1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sounds like Charlie is hating.

[​IMG]StateoftheTexans.com
    Former Houston Texans GM Slams Jadeveon Clowney and He is Wrong

[​IMG]
    PATRICK STARR
    Yesterday at 7:44 PM

Former Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly had some choice words concerning the play of Jadevoen Clowney.

Former Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly was a guest of the “Sports Junkies” on 106.7 the Fan in the Washington DC area. Casserly was asked about the NFL playoff schedule and he discussed the Houston Texans and New England Patriots.

Casserly mentioned that he thought the Texans cornerbacks were not good enough to match up with the Patriot receivers and Martellus Bennett. The radio hosts were complimentary of Jadeveon Clowney but Casserly decided to go in on the Texans Pro Bowler and All-Pro selection.

Casserly mentioned on 106.7 the Fan “Sports Junkies”:

“Let me say this about Clowney, I watched him the other day. I haven’t really watched him much this year, he did not play well that first New England game. They ran at him and my prediction, they are going to run at him again.

"He is a flash guy now, he has extraordinary ability when he puts his hand in the ground and wants to rush on the outside. His quickness, athletic ability. He doesn’t play hard every play and doesn’t have great instincts. So I am going to run at this guy, I am going to make this guy earn his money."

"He is a highlight guy is what he is right now. He can hit homeruns now, he just doesn’t hit them all the time. He doesn’t try to hit them all the time and he can’t think well enough all the time.”

We can go on about Casserly’s comment, but somehow the lack of "instincts" and not thinking "well enough" led to a game changing interception that Clowney himself broke down in the post game press conference after the Texans wildcard win over the Oakland Raiders.

On his interception of Connor Cook, Clowney broke down the play. “Film study. When 30 (Jalen Richard) came into the game, we knew they like to get the ball to him,“ explained Clowney. “He’s a screen guy, he ran away from me. If he didn’t cut me, I knew he was going to throw the ball so he didn’t go for the cut like I thought off the rush. I made a play on the ball.”

Then he was asked again in the same press conference and broke down the play again.

“30 (Jalen Richard) was in the game and they like to get the ball to this guy on screen plays and draws,” Clowney said again. “When he ran, they ran away like a roll pass, he was trying to block back but he didn’t block or cut me so I said I am going to guard him and they threw the ball back for a screen and I took it.”

This is a small example of the work Clowney puts in and the film does not lie regarding the effort he puts on the field. Either way, Casserly is off with his assessment of Clowney.

Want to Hear the Segment?

Segment 2 (1.10.2017) “Charley Casserly” about 7:45 into the conversation. Listen Here

Read more: http://sports790.iheart.com/onair/k...lams-jadeveon-clowney-15458773/#ixzz4VSxIbxd8

3. conquistador#11

clowney needs the rite of passage moment
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

red5rocket and jbasket like this.
  4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

No thanks! i'd rather him do this to his opponents.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

He got 10.5 sacks in 8 games

in my Madden season

Houstunna likes this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/01/...ildly-overrated-wont-be-problem-for-patriots/

BOSTON (CBS) — Adam Jones believes the Texans are nothing more than a “speed bump” in the way of the Patriots this weekend, giving the team from Houston “zero chance to actually win the game” in Foxboro on Saturday evening.

The reasons for this belief are plentiful, but Jones singled out the overreaction to one strong performance from Jadeveon Clowney as one area where analysts are missing the mark.

“I think the Texans’ personnel is overrated,” Jones said, though he did exclude the secondary from the conversation. “I don’t think their personnel overall, especially on defense, is good at all.”

Jones said he was annoyed that J.J. Watt managed to get himself on television more than any active players during the Texans’ win over Oakland last weekend, but he was also bothered by the treatment of Clowney.

