1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2016 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The numbers/value that Dexter Fowler put up this season would be a decent ceiling for Laureanoof everything goes right.

2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Ramon Laureano is definitely a sleeper to get some PT in the outfield for the Astors in 2017. Has been really impressive as of late

Rockets Pride likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

Prospect Report: http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/al...amon-laureano-garrett-stubbs-earn-promotions/

"I was talking with an Astros prospect guru the other day, and he asked me for a comp to Laureano. Because of their similar builds, my mind immediately went to the Astros superstar second baseman, Jose Altuve. But looking past the statistics and surface-level stuff, Laureano is that type of player. He’s involved in everything on the field, he’s an aggressive, scrappy, smaller guy, and he has a surprising amount of pop despite his unassuming stature."

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Altuve can't be a good comp for Laureano. There are some similarities (slight builds, speed, scrappy, similar power), but they are really different players. Laureano has some things Altuve doesn't (ability to play CF, probably more power/walk potential), but he does not and never will have Altuve'a contact ability.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Absolutely.

To be fair, the article calls it "incredibly unfair" to compare him to Altuve. Of course no prospect will have a contact tool comparable to Altuve. The writer merely noted some similar characteristics between the two and called them the same "type" of player (which is relatively accurate). I think the overriding gist was that there are *some* similarities between the players, so the classic player profile/comparison may not have been the best verbiage.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Buck Nasty

[​IMG]

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.caller.com/story/news/l...ll-domestic-violence-beating-video/423442002/

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/03/14/a...omestic-violence-video-lancaster-barnstormers

A former Astros prospect has been released after the emergence of a shocking video in which he is seen beating his girlfriend.

Danry Vasquez, a 24-year-old outfielder from Venezuela, was arrested in August 2016 on domestic violence charges and released by the team. He was playing for the Double A Corpus Christi Hooks at the time of his arrest.

Charges against Vasquez were dismissed after completed the terms of a plea deal, which included taking classes and paying a fine, Nueces Couty district attorney Mark Gonzalez told Corpus Christi NBC affiliate KRIS.

The station also obtained video of the incident, captured by a security camera in a stairwell at the Hooks’ home stadium. In the video, which can be seen at the top of this page, Vasquez repeatedly strikes the woman and drags her down the stairs.

After the video was published, the Lancaster Barnstormers of the independent Atlantic League announced they had released Vasquez.

“Upon being made aware of the nature of the incident, the Barnstormers made a prompt decision to cut ties with the 24-year old outfielder,” the team said in a statement.

The “nature of the incident” was well publicized before the Barnstormers signed Vasquez in January, though. A simple Google search would have turned up dozens of news stories about his arrest.

Vasquez “allegedly struck his girlfriend multiple times,” the Associated Press reported at the time of his arrest.

“Officers tell us that back in August, Vasquez allegedly backhanded his girlfriend three times in a stairwell at Whataburger Field,” KZTV reported in January 2017.

Vasquez played two seasons in the Venezuelan winter league after his release by the Astros, batting .241 with four homers and 31 RBIs in 100 games.

“Danry is a guy whose name I got from someone in winter ball,” Lancaster manager Ross Peeples said when the Vasquez signing was announced. “After talking with several other people about him, I am very excited to bring him in. He was a prospect a few years ago and is still pretty young. I am excited to see what he can do in our ballpark.”

After the release of the video, though, Peeples decided the team had to let Vasquez go.

“There is no choice but to sever the relationship,” Peeples said in a statement. “Neither I, nor the Barnstormers’ organization as a whole, can condone or associate with that behavior.”​

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That video is nauseating. I can’t believe he got off without prison time.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

In lighter news, mlb.com ranked Houston’s farm #4 for prospects 21 and under. All 4 of their top 100 guys are 21 or younger. My “all-21-and-younger” team:

C Toro
    1B Alvarez
    2B Arauz
    SS Nova
    3B Perez
    RF Tucker
    CF Celestino
    LF R Rodriguez
    DH H Martinez
    C Perry
    OF Machado
    IF M Sierra
    IF Carrasco

P Whitley
    P Bukauskas
    P Solis
    P H Perez
    P C Perez
    P Macuare
    P E Rodriguez
    P Ivey
    P Solomon
    P P Sandoval
    P Bielek
    P Javier

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, what a piece of **** Danry is. It's not even like his girlfriend was pushing him or trying to set him off. He's just hauling back and hitting with seemingly no provocation. I can't believe he got no jail time too.

13. pw1993

pw1993 Member

That team would probably do at least as well as the Reds this year.

14. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

15. Buck Turgidson

Let's be go time....

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

https://climbingtalshill.com/2018/05/02/is-it-time-for-the-astros-to-make-lineup-changes/

Another name to watch for is Drew Ferguson. The righty-hitting outfielder is off to a hot start with a .343/.435/.525 line and has four steals in six tries. He’s less of a speed threat than Kemp but does provide some pop, with 11 extra-base hits thus far.

I was just browsing over our AAA roster yesterday and Drew caught my notice. I dont see his name thrown around in call-up conversations. He is an OF'r after all.

17. Nook

Nook Member

His issue is between his ears.

He still hasn't made the changes to his delivery that they asked him to make.

He has a real Tim Redding feel to him....... we will know it is "bye bye time" if Martes goes full Redding and tells his pitching coach to "**** off".