester is Blue!!!!!!

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Will be interesting to see how they do in the CL knockout stages, we also celebrated Pep during the first 3/4 of each season and then had a rude awakening.
    Surely looking good right now, though.

moestavern19 likes this.
  8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Pep has a certain autonomy over the players and development right now and he is impressive as a talent recognizer even if he is stubborn tactically at times.

The last few years they were feasting on bad teams and rolling over for the top 4.

So far this season they have shown the grit to poach wins when needed.

Pep has been wise to play Sane and Sterling on the wings with KDB and Silva creating behind IMO. Maybe it is better than playing Aguero and Gabriel Jesus together up front.

Upgrading aging Zabaleta with Kyle Walker helps a lot too. He's been pretty effective.

Ederson made 2 great saves to deny Man U their 2nd. That is the kind of December result in Old Trafford that can put a death grip on the title.

Still need a 2nd center to play nearly as well as Otamendi.

daywalker02, ChrisBosh and Yung-T like this.
  9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Manchester City is
    Agreed City need another CB and probably another LB/RB, BUT I think you forgetting how well John Stones was playing prior to his injury. I thought his progression is a integral part of the reason for their success. I might be in the minority to say this, but City hasn't quite been the same since he went down, kids got great composure on the ball and tends to make clean crisp passes from the back, big reason for the midfielders doing even better. He still makes some poor decisions but he's stepped his game in the right direction. Just has minor things to work on before he could be considered one of the best in the EPL.

Also, got to say that Mendy is also someone who makes this team so dangerous. Loved how they looked with the guy, too bad he went down, would be world beaters if he had remained healthy. Delph and Danilo just don't belong in that position, the ManU game just confirmed that.

I think with Mendy and another world class CB this team does not get beat by anyone, don't care about real Madrid or Barcelona.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's not even counting guys like Bernardo and Ilkay Gündogan.

moestavern19 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

BTW wingers seem to rule this world today..... almost over are the days of just one striker in the middle.

moestavern19 likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Defenses got a lot more sophisticated over the years, so I think you can't do the old kick&rush or crosses into the penalty area anymore.
    Wingers will always provide this element of surprise with 1on1 play and also open up the defense a lot more by stretching the defensive line out to the entire width of the pitch.

Football is in constant development though, so it wouldn't surprise me if crafty coaches can come up with a strategy to neutralize wingers (see it a bit when teams double/triple wingers rigorously) that leads to the old 4-4-2 being more popular again in the future.

moestavern19 likes this.
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Tottenham-Juventus
    Manchester City-Basel
    Liverpool-Porto
    Manchester United-Sevilla
    PSG-Real Madrid
    Roma-Shakhtar Donetsk
    Barcelona-Chelsea
    Beşiktaş-Bayern

14. Raz

Raz Member

Woah, we dodged a bullet here. It was 50/50 Barca or Besiktas. Love the outcome, of course. Thx, Xabi!

Great draw. Three interesting matchups with Tottenham-Juventus, PSG-Real and Barca-Chelsea. Hope the schedule allows to watch all three.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Great draw for Bayern, easy win.
    PSG-Real and Barca-Chelsea will be hot contests, but think both Spanish teams will prevail.
    Predicted winners:

Tottenham-Juventus
    Manchester City-Basel
    Liverpool-Porto
    Manchester United-Sevilla
    PSG-Real Madrid
    Roma-Shakhtar Donetsk
    Barcelona-Chelsea
    Beşiktaş-Bayern

Overall really close matches except for City-Basel and Bayern-Besiktas, every other team can win.

16. Raz

Raz Member

Real vs PSG on Valentine's Day. That's love.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

BVB with luck of the draw, going up vs Bergamo.
    RB has to face Napoli though, will be extremely difficult.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Those are my picks, too. Shame that PSG and Real have to play so early.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

They might as well have just waved City and Bayern straight through lol.

Agree with all your choices but I'll go out there and say I'll pick PSG over Madrid. Come at meeeeee brehhhhhh!

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Great points.
    With Mendy and Walker at full back they are even more dangerous on both flanks.
    I will say that they don't need another world class CB. They just need Stones back and a healthy Kompany in the mix with Otamendi. Then give the kid Adarabioyo some more opportunities. Either way , the (football) world is theirs this season.
    :(

daywalker02 likes this.