1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Raz

Raz Member

So we basically trade Douglas Costa for James Rodriguez and if he doesn't fit in, we can just move on in two years and save €25M? Best deal of the summer. I was worried about a high transfer sum and James maybe not adapting to Bayern or the Bundesliga. That's not an issue anymore.

What do you guys think? What kind of player do we need next? We should be good in defense and midfield, the rotation on the wing with Robben, Ribéry and Coman on the other hand is indeed a little short. James may be able to help out, but then we still need a solid backup for Lewandowski.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sanchez would make the most sense and that one insider insists on him, but I think he'll be too expensive.

Martial would also make sense, didn't get consistent playing time and can play as a winger or striker. Also fits our youth approach.

Brazilian breh Roger Guedes would still be my favourite prospect, but I haven't heard any rumors of us looking at him (although it's known that Bayern are actively scouting at Palmeiras matches). There's been a weird rumor of Bremen making a 10mil offer, but I don't see why Palmeiras would do this. His stock should skyrocket in the upcoming months, Palmeiras and his agents know this.

3. Raz

Raz Member

No need to overpay Sanchez and I'm not too impressed from what I saw the last couple of months anyway. Guess United would also call for an "english" price for Martial, so that's a waste of time as well. I'd rather see a real center forward, since we have Gnabry and possibly Brandt coming over in 2018 or 2019. Not too many options here though.
    Never heard of Guedes, but Bayern never did too well bringing players from South America directly over.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Feel like the new generation of them are adapting better to European football. I occasionally watch Brazilian league and it extremely improved in the past few years, there's way more pressing and passing nowadays.

The current Brazilian talent pool is crazy, I hate to see us miss out on so many guys that will dominate. Followed guys like Neymar, Oscar, Willian, Bernard, Jesus, Gabigol, Vinicius when they were playing over there and on Brazil youth squads, their talent was obvious but Bayern and other clubs never took the necessary gamble.

Forgot about Brandt, but with Robben and Ribery retiring in one or two seasons, we'd still only have Gnabry, Coman and Brandt available. We'd be extremely dependent on them developing into true stars, not sure going cheap is a good solution.

5. Raz

Raz Member

Do you think they can show up next year at the World Cup already? Haven't seen a good Brazilian team in quite some time, so I don't believe the hype yet.

True. Just don't think Sanchez is the right way. If we have to put money on the table in one or two years, maybe Draxler or (even though I detest him right now for multiple reasons) Werner would be the better choice.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No way imo, the current generation is a bit mediocre compared to older ones. Their true gems are 16-24 years old atm and barely have any European experience, so there'll be a growth period in upcoming years. Think they have decent chances at the 2022 and 2026 WC though, if these guys pan out as expected. The offensive talent is off the charts and in contrast to recent years, the defensive midfield and backrow seems better talent-wise.

Draxler played great for PSG and Germany, agreed.

*projectile vomits*

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Mentioned Bayern's interest in Palmeiras' Vitinho a while back, Barca unfortunately loaned the breh today and also aquired a 12mil buying option.

City apparently buying Douglas Luiz from Vasco da Gama, my Brazilian targets dropping like flies.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Is this a best of Copa Libertadores prospects list? Where's it from?

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ajax just gave an update, Nouri unfortunately with severe and permanent brain damage which ends his career and normal life.
    Worst outcome possible, hope his family stays strong.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

From an Asian news article, for Asian leagues where you can't spend much these times. To find the new Hulk, the new Falcao, new Argentinian players.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nelson Semedo to FC Barca.

Kyle Walker to Man City.

#1332 daywalker02, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  13. The Stig

The Stig Member

Is it too late to return CP3 to the Clippers and sign Messi instead? :p

Yung-T likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nice debut for LFC's Salah.

10 Cout - 9 Firm - 11 Salah the Connection

BTW Can't believe Barca hasn't seriously started to court Coutinho. Oops..

#1334 daywalker02, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Rummenigge saying we won't buy a forward this summer, I don't like it.
    Also confirmed rumors of Milan wanting a Sanches transfer, Rummenigge usually only talks this openly when an agreement is close.

Rumors are Milan wants a loan plus 47mil buying option, which would be okay money for that kind of talent.
    I still think he'll be a beast in a few years, but with all those reports of him not even trying to learn German or English, I understand why we'd prefer to sell him.

16. The Stig

The Stig Member

Any idea where Alexis Sanchez might end up? Seems like the usual links, Bayern and Juventus, have all gotten their attacking midfielders over the past week and a half or so. I'd love it if United could end their pursuit for Perisic and get Alexis instead. RVP-feel all over again.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wouldn't mind him sticking around till his contract ends up.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The kid seemed like a good one too. Personally and professionally.

I don't speak dutch but this is a good video even if one can't understand what's being said

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Milan close to signing Morata for 70mil.
    They've been extremely active this transfer window, already having signed Bonucci, Silva, Conti, Calhanoglu, Rodriguez, Biglia, Musacchio, Kessie, Donnarumma.
    Seems their new owner is serious about making Milan great again, Juve will have some serious competition in upcoming years.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Milan and Inter are all in Chinese owner's hands.