1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Fantasy Football - Sleepers/Busts/Strategies/etc

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Big MAK, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Fantasy football is just around the corner. Lets hear who you're targeting, who you're letting slide, and any tactics you may be trying this season.

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Cam is going pretty early this year. I don't know if he'll be able to get anywhere close to what he did last season. I probably wont take him, unless he falls to the mid 3rd round.

I'm big on AJ Green and Julio this year. I think Welker is maybe looking at 80% of his fantasy points from last season. I also like Colston.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Some first impressions:

On the WR front: I look for Julio Jones to see an increase in production while AJ Green will probably see only modest gains. I don't see Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd being big fantasy factors. I think they will show signs of studliness here and there, but consistency is a rare trait in a rookie WR.

I don't like Cutler that much, but I think if there was a year I would want him as my backup this would be the year. Possibly over Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm really big on Dez Bryant and Trent Richardson this year.

I wouldn't take Cam unless he came in the later rounds. Some guys like Redman RB and Blackmon WR I'd take a flyer on in later rounds. Also Titus Young, I have him on my fantasy radar.

My strategy for the most part was to take skill-position players in the first 3-4 rounds, and take a 2nd tier QB, in the later rounds. Eli, was one that I found most available, along with Cutler. This season I don't see them falling that far but one QB that I could see dropping down boards is Rivers with his off season last year. I'd go after him if he fell to the late 3rd early 4th as well as Schaub those 2 may be a tad underrated on the Big Boards this season.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was able to pinpoint Jimmy Graham as my sleeper target last season.

This year I like Jared Cook to take his production to the next level and help usher in the new TE renaissance.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I would like to say picking 3 would be ideal for me this year. If I can get one of Foster, Rice, or McCoy I have the luxury of a consistent stud because the standard RB position is dying out fast. I'm not sold on Ryan Mathews being worth drafting as high as 4th overall. I'd take Rodgers or Megatron there easily before I gamble. You simply do not want to gamble in the first round, a legit stud is integral.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Early Draft I did about 3 weeks ago.

10 team / standard / autopick

QB: Newton / Cutler
    RB: Sjax / Fjax / McGahee / Spiller
    WR: Megatron / Julio Jones / Brandon Marshall / Blackmon / Michael Floyd
    TE: Finley / Cook

Thinking about dropping Floyd for Robert Meachem, but I'm not sold Meachem will put up WR1 numbers in SD with Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Brown around.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'd drop Cook and pick up Meachem, if you don't want to take the chance and drop Floyd.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Where's Vick projected these days?

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nah I can't really drop Cook, I'm counting on him to be Plan B if Finley continues to disappoint. Unless he's sucking major ass into Week 3.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I've seen people taking Gronk and Jimmy Graham in the 2nd and 3rd round, so thats very early for a TE, if you see them in the 4th round (unlikely) you take one of them.

and people overrate Cam Newton, he is not going to get the same numbers just like last year draft people overrated Michael Vick.

12. drewd17

drewd17 Member

I believe closer to fourth now

13. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Breakout player is gonna be Antonio Brown this year

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think most astute players had him targeted starting last year.

Lots of Cam Newton doubters I'm seeing. My question is if his defense gets better will that hinder his stats? Yes it will. But you cannot overlook a "goalline" QB, he scored so often in GL situations which can atone for a poor passing day. I predict 3800 yards, 20 td 14 int and another 12 rushing td.

15. what

what Member

I am honestly terrified at drafting these high potential wr guys. Same goes for kenny britt, greg little, jordy nelson.

I am not sure how I'll ultimately approach the wr front, except to say that I like the proven guys far more this year: steve smith, greg jennings, vincent jackson, miles austin for value.

Moe, if you look across the landscape of the wr's pool this year there is a lot of unknown potential: denarius moore, eric decker, brandon lloyd, that if i were going to draft ANYBODY in the 2nd round or higher were Jones and Green are likely to go it would have to be for Fitz, AJ, CJ or Welker.

I'll wait till round 3 or 4 before I get my wide recievers to minimize risk. If I can get jennings, steve smith in the 3rd and 4th round, I'd be happen with that.

I don't need julio jones!

16. what

what Member

I doubt it. For one thing Ben is slowing way down. For another there is a lot of competition at wr in pittsburgh.

17. what

what Member

I would take cam in the 2nd round, if he fell that far without any hesitation. In fact this is the one year where I am considering taking a qb in round 2, since I don't see a running back that I am totally in love with in this round other than Ryan Mathews who I'm targeting as my first round selection.

I would also stay away from Lesean McCoy this year, I hate the situation he's in, and Andy Reid has already alluded to the fact that he used him WAY too much last year.

I sorta like Chris Johnson but after last year's uninspired performance he's going to have to prove something to me first.

Ryan Mathews is the only guy I say with a low round high potential value that I like in my running back. If I can get him with pick 14 or later I'll be really happy with that.

Let the sheep move up to top 5 picks and draft the "sure things."

The only guy I would consider moving up for into the top 5 is Calvin Johnson, because that dude is so far ahead of everybody else it ain't funny.

18. what

what Member

Moe, don't waste your time drafting 3rd. Move down to 12 or further and pluck up Ryan Mathews. Most people still don't view Mathews as a legit #1, while at the same time, the others you mentioned are over valued. However, of those 3, I'd take Rice. However, I wouldn't draft like that if I were you. McCoy is going to have a down year this year, no doubt in my mind.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Julio Jones is going to be a WR1 value at WR2 position. I would take him over Miles Austin every day of the week.

Decker will put up good WR2 numbers I expect. Probably 975/ 8 TD range.

Moore is skilled but most of his stats last year came against poor coverages. He has a lot of competition to deal with too with DHB, Ford, and Juron Criner around.

Still don't know why you love Mathews so much, Rivers wants to atone for his **** season last year, I see him chucking it pretty much nonstop by the middle of the third quarter as usual.

20. what

what Member

I like Mathews because his drafting status is commensurate with how I see his value. Last year I was really big on McCoy because I thought that he had room to grow. This year I think he's already topped out.

Part of why I like Mathews so much is that he is undervalued, and that will allow me to pick lower in the draft to maximize my talent. The only risk he presents is he is injury prone.