1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2017-18 International Signing Period

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'm trying to figure a rough translation for how the international signees value compares to the Rule 4 draftees. Obviously given the odd rules (teams' ability to go over the pool as much as they want if they accept the next 2 year limitations, etc.), it's not accurate to take the bonus amounts and translate them into Rule 4 draft slots.

I do think $300k is a meaningful number since it represents the max a restricted team can spend on a player. I would guess that any player that signs for <$300k would most likely go undrafted (or at best be an extremely late round pick). Those points combined with just analyzing what % of MLB players come from the Rule 4 draft vs the international signings should provide the key thresholds. I believe 25-30% of players come from outside the Rule 4 draft.

With all that in mind, I think a decent rule of thumb would be to rank the international signees by signing bonus and multiply that rank by 4 and that would be where the player would have been drafted. Based on that, the $300k guys would probably be drafted somewhere in the 20th to 30th round.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ramirez and Gonzalez appeared in the DSL Blue team's 10-3 win over the Braves today.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Astros' transactions page recently slipped in some IFA signings while nobody was looking...

7/20/17: SS Sebastian Grullon (DR)
    8/9/17: SS Jose Mendoza (Venezuela)
    8/14/17: C Jonarkys Lopez (Venezuela)
    8/18/17: LHP Daniel Bello (DR)
    8/21/17: IF Rolando Espinosa (Cuba)
    8/23/17: RHP Jeremy Molero (Venezuela)
    8/24/17: RHP Franny Cobos (Cuba)
    8/30/17: SS Hector Leon (Venezuela)
    9/22/17: LHP Julio Robaina (Cuba)
    2/28/18: RHP Jherson Pereira (Venezuela)

#23 tellitlikeitis, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Astros being televised in the Postseason in which Young Latin Players are watching Correa, Altuve, Yuli, Marwin. Look up to them. The World Series really benefitted us in a huge way. The players are signing way less it's amazing to see because it would've been impossible if we were a losing Franchise and giving Millions to only a couple of players. Great, Amazing Job by everyone to Jim Crane, Jeff Luhnow, the Latin Department of the Astros, The Latin Scouting and Signing has been wonderful, The Dominican Academy is a wonderful Facility and teaching young kids English also. Hopefully we can get a New Facility, a Venezuelan Academy again.

5. conquistador#11

make venezuelan academy glorious again! bring the next altuve and marwin for 2028!

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Lol no one wants to go to Venezuela right now. That academy ain’t coming back anytime soon.

Hemo_jr and texans1095 like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Astros Venezuelan Prospects over the Years Johan Santana, Bobby Abreu, Melvin Mora, Richard Hidalgo, Magglio Ordonez (was rejected by Astros) Jose Altuve (Got rejected) but Altuve came back to Astros scouts and proved them wrong and signed for less, whatever the Astros offered he accepted. Rule V is the worst thing in MLB, plus Gerry Hunsicker is terrible at knowing prospects. Losing Johan Santana, Bobby Abreu, Melvin Mora in Rule V. It is just refreshing that we have a smarter Front Office, signing and keeping top Latin Talent now.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If the players get developed and improve at higher levels, hopefully they get more incentives, and more salary. Teoscar Hernandez comes to mind signed for $15,000 but developed strength power contact. I think he is going to develop for Blue Jays.

9. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Bobby Abreu was a victim of the expansion draft, not Rule V draft.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

IB4 someone says Rule 5. :)

11. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Teo did great for the Jays last year and will continue to produce for them. They got a great deal in that trade.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I ask because I honestly dont know, but has any Intl-national player ever made the Astros ML club that was drafted and moved up through the ranks?

13. bobrek

There is not an International draft, so I'll say no. :)

NIKEstrad likes this.
  14. bobrek

But, if you're talking about international signings, that Altuve guy is pretty good.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What I meant was players discovered and brought to the ML club through these various foreign camps.

16. bobrek

On the current 40 man roster, you have:

Altuve
    Guduan
    Gustave
    Perez
    Gurriel

No Worries likes this.
  17. raining threes

I wonder if the Abreu that just signed is kin to Bobby Abreu?

Is Betances kin to the Yankees Betances?

18. raining threes

You've got 2 starters on a WS team and a MVP.

Plus 3 young pitchers with great arms.

Give me some more of that.

19. bobrek

And you've got guys like Franklin Perez and Michael Feliz who were key components in the Verlander and Cole trades.

raining threes likes this.
  20. raining threes

People dont understand how vital it is to have a great intl scouting program. Especially since the MLB team is going to be really good for atleast the next 3 to 5 years and the MLB draft picks will be at the bottom of the 1st rd ans all rounds.