“The other thing that annoyed me was the commentary on Jadeveon Clowney,” Jones said. “I know he’s going to the Pro Bowl, but I’m sitting here watching and they’re treating him like he is this game-breaking player. And I’m just watching the game, and I’m going … the play he made on Connor Cook, Cook threw the ball right into [Clowney’s] helmet. I mean, I guess it was a nice catch. But what did Jadeveon Clowney do on that play? Maybe he sniffed the play out, but Connor Cook should have looked at him and said, ‘K, I’m not throwing to where the [play] was designed, because Jadeveon Clowney is standing right there and he’s 6-foot-6 and he’s probably going to at least bat the ball, maybe even pick off the ball.’ So that was a bad play call, bad decision by the quarterback. I guess it was a nice catch by Jadeveon Clowney, but I wasn’t overly impressed by that play.”

Jones continued.

“They treat him like he’s one of the stud defensive ends in the league on the broadcast. And he’s going to a Pro Bowl, so I guess his peers and the media feel the same way,” Jones said before digging into the stats. “Jadeveon Clowney had six sacks this year. Six. And I know that’s not the end all-be all, but that’s a pretty good starting point when it comes to rushing the passer. He has less sacks than Trey Flowers does this season. Chris Long, for God’s sake, has almost caught up to him [with four sacks]. … For him to be within shouting distance of Jadeveon Clowney, and for Clowney to be considered a game-changer and one of the best defensive ends in football, a Pro Bowl defensive end, to me is asinine.

“He had six sacks this year. Do you know who he came against? They came against the Bears, the Titans (decent enough team but not a playoff team at 9-7), Detroit (barely snuck into the playoffs because the Washington Redskins choked in Week 17, and we all saw what a mess their offensive line is the other night against Seattle). The final three sacks came in [his] final three weeks of the year against the murderer’s row that was the Indianapolis Colts, the Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Cincinnati Bengals. He had six all year, and most of them came against absolute garbage competition.”

Jones summed up his point thusly: “You know who is one, overrated, and two, I am not worried about one bit this week because the Patriots will game-plan him right out and they won’t have to worry about him at all? That would be one Jadeveon Clowney. … It seems to me like the guy is way overrated, and it seems to me like most of his production comes against absolute garbage competition.”

In case it wasn’t clear: “I think he’s wildly overrated because he had one big hit in college football where he knocked someone’s helmet off.”

Us being extreme underdogs is really bringing out the d-bags in the media/boston

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

We aren't good; just the number one defense in the League. Dang, if only we were the number zero defense, that would quiet the haters!

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

We could of had Jadeveon Clowney and Derek Carr on the same team. I cry every time I think of it. I get Michael Jordan's crying face.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's crazy because that's exactly what I was wanting to happen the entire year leading up to the draft. I thought Carr was the best QB in the draft, but knew that so few people agreed that he'd fall into the 2nd and I agreed with the consensus of the nation that Clowney should be the top overall pick. It would have been awesome.....then again Houston has such terrible fans that the second he threw his first pick they would make up their minds that he was the worst QB ever and we know he wouldn't have had a passable O line so it's possible that he wouldn't have ever looked good here.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

We could have had Clowney, Aaron Rodgers, Darell Revis, Bobby Wagner, Leveon Bell, and Greg Olsen.

That's at least six crying faces

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I think he had that with microfracture surgery...

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Like I said in the other threads.. in Oakland he started 0-11.. maybe here he would have been 4-7? 5-6? either way people would be rioting before he became what he is today.

Also, just a point of information.. We got clowney, they got Mack AND Carr, and an O-line.... Who is still in the playoffs?

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Except Carr didn't play in the playoffs? What's your point here?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't play in the playoffs last year either.....

houstonstime likes this.
  16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Last year Clowney didn't play in the playoffs and we lost.. soooo even?

17. Commodore

18. Commodore

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

^^^ poetry in motion.

Glad he was able to play great vs NE.

Bellichek was supposed to take away the best player.

20. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Still love how big 77 gets blown by, looks at the carnage and runs away like he didnt see it lol