1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's first NBA Power Rankings - Rockets at #12

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dmenacela, Oct 27, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Right now, I would say these 7 teams were the strongest this week in no particular order based on record, opponent so SOS, defense & eye test:

Heat, Grizzlies, Warriors, Rockets, Bulls, Kings & Pelicans (good cases can be made for Knicks, Cavs & Mavs but all have bad defense so far).

Don't know if that should translate to best teams, but this is how I would define POWER rankings.

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Suns also very good though Jazz beat them hard.

3. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

4. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Rockets are 9th not 6th.

Yeah the bias is STRONG in this one lol

5. Amir's Johnson

He should stick to trade rumors, his love for the Mavs is the only reason they are ranked so high.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's really too bad Dwight soured in LA that much. Gasol would be great with no Love, Bosh, and or any other deal @ 4/5 on the table. Gasol promised Kobe that Houston was not a destination?

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Didnt the Mavs lose to a Spurs sans Leonard and Splitter?! oh kay der Marc Stein

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gasol just doesn't like Houston. He didn't want to be here before we got dwight.

Remember basketball reasons?

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I feel like I'm in some bizarre dream where all these national NBA talking heads seem to think the Mavs will be something great this year, whereas I have them battling it out for 6-8 seed. What am I missing?

I know Stein is full of it, but on PTI last week Wilbon said that Parsons is now finally on a serious title contender. WTF. He had previously said he could see Dallas winning the West. What in the hell is wrong with people?

10. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

11. milkoholic17

milkoholic17 Member

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Yup, it also lists our ratings and we are 4th in both offense and defense. Granted it's against bad competition, but compare that to other top ranked teams and we look good.

13. smr6

smr6 Member

Nvm Mavs ranked over us, but there are several teams with no losses so far, and Dallas moves up and still stays ahead of many of them even with a loss on their record. Doesn't really make sense.

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

It's incredibly frustrating isn't it? Here we are, behind a computer screen and we know more than these jackasses in the media.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

All double digit wins. Big defensive improvement. It appears that the loss of Lin and Parsons atleast were greatly exaggerated and that our unknown bench might actually have some useful guys.

I knew that since we started 12 the jump would only be to 8 or 9, but we would have been higher if there wasn't a preseason rank and he just started the ranks after some games were played.

Awesome how Dallas jumped 3 spots lol.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I actually prefer it. It will make it far more embarrassing for Dallas when they inevitably fail to live up to these incredibly high expectations.

17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I hope we stay under the radar and teams/fans continue to underestimate us. Last year we had a target on our backs with Howard coming in. This year, nobody is giving us a chance since we lost Parsons and struck out on Bosh.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's that bandwagon thing. The Rockets underperformed last year, so ESPN jumped off our bandwagon, and Harden and Howard fell five spots and three spots, respectively, in the top 10 Player Rankings, to #9 and #10. And the team practically falls off the national radar.

Thankfully our players have enough clout to get us some national TV appearances (although looks like us Uverse sufferers can finally catch all the games soon).

With Stein leading the way at ESPN, everyone seems to think Chandler Parsons is going to make the Mavs best in the West. They'll have good games and bad games, but like the Rockets now, the Mavs will be a semi-afterthought this time next year (except for Stein's more-tepid "well, they could still make a run" blather).

Thankfully you get the occasional intelligent comment, such as when Reggie Miller said he liked the Ariza acquisition for Houston, that he's what we need.

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Stein is a joke... He breathes Dallas

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]SI

1. Golden State
    2. San Antonio
    3. Cleveland
    4. Memphis
    5. Chicago
    6. Houston