1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Rate My Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by FLASH21, Aug 29, 2015.

1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I think your team is solid in the positions that count. As far as getting a "clear cut WR1". TY can be/is that guy. I agree with Flash; you can wait before trying to unload one of your RB's. You've got 4 RB's that could potentially be STUDS, if you can be patient then I can guarantee that people will be knocking you over with offers for them.

As far as the other positions I think your better than average at QB but your TE is definitely low end. I would've looked to target an Eiffert or Rudolph before drafting Delanie. But you never know, Mariota could very well make Delanie at least average.

All in all, I'd call it a solid team. If Philip gives you true QB1 numbers, then you should easily be a viable contender in your league, even BEFORE you decide to make any trades.

2. primtim24

I think your opinion is spot on. I think his WR depth is very below average for an 8-team league. Same thing at RB, you should have had much better depth behind lacy than Alfred Morris and "Julius Randle".

If Aaron puts up his usual numbers, then you should at least compete, but I think you need someone (or someone's) to over perform or you might be in trouble.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Drafting a QB high in an standard 8 team league blows my mind. You could be stacking two RB1s or two WR1s and you decide to take a guy whose production you can still find within a -20% range 8-9 rounds later? Ridiculous.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

10 man PPR, 6pt QB TD, bonus for 300 yds passing, 100 & 200 rec, 100 & 200 rushing, 40+ yd plays. 2WR, 2RB, 1Flex.

I won this league last year ($600) when it was a 12 man but not as confident this year. 10-man makes it so easy.

Big Ben/Bradford
    Dez/Evans/Antonio Brown/Funchess/Harvin
    Forsett/Ivory/Woodhead/Martin
    Kelce
    Miami
    Parkey

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Clown league bro. Good luck with those RBs.

6. what

what Member

In the main, I agree with Moe that you should NEVER draft a qb too highly unless it is rodgers or luck, and drafting two highly rated qbs on the same team is egregious.

However, I have been working on an idea over the past couple of seasons where you go into the draft trying to limit the amount of qbs (thinning the field as it were) as a means to make your qbs dominate in such a way as it makes it worth the risk.

It's no secret that your most consistent fantasy points are going to come from your qb, but most people take it as a given that there is not enough separation between qbs to make it worth it to draft a qb in the early rounds, much less two or in the case of this strategy 4 in the top 7 picks.

There are many ideas behind this, but in general a qb is usually the reason you will win or lose your fantasy season.

Scenario 1: the Cam Newton/Micheal Vick/Nick Foles effect. Every year a team who disregards the qb position altogether lucks into a stub qb and wins the league with him. (Basically, this owner never gets punished for drafting a qb in the 10th round or beyond because he lucks into a player that comes out of nowhere to lead the league in fantasy production with qbs).
    What is lost is that the other 5 owners who did the same thing are in the middle of the pack in the league
    Basically speaking, letting an owner do this to you is crazy. If you draft rodgers in the first round and you let a guy draft Cam in the 10th you are losing all the way around. The trick here is to figure out which players COULD be the next cam and draft them, and that means making sure you draft Mariota and Winston, etc.

Scenario 2: the injury bug. If you limit the field of qbs (and I mean really limit them), you need to target the guys that are both most likely to be heathly and let other teams draft the guys that are good but could get injured. So say you decide to leave Tony Romo, Brees and Manning out there: all of these guys could get injured at some point which makes your investment in qbs an even bigger deal. When you draft this way you are banking on the fact that some qbs are likely to get injured.

Scenario 3: you are able to really dominate the bye weeks and give yourself a sizeable lead because of your qb situation.

There are a few prerequisites to this strategy, namely that you really need to have a league that drafts 18 rounds or more. Like in the Nffc, a league that drafts 20 rounds. Trying to do this is a 12 round draft is stupid.

7. primtim24

10 team league, roster construction 1-QB, 2-RB's, 2-WR's, 1-RB/WR, 1-TE, 1-K, 1-DEF. I had the 10th pick, but we do 1 keeper per team, Eddie Lacy was my keeper. The other keepers were Jeremy Hill, Le'Veon Bell, Gronk, Peyton, Aaron Rodgers, Antonio Brown, Andre Ellington, Odell Beckham, and Matt Forte.

The Real McCoy s
    1. (10) Eddie Lacy (GB - RB)
    2. (11) A.J. Green (Cin - WR)
    3. (30) Jordan Matthews (Phi - WR)
    4. (31) Mark Ingram (NO - RB)
    5. (50) Jeremy Maclin (KC - WR)
    6. (51) Todd Gurley (StL - RB)
    7. (70) Tony Romo (Dal - QB)
    8. (71) Travis Kelce (KC - TE)
    9. (90) Ryan Tannehill (Mia - QB)
    10. (91) Steve Smith Sr. (Bal - WR)
    11. (110) Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB)
    12. (111) Eddie Royal (Chi - WR)
    13. (130) New York (NYJ - DEF)
    14. (131) Kendall Wright (Ten - WR)
    15. (150) Blair Walsh (Min - K)

I'm concerned about my RB depth. But I feel if Gurley does what he's supposed to do, I should be ok.

8. what

what Member

You drafted Jordan Mathews insanely high, and AJ Green is barely justifiable at the position you took him at. And it looks like you passed on Dez Bryant, AP and Calvin unless I'm missing something.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Somebody kept Andre Ellington?

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

We did our draft last night. The yahoo draft grades gave me the highest in our league but what do y'all think? 10 team ppr btw

QB: Tom Brady, Nick Foles
    WR: Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Alshon Jeffrey, Keenan Allen, Victor Cruz
    RB: Isaiah Crowell, Alfred Blue, Arian Foster, Doug Martin, Bishop Sankey
    TE: Jimmy Graham
    DEF: Denver, Arizona
    K: Matt Prater

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Might be the worst RBS in a 10 team I have ever seen.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I never bother drafting running backs high. They can always be found on the waiver wire. there are only about 5 running backs a year that are a sure thing.

Anyway, I'm projected to go undefeated

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Good luck with that.

14. primtim24

Dez, and AP were gone. I did pass on Calvin, he just has been too injured for me. I felt like I could count on A Green to have a better year than CJ. (Just my personal preference).

And yes, someone kept Andre Ellington. Our keepers are based on round drafted, so he felt losing a 3rd rounder for Ellington was the best for HIS team....

15. what

what Member

I think you are doing a lot of speculating. Two of your top 6 picks are very unproven players: Gurley and Mathews and 1 player (Mark Ingram) is on a team that has been consistently unfriendly to running backs, New Orleans.

I feel that John Brown is at least as capable of a breakout season as Mathews is (what round did he go in, I bet it wasn't round 3.). Honestly I would have taken Arian Foster over Mathews AND ingram, I might even have taken Frank Gore over those two.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

QB: Cam Newton
    RB: Laveon Bell
    RB: Alfred Moreis
    WR: Calvin Johnson
    WR: Randall Cobb
    WR: Sammy Watkins
    TE: Jimmy Graham
    DST: Arizona
    Kicker: Cody Parkey

Bench:
    Tom Brady
    Mike Wallace
    Chris Ivory
    Arian Foster
    Antonio Gates
    Julian Edelman

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

12 team ESPN PPR league, had the last pick in a snake draft. This is a new money league I joined.

Interesting setup in that they do QB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DST. I was torn between Rodgers, Beckham, Gronk in Rd 2 as the top RBs were gone and didn't want to reach on J.Hill.

QB: Rodgers (13), S.Bradford (108)
    RB: L.Murray (36), A.Abdullah (60), D.Sproles
    WR: Dez Bryant (12), Jordan Matthews (37), Allen Robinson (61), Martivus Bryant (84) Roddy White (109)
    TE: J.Cameron (85), A.Gates
    DST: Eagles, Cardinals
    K: Bullock

#57 DieHard Rocket, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

QB is pretty studly, especially if both can stay healthy. I would have went Gronk and Dez but it's your team not mine. Good job at nabbing Martavis in the late rounds, good value for that pick.

You're team will probably struggle at RB and TE. I have no trust in any Oakland Raider not named Amari Cooper at the moment. We'll see if Latavius picks up the slack where most RB failed to within the past few seasons.

Buena suerte!

1 person likes this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Solid draft, good depth overall.... how many teams in this league? Your's looks too stacked to be 10 or 12 even.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Latavius Murray isn't a bad gamble pick at his current ADP. His size/speed combo is insane, but it is a question if his talent can overcome health issues and a poor run blocking offensive line. Since the Raiders defense is perpetually bad, his value hinges on whether or not he can be useful in the passing game, or else Roy Helu will start to eat into his snaps.

1 person likes this.